Time Person Of The Year

OK so Time pussed out again and missed the obvious answer.Should have been "The Tea Party"Time has chosen groups before and love 'em or hate 'em who has changed us the most this year?

OK so Time pussed out again and missed the obvious answer.Should have been "The Tea Party"Time has chosen groups before and love 'em or hate 'em who has changed us the most this year?
those bastards.

Some would argue that the Tea Party has yet to actually accomplish anything. Perhaps they could be a candidate next year after the new wave of Republicans come into office and get to work on their main goal of reducing the deficit.

Some would argue that the Tea Party has yet to actually accomplish anything. Perhaps they could be a candidate next year after the new wave of Republicans come into office and get to work on their main goal of reducing the deficit.
after they work on their first goal which is to pass tax cuts that increase the deficit. Cagey buggers.
Maybe, but you also can't argue with their choice of...um, it doesn't say anywhere in this thread who it is.*googling*Mark Zuckerberg.Yeah, the man invented Facebook this year, which is, like, all over the place and stuff. Wait, that was seven years ago? Oh, but there was that movie this year, so same same.Why is he person of the year this year?
Some would argue that the Tea Party has yet to actually accomplish anything.
That's not what the person of the year award is about."for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year."The Tea Party was actually the runner-up. Followed by Wikileaks guy Julian Assange, Afghan president Hamid Karzai, and then the Chilean miners.
Yeah, the man invented Facebook this year, which is, like, all over the place and stuff. Wait, that was seven years ago? Oh, but there was that movie this year, so same same.Why is he person of the year this year?
It's 100% because of the movie, which is really strange. They could have made a really good case for him back when they only had 100,000,000 users.
Wasn't it a public vote?
no.EDIT: SKELLLLLETONNNN JELLLLYYYYYYY!!! *shakes fist toward heaven*
To me a good choice would have been the Wikileaks guy
Yup. I can't think of someone more influential this year than Julian Assange.Unless it's "Good person of the year"? Then it becomes more subjective.
Yeah, Zuckerberg seems like an odd choice, unless they're doing it for his entire body of work (like when Scorsese won best director for The Departed).
It seems clear that he's just the choice that's going to piss off the fewest people. Tea Party is too polarizing, as is Assange, so they pussied out. Time was stronger than this in the past and I find it fairly disappointing.
Maybe, but they haven't been for a while. Bin Laden should've been the choice in 2001 over Guil Giuli...over Rudy and Hitler probably should've been the choice for person of the century.
Fair enough. I just added that sentence to preemptively answer "No way man! They picked Hitler once!"
they picked zuck partly because he is donating half his net worth to charity sometime. I've seen the headline but didn't bother to read it.
Should be person of the year when he actually does it then. Ooh, I wonder if this is my way in to being named FCP Featured Member. Note to Bob: I hereby promise to donate half my net worth to charity sometime.*fingers crossed*
they picked zuck partly because he is donating half his net worth to charity sometime. I've seen the headline but didn't bother to read it.
So, if I donate half my net worth, do I get to be the Time person of the year? Because, if so, Habitat for Humanity should prepare to get a juicy check for $300 in the near future.
So, if I donate half my net worth, do I get to be the Time person of the year? Because, if so, Habitat for Humanity should prepare to get a juicy check for $300 in the near future.
apparently science, much like crime, does not pay.
Bill Gates started it and then Warren Buffett added most of his wealth. Basically, Gates called on all Billionaires to donate the majority of thier wealth in one way or another and most have (20 or so and counting) are giving or leaving it to Gates charitable foundation which is well established. It's an amazing amount of money and could do amazing things in many diverse fields especially health, wiping out diseases and Aids. Alot goes to Africa and scholarships, etc.For example, Buffett alone gave 37 Billion. the UN's budget is 12 Billion.

They had an internet vote, and Assange won by a huge margin. I think they were afraid of the repurcussions if they actually gave it to him.