The Polling Place

We should probably have a poll in regards to best national chains. I'll list off a handful I think should be on thereChilisApplebeesRed LobsterOlive GardenRed RobinRuby TuesdaysMacaroni GrillMimis CafeOn The BorderChevy'sSuspender FlairOutbackBuca Di PepoThat's about all I can think of
I think some of these are regional chains. I have never seen/heard of Mimis Cafe, On the Border, Chevy's, Suspended Flair, or Buca Di Pepo.Edit: Or not. Pepo is local but they are in cities all around the area I frequent. Seems they are in the white trash area of town. Odd. Is it good?There is allegedly an On the Border within walking distance of me right now. I never noticed it.Edit2: No Chevy's in Michigan.Only in 14 states.Edit3: Mimi's doesn't look too bad. But none in Michigan. None in the northern states at all. I will check Suspended now instead of making a 4th edit. I see nothing on the place on google.
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, it would be pretty hard to find another Wang.

Who to engage: http://imgur.com/a/cf5LN   Who to avoid: http://imgur.com/a/gEznR

As a Winner, Wang, that's my instinct. That's why people root against people like me and LeBron.

i swear by richard dawkins i havent voted more than once.
THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS CHEDDAR BISCUITS FIASCO!?!The one time I ate at P.F. Chang's, I kicked myself for not just going to the local Chinese buffet. You know the one... it's the one with the massive "paintings" with the backlights and the fake moving water? Yep, that's the one.
THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS CHEDDAR BISCUITS FIASCO!?!The one time I ate at P.F. Chang's, I kicked myself for not just going to the local Chinese buffet. You know the one... it's the one with the massive "paintings" with the backlights and the fake moving water? Yep, that's the one.
PF Changs is actually really good, it's just not worth the extra $$$. Also why is it that almost every Chinese food restaurant gives you soda in a can?
PF Changs is actually really good, it's just not worth the extra $$$. Also why is it that almost every Chinese food restaurant gives you soda in a can?
lol, I go to this little dive Korean place and this little dive Sushi place and they always give you coke in a can. I like PF Changs as well. I agree the price is ridic, but the food is decent Americanized Chinese. I love their mushu pork.

If you go to these places it can be enjoyable if you understand what they are and appreciate the genre specifically for its chainy badness. It's like appreciating a bad movie. You don't start watching Bring It On: All or Nothing expecting an Oscar-winning performance, but instead you laugh along with its simple storyline and revel in its cliches. You don't go to a chain restaurant because you expect to be impressed by the cuisine; you go to gaze at your reflection in the laminated menu and giggle when they bring you a bloomin' onion.

If you go to these places it can be enjoyable if you understand what they are and appreciate the genre specifically for its chainy badness. It's like appreciating a bad movie. You don't start watching Bring It On: All or Nothing expecting an Oscar-winning performance, but instead you laugh along with its simple storyline and revel in its cliches. You don't go to a chain restaurant because you expect to be impressed by the cuisine; you go to gaze at your reflection in the laminated menu and giggle when they bring you a bloomin' onion.
Or you go to watch an 18 year old girl give her father a lap dance.
I feel like these are on a slightly higher level than the others on the list. Possibly another category.
Both are considered "casual dining" by wiki. They aren't any more expensive than the others, are they? What sort of parameters are we setting here?

I agree with speedz, those two are a bit nicer than the others. In fact I had that exact argument with someone recently, where I specifically singled out Cheesecake Factory as a step above Chili's/Outback/Applebee's. I'll have to think of an objective criterion to separate these, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I agree with speedz, those two are a bit nicer than the others. In fact I had that exact argument with someone recently, where I specifically singled out Cheesecake Factory as a step above Chili's/Outback/Applebee's. I'll have to think of an objective criterion to separate these, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Well Outback is going to be much more expensive than anything listed.
wait wait wait, Joes Crab Shack is good but Red Lobster is awful? No sorry. Joes is a pretty scuzzy place. At least the one I went to. At least the RL didn't smell like dead rotten fish like a Joes smells like.So what are good acceptable chain places?Outback is weird. I went to my first Outback this year. Steak was good but the table was sticky and it is way too dark. That was my Outback experience. Oh and their uniforms are a bit gay.Chili's. I don;t think I have ever had a good meal at Chili's.RL. I don't go out of my way to eat there but I can't think of ever having a poor experience. Macaroni Grill. I went to one this summer when we went to see my Grandma. It wasn't bad but it wasnt fantastic. Famous Dave's. As I think about chains I think this one is my favorite. Or at least the one I go to the most. Olive Garden. I am positive that each visit has resulted in a visit to the bathroom to shit brown water out of my ass. I do miss Chi Chi's though. Oh and I like to go to Big Boys for breakfast sometimes. Great hash browns. I can't really think of any others. At least that I have been too. We usually go to resturaunts in downtown Royal Oak and I think the only chain one they have is Mongolian BBQ. Or BD's or whatever it is called. Usually we go to Bastone and there is only one of those. Applebees? Yuck.
I know nothing about Joe's Crab Shack, other than Rochester is getting one and it will be about 2 minutes away from my place. As far as chain places that I actually enjoy...like I said, I like Ruby Tuesdays, I like TGIFridays, I used to work at a PF Changs and still go there to eat (which should be a strong testament to how clean they keep the place and how high quality the food prep is...if people who've seen behind the curtain still eat there), love their food but it's definitely pricey. I like Red Robin burgers but their fries kinda suck. I enjoy certain things on Applebees menu. Famous Dave's is okay but pales in comparison to Dinosaur BBQ (local upstate NY place) so I don't go there that often. Rochester just got it's first Quaker Steak and Lube and I have to say, it really kinda sucks...not impressed at all. Steve's favorite place in the entire world for chicken wings is Hooters...if I know nothing else, I know that.

I WOULD SLATHER TGIF'S JACK DANIEL'S TERIYAKI FLAVORED JACK DANIEL'S SAUCE ON ANY BURGER FIJITA OR CHICKEN SANDWICH AND IMMEDIATELY IMPROVE IT. I LOVE THAT SAUCE. ALSO, THE WAITRESSES ARE PRETTY CUTE AT A LOT OF THEIR LOCATIONS IF I CAN MISDIRECT MY WIFE'S EYES LONG ENOUGH TO SNEAK A LOOK. LOLAS FOR OUTBACK NO! :club::ts

We should probably have a poll in regards to best national chains. I'll list off a handful I think should be on thereChilisApplebeesRed LobsterOlive GardenRed RobinRuby TuesdaysMacaroni GrillMimis CafeOn The BorderChevy'sSuspender FlairOutbackBuca Di PepoThat's about all I can think of
I have never eaten at any of these restaurants before.
The Cheesecake FactoryTexas RoadhouseP.F. Chang'sLonghorn SteakhouseCracker BarrelT.G.I. Friday'sGolden CorralIHOP
Nor these, Fridays excepted. And IHOP doesn't count, they don't serve food.Guess I don't get to vote this time around.
I usually go somewhere else to see that.
LOL
Steve's favorite place in the entire world for chicken wings is Hooters...if I know nothing else, I know that.
Haha, that was the first and most certainly the last time I ever go to a hooters.
I have never eaten at any of these restaurants before.Nor these, Fridays excepted.
You're Canadian. Also, Suspender Flair = Friday's, since somehow you guys actually though there was a restaurant named suspender flair.
The KegEarl'sJoey TomatoesRed RobinEast Side Mario'sBoston PizzaThese may all be strictly canadian.
I have only heard of Red Robin and East Side Mario's.Are there Bennigan's still around?California Pizza Kitchen?
The KegEarl'sJoey TomatoesRed RobinEast Side Mario'sBoston PizzaThese may all be strictly canadian.
The Keg is real food.Earl's is crap.Never heard of Joey TomatoesRed Robin is American, no?East Side Mario's is crap. Good garlic bread though.Boston Pizza will actually kill you. Right there in the booth. You just keel over and die if you eat there. It's a puzzling business strategy.
Both are considered "casual dining" by wiki. They aren't any more expensive than the others, are they? What sort of parameters are we setting here?
I guess if they're the same price (I'm not sure PF Chang's is in their range) they're probably in the same category of chains. Maybe they're just #1 and #2...somebody has to be the best.
Boston Pizza
Which is, for the record, nothing like pizza you get at local places in Boston. Similarly, Boston Market has little to nothing to do with food found in Boston.

Why isn't "death" an option? Both those places are terrible. National chains almost universally blow. Of the ones mentioned, if you put a gun to my head, I'd go to the cheesecake factory, because ... hey, at least they have cheesecake.

I can understand if you live in Cooterville, Alabama, but who living in a major metro area- with independently-run, higher caliber options- seriously goes to places like Red Lobster or the Olive Garden? Like, I live in Chicago, this is food mecca, yet these types places still exist here... And who lives in place like Chicago yet chooses to eat at Olive Garden or Red Lobster when there's a mind-bogglingly lwide array of superior, alternate choices?. Because someone would rather spend their $60 at Red Lobster than Fogo De Chao? Seriously?
I live in cooterville, nebraska, and I still don't go to those places. They dominate the dining options, but there are still independent places I prefer to go. Fuck, I'd rather go to denny's than Olive garden, at least they cook there. They don't open up a vacuum sack and microwave the food.
The Keg is real food.Earl's is crap.Never heard of Joey TomatoesRed Robin is American, no?East Side Mario's is crap. Good garlic bread though.Boston Pizza will actually kill you. Right there in the booth. You just keel over and die if you eat there. It's a puzzling business strategy.
I actually find the Keg overpriced and average, food wise. Although they have fantastic Garlic mashed potatoes.I enjoy the food at Earl'sJoey Tomatoes is by far my favourite 'chain' restaurant. Great food, and by far the hottest waitresses.Not sure about Red Robin being American or not, there is definitely one in Edmonton, and I think Vancouver. They have pretty good burgers.East side Marios is ok. Much like OG, pretty bad food but good all-you-can-eat garlic bread and salad.I don't mind BP's, actually. Decent Pizza, really cheap food with a few good options. And they get you in and out quick, so it is a good place to go if you are on a time-limited lunch break.
I don't think anyone would disagree with the general premise that chain restaurants suck. But people don't go there for the awesome food. Just saying.
I have never been to a town in America that only had chain places. There are always other options, outside of airports.....and the local place is always better. I think the Cheesecake Factory is great but it's like California Pizza Kitchen or Houston's....it's an upscale chain.Of the other places, I love Cracker Barrel. The biscuits there are awesome.