2011 Goals Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 was pretty awesome.In real life, a lot happened/changed and even though it sucked at the time, it was really good for my long-term success/happiness.In poker, a lot of good stuff happened. I worked my online BR from ~$250 to over $1500 strictly from grinding micro stakes 6max cash games with very conservative bankroll management. I've worked really hard on my game by grinding hands, watching videos, posting/responding to strat hands, and participating in sweats. I have learned a bit about variance and mental toughness in poker. I'm a wayyyyyyyy better player now than I was at the beginning of 2010 and I still suck. With lots of room to improve, I'm really excited for 2011.I played my first "big buy-in tournament" when I satty'd into the $1650 Heartland Poker Tour event in Blackhawk. I made day two and busted about 15 spots from the money. Great experience.I went to vegas during the WSOP and met a bunch of FCPers/4BBers. Great Trip! I had my best online session ever (up to that point) while out there. I also got to play some Venetian events. Bricked them. I suck at tournaments. But the house with the guys and spending time at the Rio during WSOP events was awesome.The Challenge thread in NL Strat was started in early 2010. It's been a great success imo and a lot of excellent discussion has occurred (and I've spammed a lot of brags and beats).So yeah, awesome year in 2010 and really excited for 2011.2011 Goals:-Get better everyday-250k hands-Be a 100nl 'reg' and on-my-own by the end of 2011With the games getting tougher everyday I think this is an ambitious but attainable goal.Also, I hope to be able to get to Vegas again this summer. I met a lot of great people this past summer but there are still a bunch I'd like to meet.

Welp, 2010 was a really swingy year for everything in my life. Didn't really accomplish too many of my goals from this past year, but did some of the important ones. So now that I get to put a kinda tough year behind me, I'm coming into the new year fresh and ready for a clean start Poker Goals: - Get better- FT a major - Play more live - Enjoy playing pokerLife Goals:- Graduate - Get a job and move west - Have fun

My Goals for poker are just to try and play my best whenever I play and hope the doom switch isn't against me too often.I reached one of my goals about a half hour ago when I made Supernova at Stars for 2010. Big difference in value between making it and not so I'm happy that I had the time since I've been back home to make it.

Back in 1998 I graduated high school barely due to distaste for homework and addiction to many illegal drugs. Chose the wrong college to attend, made it 1 semester and quit. In 2011 I will again attempt college and hopefully attain one of my life goals of earning a degree in Criminal Justice. Life Goals-Continue running atleast 12 miles a weekMaintain a B average in collegeDo more in the community, volunteer workPoker Goals-Don't deposit ever againStick to MTT's and Sittys, stay away from cash gamesSatty into WSOP event

Poker:Increase Volume:SNGs, MTTs and PLO cashPost more hereGenerally improve Non-Poker:Find a new Job in my field (that I actually enjoy and has better hours)Stay closer to family and friends.Join atleast one competitive sport league per seasonTake up a hobby that doesn't involve sports.Looking forward to this year regardless I'm starting to feel back on track for the first time since I graduated college.

I'm sure I've made unrealistic goals in the past so this year i am going to keep it simple,1. Turn the $100 or so in my PS account into $1000 2. Not deposit the whole year3. For tournaments, stick to low limit holdem and >$11 mix games, no more "shots" until i have a bankroll to sustain it.4. Try and develop a decent cash game.

I am one semester away from a 4.0 in college, that will be my only goal.Poker goals are silly, for me anyways. If I set a goal I try too hard to accomplish it and just end up failing. Like during Rush Poker Week, I've never grinded so much in life for that $250 bonus, but I ended up losing 3k in the process. SO NO GOALS

Goals for 2011Begin to act on the obvious and stop stacking off when I know I'm beat.Find the time to play without distraction.Make 5 figures.

PokerNot going to put a dollar amount on profit as that is not a good thought for me anymore. I am hoping to take poker more seriously, treat it like a part time job if you will. With that in mind:

• Play 15 to 20 hours a week
  • Qualify to a Sunday of $100+ buyin each week (Pending I am playing poker that Sunday)
  • Play in 2-3 WCOOP events and 5-6 FTOPs events this year
  • Being to play HORSE micro/play money cash games
  • Join a training site/Find podcasts to get about 3-5 hours a week in
  • For the first time, finish with a yearly profit.

I am hoping to qualify for the SM or Sunday 750 at least once a month. The HORSE part is to just make poker fun for me. I love when I play low buying HORSE, and I do not do it as much. A real key for me is to play 1T and 2T SnGs as well. My old philosophy was to just lower buyins (i.e. Go from $12 180-mans to 2.20, Go from $12 45-ers to $6.50 or $3.25, etc.). The key for me is play smaller fields so that I can grind a BR to be able to enjoy the MTTs with. Non-Poker

• Get in shape (At 213 pounds, want to be 180)
  • Get a good group of friends
  • Advance in my job and continue to better my position there
  • Start taking college courses
  • Find a dentist/work with them through the year to fix teeth issues
  • Be generally happier with my life

Bought Power 90 (prelude to P90X) which I should get today when I am at work, so will be starting tomorrow. I am tracking my meals for the first time in my life. So hope this works. I am being pretty honest with myself nowadays that I am not as happy as I should be and I am ready to change some things and get myself back to a good place. I know everyone says this coming into a New Year, but I need to get out and meet people and get a good group of friends now. Sorry to be a downer at the end, but like said previously in the post, by writing it here, makes it more permanent.GL all in 2011! Have a great year and best of luck in all your goals!

• 2 months later...

All right, first quarter is over, time for a tally.Since the year has 52 weeks, but my goals were specifically 50k, I am going to round down to 50 weeks, so that I need to accomplish 1k/w. Makes things easier :club:Poker- play 50k hands of poker. 13k / 50kNon-Poker- write 50k words (preferably fiction). 1.6k / 50k- burn 50k calories with cardio. 0k / 50k

I like the Quarterly update idea, promotes accountability.....Through March 31st, 2011 in red:

2011 Last Call Poker League Goals:
  • $30,000 in Annual Revenue, $18,000 in Gross Profit. - $11,306.75 in Annual Revenue, $4,092.55 in Gross Profit
  • Grow existing player averages from 17 to 35 per event - Current average is 19
  • Have a poker game somewhere every day of the week (currently 6 days a week and looking to add 7th already in January) - Success, 7 days/week now
  • Host at least 14 tournaments per week - Success, 18 tournaments/week now
  • Sell at least 1 franchise to outlying city - not yet
  • Add 3 new primary sponsors - not yet
  • Have 4 employees on payroll - 2 employees on payroll, 2 to go
  • Host 2 Charity Tournaments - 1 Charity tournament completed, 1 scheduled for June, 2011
  • Begin development of mobile private event/party division - not yet

QUOTE (MaxStPolish @ Monday, December 28th, 2009, 7:55 PM) Poker:-Exhibit moderate B/R management in the early portion of the year to cultivate a 200-300 buck roll into 500+ -Making 100-200 a month by June , still exhibiting solid B/R management...in an attempt to set a foundation to prove that I can grind a supplemental side income couple hundred a month in poker if/when the wife and I decide to have kid(s).-Continue progressing and cultivating my play in PLO/PLO8/HORSE-Get my first four figure score.-FT a NLHE MTT.-Take more time for MTT poker. I can't quantify this...I work M-F and have a very large social calendar on weekends. Essentially maybe taking a few days off solely to play poker or just give me weekend days for the intent of MTT'ing.Non-Poker:-It's weird. I think about it....and I'm pretty content with the status quo in my life these days. So I guess I hope things hang steady with work, love and life.- That said I'm hit a new high at 207lbs. I'm 6'2 and very athletic so it's really no big deal. But that said I want to get back to the 195-200 range and stay there, while still keeping up a good pace w/ lifting. First time I'm going to actually try to lose weight in my life.-Along with that I want to try and incorporate a meatless diet into my life. This is more of a pipe dream I feel, but I am slowly but steadily decreasing my meat consumption, so I guess just keep decreasing it when possible and we'll see what happens.

I was gonna wait 1.5 hours to post EXACTLY 1 year from last year. I'm very happy with reaching goals this year poker-wise. I achieved my first four figure score taking 2nd of 2332 in one of the early doubles on a sunday on tilt. It was NLHE. I have also had some other solid FT's by taking more time to play MTT's. I have really focused in on limit O/8 over the past year. My advanced PLO book 2 by Hwang has been sitting on my shelf for month(s). Non-poker, ehhh, but no complaints. Im actually up to 212. That said I've started eating a lot better generally speaking. I'm optimistic with my post holiday 2011 prospects :)As noted in the 2010 thread, I've sorta turned online poker into a means to facilitate a few LV trips a year. Im 100% fine with that!I actually got started on rakeback on FTP FINALLY. that is going a long way in keeping me steady, esp during this downswing (in cash) to close out the year.In all honesty my 2010 goals are pretty much considered a success, but at the same time are being readopted as my 2011 goals. I definitely want to keep the MTT thing going. I still honestly didn't play a whole lot of volume...but it was far more than prior years, and the results followed. I dont know for sure, but i was probably just about a break even cash player over a shit ton of hands. I've long since been in the frame of mind that NLHE is a shark filled game, so I've tried to focus on Omaha, Omaha/8 over the years. I wouldn't mind getting into some .05/.10 NLHE and maybe getting into posting hands and actually strengthening my play there. We'll see though!!!Good luck all!!!!
Actually literally just outlined some goals for myself over the past week. A lot of it ties into the stuff over the past year+. New things include a conscious effort to semi-track calorie intake and make no sports bets over 20 bucks in value.All is going well though in general. Haven't even touched NLHE outside of tournies. After a horrid vegas trip and other horrible wagering, I'm now want to B/R build....and switching to the micro-level sharky game is not the way to do it :)Edit: And rakeback has been every bit as valuable as anticipated. My new volume goal is to simply play cash enuff to book a silver or gold iron man each month (bronze if I ever am very busy just to keep the streak going).

I some how missed this thread originally so here are the goals I posted elsewhere:Increase my volume over the year by to 30% to 40% Increase my $ per tournament by 50% by mid yearPlay more live tournamentsMake and maintain at least gold statusImprove my cash gameBink at least one big field MTT with 1000+ players and at least a $10K prize pool 1st quarter results:This was my best quarter ever and March was my most profitable month ever. I actually made more in March than all of last year.Increase my volume over the year by to 30% to 40% Not doing so well hereIncrease my $ per tournament by 50% by mid year At the end of last year I was at $1.06 per game so far for this year I'm at $3.61 per gamePlay more live tournaments None so farMake and maintain at least gold status Made gold this monthImprove my cash game working on it I'm at 1.23BB/100 over 15K hands right now at 50NLBink at least one big field MTT with 1000+ players and at least a $10K prize pool I've made 2 FTs and finished 1 in 4th and 1 in 7thMaking some decent deep runs in MTT but no 1st so far.