2011 Goals Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 Goals:-Get better everyday- yup, been working on my game a lot and feel confident in my thought processes and mind set at this point-250k hands- "On pace" would be 62.5k hands, and I've only played ~37k, but I'm not concerned as school and life stuff is going well and > poker. And I'll put a good amount of volume in over the summer.-Be a 100nl 'reg' by the end of 2011- dropped to 10nl to retool my game, but rolled for and ready for 25nl again, so here's to rocket-shipping this quarter

2011 Goals:-Get better everyday- yup, been working on my game a lot and feel confident in my thought processes and mind set at this point-250k hands- "On pace" would be 62.5k hands, and I've only played ~37k, but I'm not concerned as school and life stuff is going well and > poker. And I'll put a good amount of volume in over the summer.-Be a 100nl 'reg' by the end of 2011- dropped to 10nl to retool my game, but rolled for and ready for 25nl again, so here's to rocket-shipping this quarter
UP UP AND AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

For myself..... I'm sure I've made unrealistic goals in the past so this year i am going to keep it simple, 1. Turn the $100 or so in my PS account into $1000 - sitting at $30 the moment 2. Not deposit the whole year - but not had to do this :club:3. For tournaments, stick to low limit holdem and >$11 mix games, no more "shots" until i have a bankroll to sustain it. - Average Buy In - $3.61 4. Try and develop a decent cash game. - Not really played nearly enough volumeedit just reread it. for 2 i mean i haven't deposited so far this year.

Look I failed miserably this year. Whatever. I played in January and had a pretty brutal downswing and lost some confidence. Dropped down to 100nl in February and grinded really hard that month for about 60k hands. In February and March combined I got way too focused on my downswing and the fact I was like 6kish under EV and stopped focusing on my game. I didn't do anything in April at all really, except play a lot of Dynasty Warriors 5. In May I got my dedication back and upswinged very well at 100nl, moved up to 200nl and did okay. Then I started taking a few shots at fish a bit higher up, selling a % of myself. Unfortunately I hit another downswing immediately before going to Vegas in June. Vegas was amazing and may have been the best month of my life, I met a lot of very cool people, had a blast and actually broke even on the trip after poker (helps to run like god at CCR). In July and August I began switching my focus to tournament, grinding them reasonably hard but not FTing much at all and running up some makeup. Since then I've been horribly lazy, spent most of my days waking up at noon and then doing nothing all day. Hardly played any cash, probably played even less tournies.That was a long and poorly written paragraph but I'm really over it. I do feel like I've grown as a person and a player (not to mention in girth too!) over the last year, not nearly as much or as positively as I'd have liked, but that's okay. I'm starting university in a few months, it gives me something else to focus my attention on and will hopefully add some order and routine into my life. I'm hoping this can transfer into poker/general health too and I can begin the grind with a fresh dedication. That for me is going to start in January. I'm feeling good again. In terms of actualy monetary results, I've done a terrible job keeping track of my profit/loss from this year, switching computers 3 times and losing a few databases on the way. I want to say +4k or something similar.edit: managed to take a look at my results and it's about +7kSo some goals:- Don't fail uni- Get fitter/have the fucking discipline to stick to an exercise schedule- Enjoy poker again- Grind hard- Be prepared to admit the leaks in my mental game and work on fixing themApologies to kick this thread off on such a negative note, but it's only to make the rest of you studs look better :club:
- Don't fail uni - Got 10/10 in my first assessment, have since handed in 4 things and I could realistically fail all of them.- Get fitter/have the fucking discipline to stick to an exercise schedule - Doing much better here.- Enjoy poker again - success- Grind hard - epic fail- Be prepared to admit the leaks in my mental game and work on fixing them - partly a success, I haven't found tons of time to play recently so it's hard to fix some of this stuffoSt1WQyfjRaR-mdYsO2D.pngOnIz4qsjrOa7QCuB6r7c.png
  • 2 months later...

Half year bump. It looks similar to the quarter year tally, though.Poker- play 50k hands of poker. 30k / 50kNon-Poker- write 50k words (preferably fiction). 3k / 50k- burn 50k calories with cardio. 0.1k / 50kEdit:So how is everybody doing? If you've lost momentum, now would be a good time to redefine your year goals. Also, for everyone who has missed the thread when it was started: don't be shy, tell us what your goals for the rest of the year are.

Half year bump. It looks similar to the quarter year tally, though.Poker- play 50k hands of poker. 30k / 50kNon-Poker- write 50k words (preferably fiction). 3k / 50k- burn 50k calories with cardio. 0.1k / 50kEdit:So how is everybody doing? If you've lost momentum, now would be a good time to redefine your year goals. Also, for everyone who has missed the thread when it was started: don't be shy, tell us what your goals for the rest of the year are.
I've taken a break from Poker. Too much other stuff going on to get any ammount of volume in. Breaking one of my earlier bankroll related goals i'll probably play in the Razz WCOOP event and take it from there.
Get better everyday- without the big sites to play I've had a lot of time for reading/watching videos and studying the game. I've read MTT and PLO books and I've watched a lot of videos, so I feel like I'm still getting better without "really" grinding250k hands- well... not gonna happen. But I play on merge when I can/feel like it and been playing a lot of live poker.Be a 100nl reg- well I could get there on merge grinding up from 4nl but that is unlikelyNew poker goal for the rest of 2011Keep studying and working on my game so that if we get regulation I'm ready to crush.
  • 2 months later...
we all hate you kai
I know, but I still need to bump this one more time at the end of the year...This bump is a few days early, because I am going on a four day five country road trip on Friday, so there will be little time to post.Poker- play 50k hands of poker. 47k / 50k Pretty much on track, will definitely make that one.Non-Poker- write 50k words (preferably fiction). 12k / 50k This is going to be tough, but it's still doable.- burn 50k calories with cardio. 1k / 50k I started way too late on that one - it's going to be almost impossible to make it, so I'll stick with the original plan of doing 1k / week, which will be hard enough. I recently bought one of these stationary exercise bikes: A very good investment, as I get a workout and manage to go through the piled up DVDs. Normally there just isn't enough time for watching tv shows.Other than that, I've lost some weight: Went from 94.4 kg (207 pounds) to 87.3 kg (192 pounds) in 3 months, but now I am on an upswing again, so reaching my goal of 80 kg (176 pounds) and then bulking up, has become very difficult as well. Still, feels good being slightly thinner.
  • 3 months later...

This is it for 2011 and predictably, I've only achieved the poker goal. For 2012 I'll set a mix of easy and hard goals that are also tiered.Poker- play 50k hands of poker. DONENon-Poker- write 50k words (preferably fiction). 15k / 50k- burn 50k calories with cardio. 2k / 50k

I'm sure I've made unrealistic goals in the past so this year i am going to keep it simple,1. Turn the $100 or so in my PS account into $1000 2. Not deposit the whole year3. For tournaments, stick to low limit holdem and >$11 mix games, no more "shots" until i have a bankroll to sustain it.4. Try and develop a decent cash game.
1. Current bankroll on Pokerstars - $101.672/3. I deposited exactly £179 (around $280) throughout the year. Most of this was for specfic tournaments. Notably a few UKIPT (UK and Ireland) direct buy in satelite tournaments, which I didn't get a seat for. The ABI is at an all time low of $4.01. 4. I've been doing ok in cash games of late. Nothing that is going to rock the online world but i've stopped losing buy in after buy in.Overall fairly happy with this year. This biggest sucesses have predictably come in non holdem tournaments such as Razz, Triple Stud and 8 Game.