Athiest Billboard

Which ideas were those?
The ones about shutting your mind off and blindly believing everything that is in one specific book no matter how ridiculously wrong it is. ( Yeah, your broken clock is right twice a day, congratulations. )Oh, and everything the pope says.
I guess the whole grouping the Judeo-Christian model of morality with the KKK threw me..could you be a little more clear without admitting that your side's sins are 100 times worse than mine?
I was just making the point that "All ideas should be respected" is clearly not true. We need to evaluate each idea for its value before deciding that it should be respected. Some people are under the impression that religious views should be respected merely because they are religious. But if that's true, we have to grant the same respect to those guys who believed that they were getting multiple virgins in return for a mass murder.
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem you have with this is that:A. It's not true as proved through history, Christianity was a radical new idea that sprung up completely formed and established, just as it would if it's source was Divine.B. you are trying to turn around the reality that all forms of government founded on atheism are guilty of mass murders by the millions.The original point you made was another falsehood about history. Constantine didn't 'destroy the empire' because he converted, he was in the process of losing it all anyway and the 'dream' and following battle gave him the ability to reform things to consolidate power in another city, because he was losing Rome anyway.
I was being facetious. He obviously didn't start over from scratch. There was civilization before Christianity and subsequent Christian civilization used technology from that civilization.
Those that take swipes at christianity deserve no respect, unless they publicly take swipes at islam.
Despite what a few crazy people and Sharron Angle may (delusionally) believe about the threat of Sharia Law, there is only one religion in America constantly trying to legislate their faith.Also, this country has plenty of anti-muslim sentiment coming from all sides.
The ones about shutting your mind off and blindly believing everything that is in one specific book no matter how ridiculously wrong it is. ( Yeah, your broken clock is right twice a day, congratulations. )Oh, and everything the pope says.
Pretty sure the pope has been right more than twice a day.'Blindly believe'..sounds so bad when talking about religion..so open minded when postulating that there are infinite universes for infinite time to justify any possibility necessary to not have to believe in God...Or does it?
I was just making the point that "All ideas should be respected" is clearly not true. We need to evaluate each idea for its value before deciding that it should be respected. Some people are under the impression that religious views should be respected merely because they are religious. But if that's true, we have to grant the same respect to those guys who believed that they were getting multiple virgins in return for a mass murder.
Ah..the old 'if I disprove one religion I have disproven all of them' defense, in subtle reverse undertones.Made famous by the "...I believe in one less than you" straw man.Its okay, I understand why it is easier to just buy that line. Truth is a fickle mistress, requiring effort sometimes instead of shortcuts to intellectual honesty.
Despite what a few crazy people and Sharron Angle may (delusionally) believe about the threat of Sharia Law, there is only one religion in America constantly trying to legislate their faith.Also, this country has plenty of anti-muslim sentiment coming from all sides.
Jews?
I always get those two confused...must be the swarmy skin tones and large noses?
swarmy? I think it is great that Sarah Palin inspired you to also create new words.Also, if swarmy = swarthy + smarmy, you have actually described Jews well.And, the answer was Christians.
Pretty sure the pope has been right more than twice a day.
Prove it!
'Blindly believe'..sounds so bad when talking about religion..so open minded when postulating that there are infinite universes for infinite time to justify any possibility necessary to not have to believe in God...Or does it?
I can't think of a context where "blindly believe" sounds good, unless we are talking about Ray Charles.
Ah..the old 'if I disprove one religion I have disproven all of them' defense, in subtle reverse undertones.
Well think about it, you are doing the: "If I strongly believe one religion I have disproven all the others" .
Prove it!
Can't :club:
I can't think of a context where "blindly believe" sounds good, unless we are talking about Ray Charles.
Still can't get over that Jamie Foxx was such a good Ray Charles...almost as flabbergasted that the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was a good Ali.
Well think about it, you are doing the: "If I strongly believe one religion I have disproven all the others" .
Ah..but my religion clearly states that it is the only way to heaven. By believing in it, you must believe that all other ways are false.See, when you dig deeper than surface level you find these kind of things...
swarmy? I think it is great that Sarah Palin inspired you to also create new words.Also, if swarmy = swarthy + smarmy, you have actually described Jews well.And, the answer was Christians.
Swarmy = Klinger in MASH season 1-3.Feel free to apologize by PM
Which is always a solid marketing ploy, fwiw.
Or a logical conclusion when the Creator of the Universe is the One with the plan.Now the Catholics on the other hand had that whole indulgences thing which was straight out of marketing 101.Pay for your sins, before you commit them.*Swarmy Announcer voice*" Hey guys, got a big date tonight? Want to be able to perform without having to worry if you might get hit by a chariot before you can make it to your local priest to pay for absolution?Then WELCOME to INDULGENCES INCOPORATED.Here at II we take the sting out of sin by allowing you to pay in advance for your sins.Want to rape a woman? $5Hit a cop? $4Curse out a spouse? $1Hit a priest? $100Yes, you can find our easy to follow menu at your local II headquarters, conveniently located next to a bank, which we own."
Ye afew crazy christians want to legislate their faithAnd a "few" crazy muslims want their faith imposed under the sword of damacles,I can see why we are focusing on christians.
Christianity was a radical new idea that sprung up completely formed and established, just as it would if it's source was Divine.
That's wildly incorrect, and I don't just mean the "it's."
That's wildly incorrect, and I don't just mean the "it's."
I have to agree with SB here. I mean, the OT was predicting that it would happen 1,500 years prior to it happening. That kind of makes it not 'radically new'.
I have to agree with SB here. I mean, the OT was predicting that it would happen 1,500 years prior to it happening. That kind of makes it not 'radically new'.
This is not true,Some of the OT predicted it 1500 years prior, but some of it was only 1200 years prior...