• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your point? Sounds like they had a decade and a half to work on obtaining legal status and never bothered to do so. His father worked for Guatemala's agriculture ministry. Certainly he had the means and knowledge to understand that they were breaking the law AND the means and knowledge to do something to become Legal over the course of a decade and a half. Instead they chose to ignore the law.

What's your point? Sounds like they had a decade and a half to work on obtaining legal status and never bothered to do so. His father worked for Guatemala's agriculture ministry. Certainly he had the means and knowledge to understand that they were breaking the law AND the means and knowledge to do something to become Legal over the course of a decade and a half. Instead they chose to ignore the law.
But that wasn't the kids fault. He's been here basically his whole life. What purpose does it serve sending him to a federal prison and then to a likely death in a Guatamala prison?
But that wasn't the kids fault. He's been here basically his whole life. What purpose does it serve sending him to a federal prison and then to a likely death in a Guatamala prison?
this is why the DREAM act is such a good idea. Deport the parents but don't lay the "sins of the father" at the kids' feet.
this is why the DREAM act is such a good idea. Deport the parents but don't lay the "sins of the father" at the kids' feet.
It's amazing how many people here are behind him, but so many are screaming that he is just an illegal and no regard that he is a real person and what harm would befall him. It's pretty sickening to me.
It's amazing how many people here are behind him, but so many are screaming that he is just an illegal and no regard that he is a real person and what harm would befall him. It's pretty sickening to me.
Bummer but the alternative to have us judge the value of the person before we deport them is a worse result.If this kid was a drug addict who stole a woman's purses, you wouldn't have any problem if he was scheduled to be deported.So what if he is an average stock boy who doesn't want to do much more with his life and has a bad credit score and is behind on his car payment?At what level do we decide to enforce the law?I'd rather lose a few good ones and enforce the law on a level field than ignore the federal laws of the land because the perp is a nice person.
Bummer but the alternative to have us judge the value of the person before we deport them is a worse result.If this kid was a drug addict who stole a woman's purses, you wouldn't have any problem if he was scheduled to be deported.So what if he is an average stock boy who doesn't want to do much more with his life and has a bad credit score and is behind on his car payment?At what level do we decide to enforce the law?I'd rather lose a few good ones and enforce the law on a level field than ignore the federal laws of the land because the perp is a nice person.
But he's a real person!
It's also pretty sickening on how many cases there are of this that have not been identified and how much they are costing taxpayers. If everyone gets a free ride, then I want one too!
It's also pretty sickening on how many cases there are of this that have not been identified and how much they are costing taxpayers. If everyone gets a free ride, then I want one too!
If this were true, I'd totally agree with you!
If this were true, I'd totally agree with you!
I don't know how you can not believe this.In California when they instituted the lottery, the first majority of winners were illegals who took the money and left for Mexico.They took the money and left for Mexico...The LEFT for Mexico!
I don't know how you can not believe this.In California when they instituted the lottery, the first majority of winners were illegals who took the money and left for Mexico.They took the money and left for Mexico...The LEFT for Mexico!
lottery thieves! now, I am convinced.<serious face>---there is a lot of evidence that since so many illegals get fake SS numbers to work they actually pay a lot in taxes and don't reap the benefits. Does this outweigh the hospital costs? No one knows. It's just not that cut and dried.
lottery thieves! now, I am convinced.<serious face>---there is a lot of evidence that since so many illegals get fake SS numbers to work they actually pay a lot in taxes and don't reap the benefits. Does this outweigh the hospital costs? No one knows. It's just not that cut and dried.
I would be more surprised if their impact was even or in favor of the country.But yea, the notion that anyone really knows with all the factors seems unlikely.So I will just trust Palin and be for better border control.
This is going to be true ... but I have a gut feeling that taxpayers are getting the short end of the stick. But the reasoning is because we taxpayers are always getting the short end of the stick.
There is no realistic method for people to become citizens in any reasonable amount of time. That's a lie that the right spreads to avoid dealing with the real problem.
There is no realistic method for people to become citizens in any reasonable amount of time. That's a lie that the right spreads to avoid dealing with the real problem.
But why?Because we are just bureaucratic? Or because we have set a number for allowable immigration that is exceeded every single year?
But why?Because we are just bureaucratic? Or because we have set a number for allowable immigration that is exceeded every single year?
Both. And neither is excusable.
Both. And neither is excusable.
You and I have had this argument, you just want a larger number than the current one, but a number none the less. I am ambivalent because I currently don't know anyone that would benefit from a change in policy.
You and I have had this argument, you just want a larger number than the current one, but a number none the less. I am ambivalent because I currently don't know anyone that would benefit from a change in policy.
I don't have a specific number. There are two choices I could live with. One is "anyone who isn't a known criminal", and the other is "anyone who has a job waiting."The only people who would benefit would be, well, everyone. A few people would lose, mainly, overpaid union thugs doing menial tasks at above-market rates.
18 year old Guatemalan kid has been here since he was 3. Honor student and sings the National Anthem at his high school sporting events is getting deported.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2010112...-draws-interest
Positive discrimination should be applied in this case. The kid should stay....
I don't have a specific number. There are two choices I could live with. One is "anyone who isn't a known criminal", and the other is "anyone who has a job waiting."The only people who would benefit would be, well, everyone. A few people would lose, mainly, overpaid union thugs doing menial tasks at above-market rates.
So people who have a criminal record for being a dissident against a fascist communist regime would be turned away, along with anyone looking for work, but without a current job, would be denied entrance.What about a guy who has a job waiting for it, but sleeps in a few times and gets fired, does he then get deported?Once you establish that there are conditions on immigration, you will always end up with the need to turn people away at the border.That doesn't mean I like the long drawn out system we have, but to err on the side of safety and America over the desires of every foreigner who wants to come here is the preferable in my mind.
So people who have a criminal record for being a dissident against a fascist communist regime would be turned away, along with anyone looking for work, but without a current job, would be denied entrance.
I think there are enough people wanting to get in that we can start with people who have no criminal record. Then we can move on to those who have been persecuted for political reasons. Or at any time, I think there could be a system for political dissidents, since that's the exact people we want here.I would be fine for people without a job coming here, since there would be very little of that, but would be fine with starting just with people who have jobs.
What about a guy who has a job waiting for it, but sleeps in a few times and gets fired, does he then get deported?
I don't know, that's a temporary compromise in the first place, so I don't care how these rare cases are dealt with.
That doesn't mean I like the long drawn out system we have, but to err on the side of safety and America over the desires of every foreigner who wants to come here is the preferable in my mind.
There's a million miles between the current system and letting in terrorists. Any pretense otherwise is just bad excuses to keep out people who look and talk different than us.
  • 3 weeks later...

3000 dead now at the border town of Juarez. The war is still raging down here and the border is just as bad as it's ever beenthe latest:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101215/us_nm/...rizona_shootingThe complaint - "the smugglers are armed, will kill, and are in the USA using federal land for drug and human trafficing. What are you going to do about it"?Washington's answer to american citizens - "ummm.... it's all good. We put up a sign. please stay off that land?"ar127657554470233.jpg

3000 dead now at the border town of Juarez. The war is still raging down here and the border is just as bad as it's ever been
But it's worth it, because Americans no longer have access to illegal drugs.

I just had a meeting with a 72 year old man who immigrated here legally from Amsterdam in 1967. He knows more about US law and the Constitution that 99% of people I know, including myself.He told me when he became a citizen some of the requirements were: * Speak and Read English * Read a current newspaper and be able to comment and understand current events * Sign a document stating you would not apply for government assistance for at least 5 years, if you did you would be deported.**This I did not know.

I just had a meeting with a 72 year old man who immigrated here legally from Amsterdam in 1967. He knows more about US law and the Constitution that 99% of people I know, including myself.He told me when he became a citizen some of the requirements were: * Speak and Read English * Read a current newspaper and be able to comment and understand current events * Sign a document stating you would not apply for government assistance for at least 5 years, if you did you would be deported.**This I did not know.
If that last one is not the law now, inserting that in any immigration reform would go a long way toward getting sensible policy implemented.