Random News Observations

This dialog needs to spread like wildfire.

People need to be made aware this technology exists and made to comprehend the titanic role it would play in ensuring non-abusive policework, in addition to nailing the dbags who make false accusations against officers who did nothing wrong.

The ONLY people who lose with uniform cameras are dirty cops, yet observe the quiet resolve on their behalf.

**** that. Glad to see that published somewhere, even if it is in a country that's frozen beneath a glacier for 11 months of the year.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

A single cop, surrounded by other cops, fired 9 shots. No other cop fired a shot. The kid was alone on a streetcar. The Toronto PD estimates that between 20-30 shots are fired by the entire force, per year (which seems ridiculously, but I assume doesn't include specialized departments).

It may seem like a very obvious case for 2nd degree murder, but I'm very pleased it was handled correctly at least. Charging an on-duty officer with 2nd degree murder is no small thing.

I am a terrible, terrible writer.

Scram makes excellent points, but how does the monitoring work? The recording? That much data storage, and for how long?

The thing it would change is how much policing is actually done. I used to live with a cop, play on a cop softball team and hang with a bunch of them, mostly midnight shift guys, and they would play video games on shift, one would sleep while another would listen to the radio, etc

I couldnt have someone watching and listening to my every move for 12 hours at a time. They would lose candidates and have to start paying more, not to mention high ranking officials with axes to grind, monitoring certain people and not others

Are we covering detectives as well? Seems like an overall logistical nightmare. Do they have night vision? Does it turn on and off automatically or is it up to the officer, which would be unwise

I know. But then it comes down to, how long do you keep it?

In banking, we have that issue. Everything is recorded, but we only keep shit for so long

Fucking Syria, you guys. I'm sure this will end well, though. I'm super confident that President Obama will navigate the situation with mega aplomb.

LOUD FART NOISE

In banking, we have that issue. Everything is recorded, but we only keep shit for so long

Pretty much a non issue. Certainlly not a barrier to executing such a plan.

You keep it for (X), however long (X) may be. If someone decides to bring a complaint after (X) has passed, oh well. that's their problem but if a claim of abuse is raised in the normal time frame, the video is there to either prove the claim, or exhonerate the cop.

Just because one day it would be deleted doesn't negate the overwhelming tempering effect video would have on police abuse, to the point of eliminating basically all of it.

Just to be clear, it isn't 'monitoring' like real time Big Brother watching your every move. It's documenting what you, as a sworn law enforcement officer, do during your time out in the world. 99% of the time, the video is going to be meaningless and only show trivial shit.

The 1% of the time, video is either going to save their ass, or fry their ass.

Society wins hugely... and I don't think there will be a hard time finding candidates to be cops. If the people dissuaded by cameras are in turn dissuaded from becoming cops, chalk that up to ANOTHER benefit of cameras.

For whatever its worth, aside from Naval stuff, I believe 98% of our military efforts should be limited to bombing campaigns, including massive, indiscriminate carpet bombing, ala World War II. The other 2% would be targeted assassinations.

My ideal military is a bunch of guys who wake up in the morning, eat some pancakes, kiss their wife goodbye, drive to a non-descript government building and sit with a joystick in front of a screen using a drone to blow shit up until their relief arrives 8 hours later, then they go home and catch a ball game with the kids.

That is what we need to remake the US Military into. I have no ****ing idea when we fell into this asinine concept of sending our boys overseas to die fighting armed monkeys in their trees but perhaps a reminder of where we as Western civilization stand- and more importantly, why we stand there- is in order. The whole Churchill quote about being "cradled in the strong arms of science..." , apparently we've foregone our scientific advantages and instead, voluntarily choose to fight 19th Century styled wars against a bunch of 4000 BC savages.

**** that.

Go science.

• Like 1

For whatever its worth, aside from Naval stuff, I believe 98% of our military efforts should be limited to bombing campaigns, including massive, indiscriminate carpet bombing, ala World War II. The other 2% would be targeted assassinations.

Well, I would assume you don't consider cyber warfare part of the conventional military, but I think both Cyber Defense and offense are going to be extremely important in the next 100 years. Agree with your basic point, that boots on the ground "nation building" is a fool's arrand.

Well, I would assume you don't consider cyber warfare part of the conventional military, but I think both Cyber Defense and offense are going to be extremely important in the next 100 years.

It will be but waaaaaaaaaay before the next 100 years is up, our government will have finished developing its own internet seperate from the one we use.

The fact this isn't already done is just insane; that the process controls of satellites in space or nuclear power plants are only as secure as the most clever basement dweller intent on seeing how far in he can get...

Some shit has no buisines whatsoever being 'neworked' to the world.

Like Scram says, this is a non-issue. Data costs basically nothing to store. Banks have rules about information being stored for 5 years, 7 years, whatever.

A bigger problem would be the safety of information, since there's no way whatever government security would actually be able to hold off any private parties interested in having access to the feeds, which could contain valuable information, if you knew what you were looking for - even stuff as simple as being able to see passcodes entered, where keys are kept, etc. Would be hard to restrict all that critical information from the videos.

Great.

China is ahead of us on this.

CHINA sees the need for accountability more than we do.

CHINA

SEES

THE

NEED

FOR

POLICE

ACCOUNTABILITY

THAT

WE

IGNORE.

***************************CHINA**********************************

I don't even understand what kind of people we are anymore other than knowing we mostly suck and overall, are garbage.

Data costs basically nothing to store.

Just saw a segment on the news that we're rapidly approaching the point where data storage is getting so robust, so cheap that we'll soon arrive at a point where the average laptop hard drive could write streaming video of average resoloution 24/7 from the day someone's born to the day they die in old age... Laptop storage measured in TBs is now standard.

We're essentially right on the edge of Moores Law creating devices that basically transcend the furthest reaches of human utility.

A relative was buying a new computer and obsessing over 'specs' when the sum total of his PC usage is internet browsing, Quicken and general word processing. I don't think most people even begin to understand where we even stand, relative to what we actually need or want.

• 2 weeks later...

George Zimmermam arrested for a gun related incident. Sounds like he forgot to follow rule #1: kill the other person so they can't contradict your cockamamie story.

George Zimmermam arrested for a gun related incident. Sounds like he forgot to follow rule #1: kill the other person so they can't contradict your cockamamie story.

Will be interesting to see how things are with him, going forward.

Everything he does is going to be unfairly studied to the subatomic level for the rest of his life, but it would definitely be interesting if, subsequent to the Martin case, facts start to emerge that the guy is a hysterical, a 'tough guy with a gun', really contradicting the characterization of him as a 'neighborhood watchman' who ran afoul of some punk and things went to hell.

It would be very interesting if, over the years, it emerges that really, he's just a dichead who causes trouble with people.

I am a 100% supporter of concealed carry, period.

That said, some things have their own, unique appeal to different types of people... Pedophiles like working with children. Bullies are drawn to law enforcement work.

There's a type of person who gets a carry permit not because it empowers them against an attacker, but because it empowers weak men of dysfunctional personality to behave in a certain way that would otherwise cause them to get beaten up. To such men, a concealed carry permit is as standard and predictable part of their daily lives as a broom to a janitor.

It actually sounds like it was a very standard domestic incident where the husband loses his shit, threatens some violence and then the wife and her father decide not to press charges. Sure sounds like he has some serious anger issues but who knows. I predict he meets a sticky end within 3 years.

Zimmerman has to have a problem. I got pulled over for suspicion of DUI, once. The cop asked if I'd been drinking, and I was honest. Sure, I had like three beers three hours ago. He asked if I was impaired, and I said, "I dunno. I doubt it. But I'm not a police." He asked if I'd be willing to take an FST, so I took an FST. He told me to take a breathalyzer, so I did.

I blew a .06, because I had three beers three hours ago.

He arrested me on suspicion of DUI.

I was charged and the charges were dismissed, because the legal limit in the state I was pulled over in was .08 and the officer was just being a dick.

Since then, I've been absolutely paranoid about drinking after even a single beer. I've been 100% sober and called for a ride because I took three shots before my 4 hour nap.

George Zimmerman killed a guy, beat the rap, and then went to buy a tactical shotgun from the same guys that made the gun he used to kill a guy. Then he had a violent confrontation with his estranged wife and father in law while strapped. He probably beat the crap out of the father in law and threatened the estranged wife. He is almost certainly unbalanced. He is, like AmScray said, very likely the kind of guy that carries a weapon because he's really excited about drawing down