Random News Observations

Oh no, if people know he owns a gun, they'll stay away.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't care how many guns you own or have on your person, if someone gets the drop on you, they are of no more use than a belt.

Correct, no different than seatbelts don't prevent all accident related deaths, fire extinguishers don't stop all fires, etc.

There are exotic situations where a firearm is rendered utterly useless, even a potential liability.

For the most part, though, to suggest (as Bob did) that they're of limited utility in defensive situations or that their deterrent capacity is 'overestimated' is comically naive. I say this from the position of someone who physically beat an able-bodied, grown man to within an inch of his life and spent time in prison for that, who once owned many guns, who now owns no guns yet if I were so inclined, could acquire one within an hour.

The real world is just so, so different than what these politicians are trying to work with.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

That was hardly more than babbling doubletalk with the expected indignation, for effect.

He utterly failed to address the point that was being made, the hypocrisy involved.

Also: can you imagine how often he must fart? The New Jersey Governors Mansion must smell like a stockyard.

Gun laws are Federal in Canada. Exact same laws across the whole country.

Most guns that are used by criminals in Canada come from the US. It's close to 70% with the rest mostly being stolen from legal gun owners.

I did not know this.

There's a price to being neighbors with the U.S.

I think you are way overestimating the value of a gun for defensive reasons and how often they are actually of any value in that. I know you will disagree.

You didn't answer his 100K dollar question.

but

Who cares how often you ever NEED a gun for defensive purposes. I've never once in my life needed a gun to defend myself. Also, I've never been in a situation where I was glad I didn't have a gun or shits would have gone down badly. I hope I never have to use a gun to remove a threat to my live or the lives around me. Hope don't mean poo in a world with other humans.

What do you want to defend yourself if someone attacks you with a hammer, sword, knife, .22LR Rugar Mark 1, .9mm S&W, .40 Glock, .45acp 1911, or Mossberg Shakegun? The honest answer to each of the above is a gun that one can shoot accurately. My point is that you would want the best tool to do the job. The likelihood of being attacked is extremely low but it does happen just like any number of other random things that CAN happen in our lives that we prepare for.

Who is most likely to attack you? Someone who locks their gun up in a safe keeping the ammo and gun separate or someone who isn't following the law and doesn't give a flip?

The reality is people suck.

there were armed guards in that school long before they enrolled so their specific presence makes no difference to the argument.

Oh?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/01/18/no-sidwell-friends-school-has-no-armed-guards/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

Police said they arrested a 25-year-old man from the Black Sea town of Burgas who was also carrying two knives

Good thing they haven't outlawed all guns in Bulgaria, because then the guy would have used one the knives instead and they don't misfire.

Another proof that outlawing guns is a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you imagine the outcry if a Republican Administration was in office with a memo like.

That being said I have no problem with taking out terrorists no matter what passport they hold.

Can you imagine the outcry if a Republican Administration was in office with a memo like.

That being said I have no problem with taking out terrorists no matter what passport they hold.

The notion that a single American, even the president, having the ability to sign his name and have a person killed without oversight from 50,000 agencies, congress, plumbers, and birds is a really bad thing.

President Carter made it a law that America could not just kill a leader of another country because that power is too terrible. Now the democrat party is fine with President Obama killing Americans without due process, while demanding foreigners have the full rights of the courts in Gitmo. Complete stupidity. ( Which is par for the course in the Democrat party )

This is the original story:

The 16-page memo, a copy of which was obtained by NBC News, provides new details about the legal reasoning behind one of the Obama administration’s most secretive and controversial polices: its dramatically increased use of drone strikes against al-Qaida suspects abroad, including those aimed at American citizens, such as the September 2011 strike in Yemen that killed alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan. Both were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes.

The correct method for this would be to have a congressional committee be required to look over the hit before and after. Before to prevent abuse, after to guarantee legitimacy and allow for quick action. Not including congress is just creating the worst kind of government, one that can order your death because it says so. Today its for being a terrorist leader, tomorrow for being a drug dealer of over 50 pounds...what's it going to be Friday? Lawyers?

Oh wait, lawyers, ya, never mind. I fully support this program.

After reading some of the actual report and not the news media's cliff notes, It specifically says they must be a senior leader of Al Qeda or one of its direct branches, which is different than the news story that said an associate force, implying a broader range.

I am all for placing all members of Al Qeda on a shoot on sight list for the military. But I still want post operation oversight to keep the checks on this power.

The notion that a single American, even the president, having the ability to sign his name and have a person killed without oversight from 50,000 agencies, congress, plumbers, and birds is a really bad thing.

President Carter made it a law that America could not just kill a leader of another country because that power is too terrible. Now the democrat party is fine with President Obama killing Americans without due process, while demanding foreigners have the full rights of the courts in Gitmo. Complete stupidity. ( Which is par for the course in the Democrat party )

Parentheticals excepted, I completely agree.,

The fact that he and his advisers decided they could legally assassinate two American citizens without due process is insane. Ok, these two were in another country and pretty high on the ladder of a known terrorist organization but it's not a stretch that this precedence will be used domestically, without due process and without overwhelming evidence.

This is DOJ memo is HUGE deal.

Don't forget Fireworks in Night Clubs.

So you're saying that fireworks in night clubs are extremely dangerous and should be banned, just like guns are extremely dangerous and should be banned?

Umm... I think you're doing it wrong.