Random News Observations

Exhaustive investigation by Fortune on the Fast and Furious issue.If it's accurate the narrative that they knowingly let guns get to the cartels is wrong.The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal

Quite simply, there's a fundamental misconception at the heart of the Fast and Furious scandal.Nobody disputes that suspected straw purchasers under surveillance by the ATF repeatedly bought guns that eventually fell into criminal hands. Issa and others charge that the ATF intentionally allowed guns to walk as an operational tactic. But five law-enforcement agents directly involved in Fast and Furious tell Fortune that the ATF had no such tactic. They insist they never purposefully allowed guns to be illegally trafficked. Just the opposite: They say they seized weapons whenever they could but were hamstrung by prosecutors and weak laws, which stymied them at every turn.Indeed, a six-month Fortune investigation reveals that the public case alleging that Voth and his colleagues walked guns is replete with distortions, errors, partial truths, and even some outright lies. Fortune reviewed more than 2,000 pages of confidential ATF documents and interviewed 39 people, including seven law-enforcement agents with direct knowledge of the case. Several, including Voth, are speaking out for the first time.How Fast and Furious reached the headlines is a strange and unsettling saga, one that reveals a lot about politics and media today. It's a story that starts with a grudge, specifically Dodson's anger at Voth. After the terrible murder of agent Terry, Dodson made complaints that were then amplified, first by right-wing bloggers, then by CBS. Rep. Issa and other politicians then seized those elements to score points against the Obama administration, which, for its part, has capitulated in an apparent effort to avoid a rhetorical battle over gun control in the run-up to the presidential election. (A Justice Department spokesperson denies this and asserts that the department is not drawing conclusions until the inspector general's report is submitted.)
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

Exhaustive investigation by Fortune on the Fast and Furious issue.If it's accurate the narrative that they knowingly let guns get to the cartels is wrong.The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal
It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, but I'd bet on knowledge way up the chain and a high-level coverup. Obama's move just reinforces that. I'm hearing rumors across the internet that some hard evidence is coming out before the election. If it doesn't, we can assume the whole thing was a political charade. But I've been hearing the rumors for 2 years, since before it was in the headlines, so I can't just dismiss them.
LOL.Ever heard a con talk about his conviction?There's always an elaborate series of interrelated excuses and conspiracies that caused it to happen. It's never that he ****ed up, the facts on the surface are accurate, it is what it is. No, the failings of other people brought it all about.Most of that article smacked of damage control.There probably is some truth in there- some legitimate complaints about procedure and policy- but none of that allays what they undeniably did do. Also, if you think cops won't lie to protect other cops, maybe Canadians are more naive than I had originally thought (which would be mind-blowing because I basically view all of you as small wide-eyed children wandering around and looking towards the sky holding one of those oversize lollipops in one hand, dragging a stuffed bunny rabbit in the other).Cops blaming 'weak prosecutors' is their standard foil, whenever they're shown to be lazy and/or bumbling ****ups. "It's just those damn prosecutors!" or ".. the civilians have too many damn rights standing in our way!"Read that article from an objective vantage- as opposed to a partisan one, where it's a surrogate for Obama and thusly requires offense or defense- there is a lot of very troubling shit in there, as far as how any given ATF office might conduct themselves. And that's just what was put into a memo.

STOCKTON: The City of Stockton, CA is filing for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 9 of the U. S. bankruptcy code. It will be the largest city (300,000 residents; $700 million in debt) to ever seek Chapter 9 protection. The city has suffered from two common municipal ailments: 1) falling real estate values, and 2) soaring pension costs. Median home prices have fallen from $407,000 in 2005 to $118,000 in February 2012. Pension costs are expected to increase 94% over the next ten years.just the first of many to come.

I also think that if Jews ate more bananas, they could have left banana peels all over their houses that the Nazis would have slipped over. Some of them may have fallen and gotten hurt.Are you seriously saying that a house without banana peels is less well defended than a house with one?
I once saw somebody actually slip on a banana peel. It was funny because I didn't think that sort of thing really happened.
I once saw somebody actually slip on a banana peel. It was funny because I didn't think that sort of thing really happened.
A friend of mine once slipped on a banana peel, and let me tell you, it was nothing like a warm apple pie.
  • Like 1
STOCKTON: The City of Stockton, CA is filing for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 9 of the U. S. bankruptcy code. It will be the largest city (300,000 residents; $700 million in debt) to ever seek Chapter 9 protection. The city has suffered from two common municipal ailments: 1) falling real estate values, and 2) soaring pension costs. Median home prices have fallen from $407,000 in 2005 to $118,000 in February 2012. Pension costs are expected to increase 94% over the next ten years.just the first of many to come.
Yep, and a great example of the sort of tail risk that muni bond holders don't ever consider while enjoying all those tax free yields.You're right, there will be more. I made a pretty extensive post about this in 2009, was laughed at. Said it would take 3-5 years to play out. So far, right on track. Wait until we get our first state default.You can only ignore basic mathematical truth for so long.

Hanging at the cigar store this am and listening to a guy tell me about his brother ( teacher in small rural area in so cal ) who is retired and pulling down $8,400 a month. His sister pulls down about $7,500 a month as a former prison secretary, and his other brother pulls down a full $9,200 a month from his retirement in the prison system.He's the oldest, and is about 62 years old, so I guess his siblings can pull down healthy retirements for the next 20 years.I'm sure its an anomaly.

Joe Walsh Loses It On CNN: 'Ashleigh, Ashleigh, Ashleigh'http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=clnGrA5gg7g
I was at :54 before I realized that this clip was edited (thinking it was just 'internet jumpy'). I thought he was really bullet firing her name and not saying anything else.
More democrat's efforts to create jobs in....ChinaCliff: Lib democrat donor gets contract to make US Olympic uniforms...outsources them off to China.
Our failure to be adequately protectionist has been a failing of both parties. Republicans support it because it's in the interest of their campaign donors to keep the durable goods margins as thin as possible, Democrats support it because it redistributes wealth to the 3rd world and most of them have parasitic government or non-profit jobs anyway. My favorite part of the whole narrative is how we accept globalism as an inevitable part of the modern human experience and must 'figure out creative ways to work around it', yet we spend billions of dollars fighting marijuana because it's a fight worth fighting!