Random News Observations

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

Their sewers back up almost weekly and the excess is dumped untreated directly into the Thames. A river that runs directly though the entire city. When the sewer system works like it's supposed too, the untreated sewage is dumped in the ocean beyond the city. London is currently digging new sewage tunnels that should be able to carry the current waste produced to the sea without the back flow into the Thames.

London is effin gross.

Without a key to distinguish what the colors represent, the map is meaningless.

However, based on knowing that Canadians have infested North Florida like vermin, we can assume that Red = Most

I seriously doubt any Canadians are flocking to West Virginia, OKlahoma or South Texas so white = Least.

That leaves us to reason blue versus tan.

Red: Most Canadians

Blue: Second Most Canadians (congruence with the heavily populated Northeast region, their interest in summering in warm Southernly areas)

Tan: Second to Least Canadians (because I doubt many are going to Detroit and if they want the wide open spaces of the West, they have that at home)

White: Least Canadians.

Actually it's very simple. The population of each of those areas is about the same as Canada. There are 10 areas since the US population is about 10 times Canada's.

I don't think the colors actually represent much of anything but I could be wrong.

Oh, I see.

I thought it represented the number of Canadians living in the US by region from most to least.

Either way, I think we can all agree that there are too many Canadians.

Two new higher quality videos of the Toronto Police shooting. In the second one it looks like he started to move forward towards the front door of the street car and that's when he was first shot. I'm having trouble seeing how the second group of shots was necessary but we can't see what he was doing after first getting shot.

http://www.torontosu...n-ttc-streetcar

http://youtu.be/lG6OTyjzAgg

http://youtu.be/Pi4In494rAg

CP24 ‏@CP24 13m

BREAKING: SIU lays second-degree murder charge against Toronto police Const. James Forcillo in shooting death of Sammy Yatim.

image.jpg

http://www.siu.on.ca/en/news_template.php?nrid=1748

News Release

Toronto Police Service Officer Charged in Death of Sammy Yatim

Case Number: 13-TFD-181

Mississauga (19 August, 2013) --- The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Ian Scott, has reasonable grounds to believe that a Toronto Police Service (TPS) officer committed a criminal offence in relation to the shooting death of 18-year-old Sammy Adib Yatim in July of 2013. Director Scott has caused a charge of Second Degree Murder contrary to s. 235(1) of the Criminal Code to be laid against the officer. The incident took place on a TTC streetcar around midnight on July 26-27, 2013.

A warrant was issued this morning for the arrest of TPS Constable James Forcillo.

Because the arrest warrant was just issued, Cst Forcillo has not been arrested at this point. An updated news release will be issued and tweeted as soon as there are any material developments.

The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must

• consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation

• depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid

• report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.

Monica Hudon

SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES

Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342

Yeah, that was definitely a dicey one.

He'll have his day in court.

I've said this for a long time- technologically we've been there for about a decade- but eventually, we will arrive at a point where municipalities are forced to pay out so much in settlements and judgements because of bad cops, uniform cameras will be as standard as handcuffs. This will seriously temper misbehavior by officers. Likewise, it will protect them from bullshit accusations.

There is no reason whatsoever why every police department in the first world shouldn't equip every officer with a lapel camera, but we all know the reason why there is quiet opposition in the rank and file... the ones who believe policework is best done in the shadows, tip-toeing on the line of the law, crossing it when need be, they oppose cameras like cockroaches oppose light.

Take a poll of officers. Note the ones who support cameras, note the ones who do not.

The ones who do not are the ones you can safely fire and be much better off for it.

• Like 1

Beware of overcharging someone.

Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case.

He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty of second degree murder.

They couldn't possibly win a murder case against him, but they could've proven a manslaughter case with ease.

• Like 2

Yeah, that was definitely a dicey one.

He'll have his day in court.

I've said this for a long time- technologically we've been there for about a decade- but eventually, we will arrive at a point where municipalities are forced to pay out so much in settlements and judgements because of bad cops, uniform cameras will be as standard as handcuffs. This will seriously temper misbehavior by officers. Likewise, it will protect them from bullshit accusations.

There is no reason whatsoever why every police department in the first world shouldn't equip every officer with a lapel camera, but we all know the reason why there is quiet opposition in the rank and file... the ones who believe policework is best done in the shadows, tip-toeing on the line of the law, crossing it when need be, they oppose cameras like cockroaches oppose light.

Take a poll of officers. Note the ones who support cameras, note the ones who do not.

The ones who do not are the ones you can safely fire and be much better off for it.

Perfectly analyzed and summarized, specifically the bolded parts at the end.

Only thing I would add is that, in my experience, that ratio is going to be about 90/10 the bad way, that 90 percent is the 90 percent about which every reasonable person in my high school thought, "God, that guy loves being in high school," and "God, that guy is such a fucking asshole," and "God, that guy is going to end up a cop, isn't he?"

Maybe 90/10 is unfair. It's probably closer to a 2:1 ratio, but still. Douche chill.

BS. Would anyone want a camera and GPS monitoring their every move throughout a workday? Absolutely not. Has nothing to do with abuses of power. It was to do with privacy and laziness

Full disclosure: I read next to nothing on this page, I just jumped to conclusions about what little I did read

Beware of overcharging someone.

Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case.

He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty of second degree murder.

They couldn't possibly win a murder case against him, but they could've proven a manslaughter case with ease.

You really believe the state could have proven the following.

In order to convict of manslaughter by act, it is not necessary for the State to prove that George Zimmerman had an intent to cause death, only an intent to commit an act that was not merely negligent, justified, or excusable and which caused death.

I followed this trial and there was nothing there. After the police had 6 interviews with zimmerman without a attorney they had nothing and the trail should have never happened.

Manslaughter 2 is reckless homicide. Man pursues boy against advice of police, boy dies under basically unknown circumstances. Sounds like reckless homicide to me.

Manslaughter 2 is reckless homicide. Man pursues boy against advice of police, boy dies under basically unknown circumstances. Sounds like reckless homicide to me.

Nobody pursued against advice of police. The dispatcher who is not police told zimmerman " Ok, we don't need you to do that", and zimmerman replied "OK". This was at the [2:28]

time of the call. From 2:28 until 4:07 (end of call) all that transpired was dispatcher getting information.

911 dispatcher:

OK, what’s your apartment number?

Zimmerman:

It’s a home. It’s 1950 – oh, crap, I don’t want to give it out – I don’t know where this kid is [inaudible] [3:40], does this sound like he is following ?

Martin did not die under unknown circumstances, he died beating the crap out of zimmerman.

Bottom line there was no case here and that is why the decision was made not to prosecute until the race baiters got involved.

There is no way reckless homicide could have been proven in this case. The evidence just was not there.

I only said that because watching every conservative twist themself into a semantic pretzel gives me joy.

We don't need you to do that and don't do that are such completely different concepts in vigilante land.

All we know is Zimmerman lost the fight and pulled his gun. We have no idea how it started. We have one side of the story bc the other side is dead.

The idea that having a trial at all was a travesty is sad but emblematic of how far to the fringe the right has moved. Almost as shameful as the way gun rights advocates attacked martin's character in the media like they were picking apart a 1960s rape victim. She got in a fight on a bus once and smoked pot obviously she wanted it!

I only said that because watching every conservative twist themself into a semantic pretzel gives me joy.

We don't need you to do that and don't do that are such completely different concepts in vigilante land.

This is not a a concept to me just part of the evidence of the trial.

All we know is Zimmerman lost the fight and pulled his gun. We have no idea how it started. We have one side of the story bc the other side is dead.

The idea that having a trial at all was a travesty is sad but emblematic of how far to the fringe the right has moved. Almost as shameful as the way gun rights advocates attacked martin's character in the media like they were picking apart a 1960s rape victim. She got in a fight on a bus once and smoked pot obviously she wanted it!

Zimmerman couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, biggest mismatch since Ali whipped Liston.

Evidence is what it is, nothing there to warrant a trial. Has nothing to do with Left Right.

I agree what went on before that night was irrelevant regarding the trial. I tell my kids all the time careful what you post on social medial.

Before this went down some people around Trayvon let him down.

We don't want to forget about how wrong the media treated Zimmerman. Of course NBC will be cutting him a nice big fat check.

What was amazing to me was when I watched the verdict on ABC they threw Martin under the bus showing some bad stuff about him. One thing I remember was him egging on a homeless fight. Kind of shocked me, I was like HUH.

In closing I am sorry the young man was shot, totally unnecessary!

BS. Would anyone want a camera and GPS monitoring their every move throughout a workday?

Because they've chosen to go into a profession that absolutely, positive demands major accountability on the basis of the massive authority society imbues in that job (after 3 months in the community college)

Cops love the idea that they're a 'cut above' everyone else- special- save for those times when the special requirements of their profession actually places demands on their performance. Then, it's all about how 'there are bad apples in every barrel' and how they're just like everyone else and we shouldn't judge bad cops any differently than the butcher who sets his scale a few ounces heavy.

Bullshit.

Until the day comes when lapel cameras are a universal part of an officers kit as his light and gun, abuses of authority will continue, as will indignities upon otherwise innocent people.

What frustrates me to no end is that this technogy isn't Star Trek or some gigantic mountain of a soloution.

It's like, $100 for the hardware + a program to manage the daily data uploads. Absolutely would save the ass of every honest cop who has ever been wrongly accused but even that isn't enough for them to rush to objective accountability in the profession.

Because they've chosen to go into a profession that absolutely, positive demands major accountability on the basis of the massive authority society imbues in that job (after 3 months in the community college)

Cops love the idea that they're a 'cut above' everyone else- special- save for those times when the special requirements of their profession actually places demands on their performance. Then, it's all about how 'there are bad apples in every barrel' and how they're just like everyone else and we shouldn't judge bad cops any differently than the butcher who sets his scale a few ounces heavy.

Bullshit.

Until the day comes when lapel cameras are a universal part of an officers kit as his light and gun, abuses of authority will continue, as will indignities upon otherwise innocent people.

What frustrates me to no end is that this technogy isn't Star Trek or some gigantic mountain of a soloution.

It's like, $100 for the hardware + a program to manage the daily data uploads. Absolutely would save the ass of every honest cop who has ever been wrongly accused but even that isn't enough for them to rush to objective accountability in the profession.

Very well said.