Why Are Daniel And Hellmuth So Clueless On Hsp?

Watching a variety of High Stakes Poker reruns online and just found it awful how often Daniel and Phil pay off river bets when they are clearly beaten. Given how unlucky Daniel was during the 1st two or three seasons I was inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the episodes I watched this weekend illustrated the differences between the best in the world at NLHE cash games and the best tournament players. In tournaments, alot of moves are being made and players are bluffing off big stacks in an attempt to accumulate all the chips so Daniel and PH both benefit by picking off big bluffs and trapping. What strikes me as so odd is that they both play very well after the flop in tournaments but are just awful on High Stakes Poker. For Hellmuth, it is usually his ego that convinces him people try to outplay him when they usually just have a better hand. In Daniel's case I just can't understand how he plays so poorly... if you take out the quads hand vs. Gus most of the time he paid off a big river bet, a good medium stakes grinder would have known enough to fold. The worst thing he does is tank and try to find a hand he can beat when right away it seems he knows he is beat. I will excuse any hands against durrr, although the AK vs J8 hand was pretty bad, but the rest of these players seem acutely aware that Daniel is not too fond of folding so why does he think they would ever bluff him in the really big pots? Benyamine made that one play with the smaller flush when Doyle had a set of queens and Daniel had the 10 high flush and that is the only time he ever folds a winning hand(which was really awful, but also a great play by David understanding the dynamic of the hand, 3 handed, check raising the river, and determining it was unlikely Daniel had the ace or king high flush)-- the rest of the time he is just a true pay off wizard, even the other two times he is up against quads, it is clear he is beat, particularly against Lindgren, when the board pairs and E-dog puts in the big river bet, I think a straight is no good 80 percent of the time. Against Benyamine, it is bad luck but JJ could be beat in a variety of ways there. The hands against Matusow, I don't know anyone else who is going broke with 89 there.... especially after the way the flop action went and how dry the board was - the 10 10 vs AQ suited handed was mathematically the right call but within the flow of the session a case could be made for laying it down, as Matusow is playing super snug and Daniel has been so snakebitten. How many times does he go broke with a pair -10 10/ JJ/ and other hands he would never go broke with in a deep stacked tournament..... The very best in the world (Doyle,Ivey, PA) definitely play aggressively and make some moves pre flop but when you get deep in the hand in a big pot they are always going to show you the goods. Not even counting all the times Barry value towned Daniel to death with the nuts. So yes at certain points he was very unlucky but he paid off so many times when 80 percent of the other HSP players would have known they were beat and folded IMO.

Watching a variety of High Stakes Poker reruns online and just found it awful how often Daniel and Phil pay off river bets when they are clearly beaten. Given how unlucky Daniel was during the 1st two or three seasons I was inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the episodes I watched this weekend illustrated the differences between the best in the world at NLHE cash games and the best tournament players. In tournaments, a lot of moves are being made and players are bluffing off big stacks in an attempt to accumulate all the chips so Daniel and PH both benefit by picking off big bluffs and trapping. What strikes me as so odd is that they both play very well after the flop in tournaments but are just awful on High Stakes Poker. For Hellmuth, it is usually his ego that convinces him people try to outplay him when they usually just have a better hand. In Daniel's case I just can't understand how he plays so poorly... If you take out the quads hand vs. Gus most of the time he paid off a big river bet, a good medium stakes grinder would have known enough to fold. The worst thing he does is tank and try to find a hand he can beat when right away it seems he knows he is beat. I will excuse any hands against durrr, although the AK vs J8 hand was pretty bad, but the rest of these players seem acutely aware that Daniel is not too fond of folding so why does he think they would ever bluff him in the really big pots? Benyamine made that one play with the smaller flush when Doyle had a set of queens and Daniel had the 10 high flush and that is the only time he ever folds a winning hand(which was really awful, but also a great play by David understanding the dynamic of the hand, 3 handed, check raising the river, and determining it was unlikely Daniel had the ace or king high flush)-- the rest of the time he is just a true pay off wizard, even the other two times he is up against quads, it is clear he is beat, particularly against Lindgren. On the hand when the board pairs and E-dog puts in the big river bet, I think a straight is no good 80 percent of the time. Against Benyamine, it is bad luck but JJ could be beat in a variety of ways there. The hands against Matusow, I don't know anyone else who is going broke with 89 there.... especially after the way the flop action went and how dry the board was - the 10 10 vs AQ suited handed was mathematically the right call but within the flow of the session a case could be made for laying it down, as Matusow is playing super snug and Daniel has been so snakebitten. How many times does he go broke with a pair -10 10/ JJ/ and other hands he would never go broke with in a deep stacked tournament..... The very best in the world (Doyle,Ivey, PA) definitely play aggressively and make some moves pre flop but when you get deep in the hand in a big pot they are always going to show you the goods. Not even counting all the times Barry value towned Daniel to death with the nuts. So yes at certain points he was very unlucky but he paid off so many times when 80 percent of the other HSP players would have known they were beat and folded IMO.
FYFP