2011 Negreanu Open Discussion

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just joking with you..i am by far the best poker player here..So bring it.
I know you were joking , As far as the best that's yet to be seen lol
can't you two just get along?old-people-playing-wii.JPG
don't make me bounty your butt too, there are no grays in my hair
hyper turbo 8 game and PLO plzRose it I'd bet that you are the oldest regular poster on these forums now Poker Addict vanished.
pfff

eliminate the prizes completely or just do a POTY prize. keep Bob's results on the leader board so his dominance is clearly viewed.I dont' think the buyin matters but I the structure is way too deep for what can routinely be a smallish field. 1500 would be plenty of chips. I'd prefer 1500 chips with a turbo structure but I'm not so sure others would agree.

Make it a bounty tournament. Lower the buyin to $5.50 and have a $5.50 KO. Maybe some PLO/2-7 mixed in
I think the buyin is fine, but lowering it might bring more players in. But I do really like the idea of a KO tourney.
8 game instead of HORSE is good idea to me.Perhaps a 6-max NL occasionally.
I like this idea. 6 max definitely.Gary mentioned turbos, maybe keep structure the same with 3k starting stack, but make it a turbo.Also what about a HU tourney as well?

I also think buyin is fine, but I'd be ok with it if it's lowered.I like the idea to change from HORSE to 8-gameI like the HU idea. Maybe a weekly rotation like NL week 1, 8-game week 2, NL week 3, HU NL week 4I don't mind the structure at all. These tourneys don't take that long.I totally understand that DN has tons of shit going on, but I think we should change the name to the FCP Open, and delete the part that says check to see if Daniel is playing this week or whatever. He's obviously not playing in this ever again.

I'd like to hear any reasonable suggestions people have for the Negreanu Open for 2011 and I would like to hear from everybody who plays the Nego or might play the Nego on one specific question.The one question I have is should the buyin be lowered to $5.50 from $11 ? By lowering the buyin we should get a few more players and I doubt we'll lose anybody who would play with an $11 buyin since I don't think anybody plays in these for the money. What do you think ?What other things would you like to reasonably see in the Nego for next year ?I know one thing that we have to be better at is getting the prizes out more quickly and for that I apologize. When I last e-mailed Matt about the prizes he was waiting until he had the chance to send them all out at once. I just e-mailed him again to see if he's had a chance to do that.
bob.... With experience I know there are a few things you can do to increase attendance.1. Lowering the buyin is the easiest thing you can. Most people on PS play low stakes poker and think $10.00 is alot.2. This is a big one. Send out weekly Email to all members to remind people about the game. For myself, Ill be honest and say only reason I remember is because rose messages me. If not, I would have missed a ton of games.3. Make game easy to find on the site. I myself still dont know where game is promoted on site. Really needs to be on main page and easy to get information. A quick view of main page should have the game somewhere.4. Rose is correct about Daniel. This is his site and his tourney. shouldnt hurt to play one or 2 games a year. If he did, you would find attendance after would be huge for a while and may get some more regulars.5. Winners- Really need to get that stuff out. People who win tend to play more often, but if their prizes are long delayed, it look real bad on site. Im sure it was just technical problems, but winners just want thier prizes and not excuses.6. Radio- DJ's could be done for as little as $10.00 a month. I could help set up whoever you all wanted to DJ. Makes games a lor more linteresting. You also get to interview different players. Can U imagine if we got Daniel to host a show or be a cohost? Might be worth the $10 investment monthly.7. Some ideas for promotions.7a. KING OF THE HILL- Winner of last week becomes King of the hill and bounty next week. someon or site would have to put money up for that.7b. Have winners of the week profile(picture) be posted on site on a banner. cost nothing and winners are the best advertisement. At HF, we have a monthly winner where we post thier picture/avatar on a banner for all to see on main page. Ive seen people care more about the banner then the money. cost nothing to site but space on main page.8. Structure of games. I love it. 3000 chips. Not ,many games with starting stack of 3000. Might need to adjust if we start gettign huge fields, but I like it.9. I kinda like horse myself and fine with 8 game, but new people are not going to be familiar with 8 game. You will lose people on those nights. Im sure your already haveing lower attendance on horse nights. Lets not make it worse.10. Email..... Someone needs to get the email out on these games. There are tons of members to this site, and I bet less then 10% know about these games. Ive never gotton an email from FCP and currently only get reminder from rose her eand there.Over all, I think email, lowerbuy in, recognizing winners, Radio, easy access and some Input from Daniel would all help increase attendanct for these gamesMASTER YODA

I only manage to play a few of those per year due to timezone constraints, but for what it's worth, my preferences: - I prefer the $11, but I wouldn't mind $5.50 - 3k stack > 1.5k stack - 8-game > HORSE - Occasional HU would be really cool - Remind Daniel that this thing exists and that it would be awesome if he could play every once in a while

For what its worth:I like all the ideas Yoda suggested, but alot of those would depend on how much work/effort someone wants to put in and how big do they want to make it. I have only been around for less than a year, so I don't know how things use to work in the "glory days".Personally, I like the $11, but would not mind $5.50 either. I think in six months I min-cashed once and bubbled a few times, so it is not like I play for the prize money.Kinda like the idea of rotation that has been suggesed. Week 1 8-game, Week 2 3k start NLHE, Week 3 1.5k start Turbo NLHE, Week 4 6-max, Week 5 KO/Bounties, etc. I think it would be fun to once a quarter try a "High Stakes Neg-O" and have maybe like a $25/$50 buy-in, or maybe some kind of Cash Game like a .25 or .50 NL 200bb buy-in with a 2-3-hour time limit with option on rebuy, etc. Can base points off of most won during the session. I think that would bring in some cash game players, but this maybe too complicated of a setup. As far as the prizes, don't know who "Matt" is with the prizes, but I would volunteer to handle/ship prizes. I used to run a Ebay Business out of my house as a side job and would handle 50-75 unique items and would send 20-40 packages daily and would ship retail/wholesale orders worldwide, so sending 10 prizes every quarter is not sweat. Really should only take like 2 hours MAX.As far as Daniel playing/not playing them, as a fan, I think it would be cool, but I can understand why he would not want to. Time being the the number one factor. But, if he did play then would it not bring in a ton of riff-raff? (Again, I was not around in the "glory days", so I don't know how things use to be.) I have seen videos of him playing lower stakes, and the rail is just unreal.Whether things change or not, I plan on trying to play as much as I can next year.

Some other thoughts....This is alot work for anyone. If Bob is doing everything, its really to much for anyone person. Think about the things that need to be done.1. Email game2. Post game forum3. Make game on Ps4. Keep track of points.5. Keep track of prizes.This is really alot for one person to do. Im not sure if Bob does it all, but seperating some of this would make things easier. One person doing email, another on points,,etc ...would help make things run more smoothly.People are missing the point of bobs Question. He asking for ways to increase attendance.Honestly, NL HOLDEM is where you will get the most players. I know I like horse and 8 game, and those are 2 game sthe regulars like, but they are also the game with least amount of attendance. I really think we should focus on just getting people in for the moment. We dont need r asons for people not to attend. Once attendance is up, then sure, do it, but for now, I think just getting the players in would be great.Master Yoda

I'd like to hear any reasonable suggestions people have for the Negreanu Open for 2011 and I would like to hear from everybody who plays the Nego or might play the Nego on one specific question.The one question I have is should the buyin be lowered to $5.50 from $11 ? By lowering the buyin we should get a few more players and I doubt we'll lose anybody who would play with an $11 buyin since I don't think anybody plays in these for the money. What do you think ?What other things would you like to reasonably see in the Nego for next year ?I know one thing that we have to be better at is getting the prizes out more quickly and for that I apologize. When I last e-mailed Matt about the prizes he was waiting until he had the chance to send them all out at once. I just e-mailed him again to see if he's had a chance to do that.
Some other thoughts....This is alot work for anyone. If Bob is doing everything, its really to much for anyone person. Think about the things that need to be done.1. Email game2. Post game forum3. Make game on Ps4. Keep track of points.5. Keep track of prizes.This is really alot for one person to do. Im not sure if Bob does it all, but seperating some of this would make things easier. One person doing email, another on points,,etc ...would help make things run more smoothly.People are missing the point of bobs Question. He asking for ways to increase attendance.Honestly, NL HOLDEM is where you will get the most players. I know I like horse and 8 game, and those are 2 game sthe regulars like, but they are also the game with least amount of attendance. I really think we should focus on just getting people in for the moment. We dont need r asons for people not to attend. Once attendance is up, then sure, do it, but for now, I think just getting the players in would be great.Master Yoda
I didn't get that from his questions at all. I think he was asking what we'd like to improve, which is why the question was asked for the people who currently play in the tournament/potentials who might if the buy in is lower. One of the things we could do is try to increase the attendance (by doing some of the things you stated above) but I thinkhe was talking about different types of games we'd like to play and buy in types.
This is really alot for one person to do. Im not sure if Bob does it all, but seperating some of this would make things easier. One person doing email, another on points,,etc ...would help make things run more smoothly.
I agree with most of your points. I think it would be a lot of work though. Delegating can also be an issue. What if someone says they are going to do something then flakes out. I think it might be hard for Bob to delegate jobs to people that he does not know on a personal level. Most of the mods on here have families and it is hard to commit to stuff like this on a weekly basis. Maybe it's time for a new mod who is around a lot and is willing to do stuff like this?I do agree with all your promotion points though. This tourney can definitely be promoted better. I think the only point I disagreed with was where you said 8-game would lose players compared to HORSE. I think 8-game is way more popular and fun. The other games are not difficult to learn. I remember the first time I played it I didn't know how to play 2-7 Triple Draw, but it took me about 5 minutes to learn. It just seems like 8-game has taken over HORSE and the NL players even like it better.
I didn't get that from his questions at all. I think he was asking what we'd like to improve, which is why the question was asked for the people who currently play in the tournament/potentials who might if the buy in is lower. One of the things we could do is try to increase the attendance (by doing some of the things you stated above) but I thinkhe was talking about different types of games we'd like to play and buy in types.
Maybe I missunderstood the question. If its games were talking about, then Im really up for anything. Heck, I like Razz,Omaha, stud8 or whatever. Seems the regulars here want 8 game and im fine with that too. (Quick thought) What if we lowered the buyin for odd games like 8 game and horse to $5.50 and keep the NL HOLDEM at $11.00.Master Yoda
Maybe I missunderstood the question. If its games were talking about, then Im really up for anything. Heck, I like Razz,Omaha, stud8 or whatever. Seems the regulars here want 8 game and im fine with that too. (Quick thought) What if we lowered the buyin for odd games like 8 game and horse to $5.50 and keep the NL HOLDEM at $11.00.Master Yoda
That's just the interpretation I got from the question but I'm glad you posted your potential improvements because you have some good ideas.
7a. KING OF THE HILL- Winner of last week becomes King of the hill and bounty next week. someon or site would have to put money up for that.
Maybe the previous week's winner could pick the next week's game

8 game for sure over horse.Like lots of ideas posted so far. As for dn, I get the general impression that this site was started with the goal of feeding into a gaming site of its own. Since that ship has sailed there isn't really an aggressive desire or basis to put much time and effort into expansion. I could be wrong but I think bobs post was more meant for general interests of current players with the idea of getting some other forum posters.personally if the field gets over 30-35 players with any regularity I would vote to slash start stacks to 1.5-2k as our 20 person tournies run near 3 hours. I'm all for a structure that lets us play but east coast and midwest players with 5am daily wake up calls will have an issue.Def 8 game over horse tho. And I'm fine with ten bucks, but also fine with five.won't be home till game time tonight but in future I'll run a hu satty into neg-o :club: