Tournament Hand Discussion Thread

Fluff and I were talking and thought it was a good idea to place this topic in General Poker as lots of people do not visit the Strat section, or just don't know how to navigate this site. The both of us will be posting hands here for input. Hopefully Bob can pin this as well. Being in the general section I am hoping this will prompt good poker discussions as I do appreciate and grow by the input I receive from posting hands. So post hands for input and see where this goes. I will also make a thread for cash games too.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first hand of the ME, you're in the BB with AA, all other 8 players go all in. Do you call here?
how many times do we have to go over this, donk?
I get so excited that I get a little wood. Well the guy next to me is staring at me, so I need to relieve myself. I can't wait because this is my first time since I stopped using extenze so I want to enjoy this one for real. I call up my hooker friend, Betty. She's like OMG yes meet me in Room 302 at the IP. I'm like, babe that's so far away but I guess I have to if I want to get rid of this thing. After doing my thing I return to find out that my hand was folded 2 hours and 14 minutes ago, so my suggestion is to not fall for your temptations.

Early in tourneys the first few levels I usually min-raise or 2.5x so there is a deeper stack to pot ratio postflop. Do you guys do that? What are some early level strategies you use? I thought this thread would be a good idea for a better free flow of information on FCP for tourneys and a great place to post hands and start discussions.

I know a lot of players that agree with that but they don't go into that much detail as to why most of the time.

3-betting wide early in tourneys (pre-antes) is something people should do more.
:club:
I like to limp a lot of marginal hands early in case I hit a flop. If I don't hit a flop I'll c/r a lot without a plan.

Fluff you and I talked about me calling more from MP, CO and button, I like this shove, only worry was her stack size and her position calling UTG feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($5.00+$0.50) t100/t200 ante t25 - 8 playersMP cometacular: t4,301 HJ stef5153: t11,565 CO Knapik L.: t2,382 Button Hero: t2,476 SB Nikita748: t1,686 BB DoktorTomas: t4,187 UTG bobdog88: t16,365 UTG+1 Gwyneth2112: t3,673 Preflop: (t500) Hero is Button with :D:ts (8 players)bobdog88 raises to t400, 4 folds, Hero raises to t2451 and is all-in, 3 foldsHero collected t1300however this hand it backfiredferal_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($5.00+$0.50) t125/t250 ante t30 - 7 playersUTG+1 cometacular: t5,576 HJ stef5153: t11,530 CO Hero: t2,591 Button Nikita748: t1,836 SB DoktorTomas: t3,427 BB bobdog88: t15,393 UTG Gwyneth2112: t6,282 Preflop: (t585) Hero is CO with :3h:jh (7 players)Gwyneth2112 folds, cometacular raises to t750, stef5153 folds, Hero raises to t2561 and is all-in, 3 folds, cometacular calls t1811Flop: (t5,707) :club::D :D (2 players)Turn: (t5,707) :club: (2 players)River: (t5,707) :ts (2 players)cometacular showed :4h:5c, and won (5707) with a full house, Aces full of NinesHero showed :qh:D, and lost with two pair, Aces and Ninescometacular won t5707

however this hand it backfiredferal_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($5.00+$0.50) t125/t250 ante t30 - 7 playersUTG+1 cometacular: t5,576 HJ stef5153: t11,530 CO Hero: t2,591 Button Nikita748: t1,836 SB DoktorTomas: t3,427 BB bobdog88: t15,393 UTG Gwyneth2112: t6,282 Preflop: (t585) Hero is CO with :club::ts (7 players)
I dislike use of the word "backfired." With this stack you should be ecstatic to get it in flipping with dead money. Who cares about the result.
I dislike use of the word "backfired." With this stack you should be ecstatic to get it in flipping with dead money. Who cares about the result.
Right. Don't get in the mind-set of judging a play based on the outcome. In this spot, you did everything in your power correctly, got it in as a slight favorite with a bunch of dead money padding the pot, and happened to lose. The only part that is relevant is the part you can control. Like, even if the guy showed up with Aces here, it doesn't mean that your re-shove is bad vs. his whole range, just that you ran into the top of it.
3-betting wide early in tourneys (pre-antes) is something people should do more.
Could you please expand on that? Do you mostly just do that in position/from the blinds/anywhere?I've always struggled getting a bigger stack early, would love to hear what some people to to build a stack in early stages. My strategy is usually:early: fold2glorymiddle: fold2glorylate: fold2glory, enter godmodeI'm somewhat of a nit I guess. :club:
Could you please expand on that? Do you mostly just do that in position/from the blinds/anywhere?I've always struggled getting a bigger stack early, would love to hear what some people to to build a stack in early stages. My strategy is usually:early: fold2glorymiddle: fold2glorylate: fold2glory, enter godmodeI'm somewhat of a nit I guess. :club:
Seems like you and I have the same strategy.

Early in a $12 turbo something or other...Don't know opener. Button is 42/14 over 14 and my experience with players like this is that they very rarely fold to any kind of reasonably sized 3 betsferal_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($11+$1) t25/t50 - 9 playersSB: t1,084 BB: t1,575 (Hero)UTG: t1,795 UTG+1: t1,245 MP: t615 MP2: t3,965 HJ: t1,705 CO: t2,705 Button: t2,900 Preflop: (t75) Hero is BB with :club::ts (9 players)3 folds, HJ raises to t150, CO folds, Button calls t150, Hero..

Early in a $12 turbo something or other...Don't know opener. Button is 42/14 over 14 and my experience with players like this is that they very rarely fold to any kind of reasonably sized 3 betsferal_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($11+$1) t25/t50 - 9 playersSB: t1,084 BB: t1,575 (Hero)UTG: t1,795 UTG+1: t1,245 MP: t615 MP2: t3,965 HJ: t1,705 CO: t2,705 Button: t2,900 Preflop: (t75) Hero is BB with :club::ts (9 players)3 folds, HJ raises to t150, CO folds, Button calls t150, Hero..
What does this mean in regards to his 4betting and flatting ranges?
Would a jam be out of the question?

I'd probably ship this considering the pot size already. We're obv never afraid of buttons flatting range and the typical unknown in a 12/180 is pretty laggy. I think we're ahead enough here to ship. As you said, 3 betting here would be quite awkward seeing as you will probably end up seeing a flop and you'd have to 3bet close to 40% of your stack.

Right. Don't get in the mind-set of judging a play based on the outcome. In this spot, you did everything in your power correctly, got it in as a slight favorite with a bunch of dead money padding the pot, and happened to lose. The only part that is relevant is the part you can control. Like, even if the guy showed up with Aces here, it doesn't mean that your re-shove is bad vs. his whole range, just that you ran into the top of it.
your both right, Not focusing so much on the outcome , more on the play if it was the correct move. I am getting more into shoving where I used to just do a reraise without the shoving in. Fluff got me doing more of this in the last month. He also working on me calling more from the MP, CO, and button positions. I realized my M, was under 12 thus shoving was the best option.thx for the feedback guys. As for early Play, I also did what TwstdWrstr play more like a nit or premium hands, I agree with Ian as we sometimes need to open ranges just a little in the early game, it's also as what Fluff stated. He also told me to play aggressive and stay aggressive and to open my range a little more. I find this does work.