Starting A Weekly Home Game

Hey guys, been about 6 months since I posted here. Starting my own LIVE home game tourney that will eventually work as a satellite to a Horseshoe event. We are going to have 9 guys in this and hope to get 2 games in each night over 5 nights throughout the next couple months. Because of the 2 games per night, I am hoping to get each game done in a 2 hour period. I was wondering what blind structures/ durations people would recommend to accomplish this. I found a couple sites that had some advice. I like the Home Poker Tourney, but it doesn't say how long each game would last. Are there any other good sites? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks. http://www.homepokertourney.com/poker-tournament-samples.htmhttp://pokersoup.com/tool/blindStructureCalculator

Played in one last night. 8 handed 10 min levels with 2k starting chips took just under 2 hours to finish.
Thx, what did you start blinds @ and did you just keep doubling blinds? Did you add ante's eventually? Appreciate the info.
You can probably do 20-30min blind levels.
he wants it to end in 2 hours yoa 2 hour 9 person live SNG is not going to have a very good structure. Either short levels or huge increases in the blinds... pick your poison
he wants it to end in 2 hours yoa 2 hour 9 person live SNG is not going to have a very good structure. Either short levels or huge increases in the blinds... pick your poison
I know, the only thing is that it will be 8-9 people, and have 2 decks going. The biggest problem is that we are trying to squeeze 2 games a night in, so we really can't go much longer than 2-2 1/2 hours per game. Are the short levels maybe a little better than huge increases in blinds? Or does that not really matter?
I know, the only thing is that it will be 8-9 people, and have 2 decks going. The biggest problem is that we are trying to squeeze 2 games a night in, so we really can't go much longer than 2-2 1/2 hours per game. Are the short levels maybe a little better than huge increases in blinds? Or does that not really matter?
It doesn't make much a difference in my opinion.I like the structure that nvrquit posted. 9 people X 2k starting stacks = 18k chips in play. After two hours (12 levels at 10 minutes/ level) the blinds will be 200/400 which is 45bbs. Which if the game will be 3-handed or HU will make for a quick end game.

I play in a weekly game, going on for over 4 years.We play cash for 2 hours, then play a $20 freeze out, with one re-buy for the first 1 hour.60 chips, 15 minute blinds/ start at 1/2 blinds, then 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, 5/10, 8/16 10/20Finishes in 2 hours most nights. We used to stop at 5/10 blinds for a long time, added on the 8/16 and 10/20 level to turn the end into a luck fest.

I play in a weekly game, going on for over 4 years.We play cash for 2 hours, then play a $20 freeze out, with one re-buy for the first 1 hour.60 chips, 15 minute blinds/ start at 1/2 blinds, then 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, 5/10, 8/16 10/20Finishes in 2 hours most nights. We used to stop at 5/10 blinds for a long time, added on the 8/16 and 10/20 level to turn the end into a luck fest.
Thx for the tips BG, my only issue would be that I want it to "feel" more like a live tourney with different chip denominations, etc. I would be fine with your way, but for some of these guys, this will be the most poker they get other than watching WSOP on ESPN. So, I could imagine some bitching over just doing all chips are of equal value. I did find this site on 2+2, pretty handy.http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-...689/index4.html
Thx for the tips BG, my only issue would be that I want it to "feel" more like a live tourney with different chip denominations, etc. I would be fine with your way, but for some of these guys, this will be the most poker they get other than watching WSOP on ESPN. So, I could imagine some bitching over just doing all chips are of equal value. I did find this site on 2+2, pretty handy.http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-...689/index4.html
Just change BG's chip denominations. Add a few zeros. Sounds like a good structure.
How many guys do you usually have in this game BG?

My bi-weekly home game has been running about 6 years. We start with 2k in chips first two levels are 30 minutes - 20 minutes after that. (10 handed)We play 10 times every other week. The buy-in is $30. Twenty dollars for that night's game and $10 is set aside for a championship game at the end of the series.Top 3 cash for that night's action. Also, each week players are awarded points for their finish order. If you finish first you get 15 points, 12 pts for second, 10 for third, 7 points for 4th and so on. After the 10 weeks is over, we have $1000 bucks for the 'final table'. We each kick in an additional $40 bucks bringing the final prize pool up to $1400. It works great because you're only paying a little each week and at the end there's a nice chunk of change. Also after the 10 weeks we count up the points and that's your chip total for final table. IE someone has 75 pts they get 7500 chips at the final table. Someone else has 66 pts or 6600 in chips. It makes it really interesting because you have 10 different stack sizes at a faux final table.Best of all everyone always shows up. The hardest thing to do is to get someone to commit to the game. This system keeps them coming back - well at least for the last 6 years.

How many guys do you usually have in this game BG?
We have 6-8 regulars and 3-4 guys who come in every 3rd week or so. most nights we have 9 guys and one woman who is a full ATC but her husband plays and we like him.And a lot of the guys are over 60 so we kind of have to play to their level. I would much prefer a denomination chip game, but when we switch from 5/10 to 8/16 we slow down because they all start restacking their chips into stacks of 8.....Forget about coloring up.
A funny little occurance has made me a believer in this tell.Allllll the conservative players start stacking their chips by color, sorting out any pot they win, alllll the loose players just stack them as they get them. I watch for the way people stack their chips all the time now.btw, I stack by color, but I don't stack in stacks of 20.

5k starting stack 4x25s, 4x100s, 3x500s, 3x1000s15 min blinds25-5050-100100-200200-400300-600400-800600-1200800-16001000-20001500-3000Should take 2.5hrs max. It's difficult to get any sort of decent structure in a home game with a max limit of 2hrs, but I think this is your best bet. It gives decent play early and late in the game. Don't fall into the trap of giving 200BBs to start and having loads of play early, and then it becoming a craps shoot when there's actual money to play for.

5k starting stack 4x25s, 4x100s, 3x500s, 3x1000s15 min blinds25-5050-100100-200200-400300-600400-800600-1200800-16001000-20001500-3000Should take 2.5hrs max. It's difficult to get any sort of decent structure in a home game with a max limit of 2hrs, but I think this is your best bet. It gives decent play early and late in the game. Don't fall into the trap of giving 200BBs to start and having loads of play early, and then it becoming a craps shoot when there's actual money to play for.
Used this for our first night mainly because of simplicity, didn't feel we needed to mess with ante's since it was only 2 hr game. Everyone thought it worked really good. Only had 7 guys tonight, played 2 games. First one got done in probably just over two hrs with a 10 min break and next got done in just short of 2 hrs with the same break. I thought possibly adding in 75/150 level as soon as people get to understanding how to move at a good speed. The only thing that was a little struggle was having only 4x 25 chips at start. But, once people figured out how to make change at end of pot, it wasn't such a big deal, especially in 2nd game. All in all, this was a very successful first run, so thanks a lot for the help. One question for anyone... How much time do you think adding 1-2 players for a total of 8 or 9 will add to tourney? Wasn't sure how much of a difference this will make. Thanks again.
  • 1 month later...