Okay, before you guys say I told you so, this all started almost 5 years ago in 2006, and I was unaware of scams and scammers. I know better now, and will not let it happen again.So, anyways, here's my problem. Someone paid me on PayPal for PokerStars funds. (Yes, I know now, don't ever do those transfers.) Then PayPal reversed those transactions saying I may be the recipient of unauthorized funds and tried to take it from my PayPal account. Luckily, I had just withdrawn everything out if it. So, it leaves me with a negative balance and PayPal. I file a complaint with them and they are siding with the other person. So, then they lock my account and submit my name to a collection agency. So, I decided fine, I'm never going to use PayPal again. Anyway, a few months later, I get a letter and a call from some collection agency. I did some research and found there are limits to what they can do, so I just ignored them. After a while the notices stop.Fast forward 4 and a half years later to this past weekend, I get a letter from another collection agency (guess they bought my name of the list) and receive an automated call from them as well. Every day this past week, they try to call me.My question is, what can I do? I want my name of that list. It does not belong there as I have proof of all the relating funds transfers from Stars to the other person who actually has money.Are there any law people out there that might be able to help me?

Since its not really poker related you might not get all the answers in this forum. May I suggest going to www.paypalsucks.com as you may get better help there.

Sooooo.You got scammed and want paypal to pay for your mistake.You can see thier point of view can't you?So anyone else here want to get shiped $100,000 on Stars. You can pay with paypal, I will withdraw it, you cancel the transcation, then we can go $50 grand each?????Hmmmm now I just need $100,000 on stars :club:

Sooooo.You got scammed and want paypal to pay for your mistake.
This. Either deal with the calls, or get an attorney and waste more time/money. Everybody gets scammed throughout life, so just pay up what you owe and stop the bleeding. Costly life lesson. At this point, you should just offer them a settlement deal for like 40% of the debt. After 4 years, they should take it.BTW - Don't hate on Paypal. It was not their fault you entered into a risky transaction with an unknown person. Hope it works out.
My question is, what can I do? I want my name of that list. It does not belong there as I have proof of all the relating funds transfers from Stars to the other person who actually has money.Are there any law people out there that might be able to help me?
I think it's only like 15$ to change your number. If that doesn't work for you then try this...

I would ask the collection agency if you pay the whole amount will they settle for a smaller amount. Sometimes they will do that. Atleast then they will be out of your hair and your credit wont be damaged anymore.

Nah, your credits already damaged and it won't get worse if you don't pay it. Also, your credit won't get better if you do pay it. But still, you should pay it since it was your mistake and I mean.......pay your shit dude. If you want to 'settle' you'll need to get that in writing from the collection agency. Paypal sold your debt to the first agency for a fraction of what you owed because paypal was pretty certain you weren't going to pay. They cut their losses. Your paper has probably been sold several times and each new company pays way less than the company before because now the debt is almost worthless. Let's say you owe $500. Call the agency(you should have gotten a letter from the current company) and tell them you would settle for $50. The agent may say yes and ask you to write the check out while on the line, don't do this. The agent is lying to you and once they get that first check, you become a priority again. Actually, you're going to become a hot lead since you're calling to ask for a settlement anyway but that's part of the risk of trying to get a reduced price. What you want is for them to start a negotiation and counter with an amount that will consider the debt paid. Have them commit to a number on the phone and send it to you in writing. Then pay that shit and know that you dinged up your credit but finally made shit right(kind of). If you do nothing, they can't do anything other than report the unpaid debt to the credit agencies(already been done), call you and send you letters. You could actually get them to stop the calls and letters too. whatever, just pay it.

Wait, so the other person who I transferred the money to, does a chargeback on their credit card, and PayPal thinks I owe them? What the other person did was commit credit card fraud. Shouldn't PayPal be after them for the money instead?I remember even reporting that user to PokerStars security back when this all started and they said all the money transferred to the other person lost it to legitimate players on the site, otherwise, I'm sure they could have revered the transactions.So, basically, what you guys are saying is I'm screwed and there's no way to fix it. I guess I just have to wait it out.After all it was almost five years ago since the scammer pulled that credit card stunt, so I guess I might as well wait for the statute of limitations to expire, which I'm guessing isn't much longer in the state of California.Btw, what happens if debt collectors continue to harass me for this debt that I don't even owe after the statute of limitations has expired? Is that illegal?

or you know, you could pay it.
Why would I pay when the money was already transferred to the other person? That would just mean I lose money, when it is the other person that PayPal should be trying to collect from.
Why would I pay when the money was already transferred to the other person? That would just mean I lose money, when it is the other person that PayPal should be trying to collect from.
The world isn't fair. You can either pay them, or put up with their harassment. Or get an attorney. The advice you've gotten is the best you're going to get.
I would ask the collection agency if you pay the whole amount will they settle for a smaller amount. Sometimes they will do that. Atleast then they will be out of your hair and your credit wont be damaged anymore.
wat
This. Either deal with the calls, or get an attorney and waste more time/money. Everybody gets scammed throughout life, so just pay up what you owe and stop the bleeding. Costly life lesson. At this point, you should just offer them a settlement deal for like 40% of the debt. After 4 years, they should take it.BTW - Don't hate on Paypal. It was not their fault you entered into a risky transaction with an unknown person. Hope it works out.
First of all, this was years ago, I was ignorant and unaware of all the evil people out there like scammers. I trusted people, but I have learned to be more suspicious of everyone now and will never do anything like that again as mentioned in my original post.Second, after reading more of those horror stories from www.paypalsucks.com, I'm surprised they are still in business. I mean, they have horrible customer service and business practices. I think the only way they are able to stay in business is always siding in a way that favors them, like in my case, even though the buyer used the money, but then did an illegal chargeback, PayPal still wants to cash in on it and try to take money from people like me cause that's the only way they know how to operate.
First of all, this was years ago, I was ignorant and unaware of all the evil people out there like scammers. I trusted people, but I have learned to be more suspicious of everyone now and will never do anything like that again as mentioned in my original post.Second, after reading more of those horror stories from www.paypalsucks.com, I'm surprised they are still in business. I mean, they have horrible customer service and business practices. I think the only way they are able to stay in business is always siding in a way that favors them, like in my case, even though the buyer used the money, but then did an illegal chargeback, PayPal still wants to cash in on it and try to take money from people like me cause that's the only way they know how to operate.
just pay the money and move on. Pretend you bought a couch but it sucked so you gave it to charity.

Not sure how to get them off of your back OP,...but having worked in collections when i was a young college kid, i know that if you tell them clearly "do not ever call me again and remove me from your calling lists" they are never allowed to call you again...pretty simple.

That's usually want happens when you get scammed.Why do people ask for advice then bitch about the advice they are given? You got scammed. It was YOUR fault. It was NOT Paypal's fault. It can't really be that much can it? If they stopped trying to collect for over 4 years....

just tell them you're disputing the debt. also it appears that the statutes of limitation has run out on the debt for your state.http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/SOL-by-State.html#5tell them to S.Y.D. and if they report you to a CRA you will file a FDCPA violation with your state A.G., FTC, and BBB.