Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Pt 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea what was going on, as I've only seen one movie, but I thought it was pretty stupid. I understand that people love the books, but I don't think I can stomach seeing another one of these.My problem with the first one I saw was the sport with the flying golden ball, where the team works really hard to score a bunch of points and are up like 20-0 and then Harry catches the ball and the game is immediately over. Has the author never watched a sport before?My main problem with this last movie was how Harry can do all of these wonderful magic tricks, including but not limited to, teleportation, invisibility, making a tiny tent huge inside, etc... but when he's in a basement he can't figure out how to pick a lock on a gate. My wife was all, "BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS WAND!". Really? He's completely useless without his wand? Why doesn't everyone just try to get a good wand then, instead of treating Harry like he's so great. I mean, ****, McGuyver would have been out of that basement quicker than Harry.
Ok, nevermind, no point in debating with you Kurt.
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, nevermind, no point in debating with you Kurt.
Also his wife is obsessed so he has to watch the movies. he looks for tiny flaws and tries to make people see how bad it is, when in all reality Speedz has won this entire thread. Actually it's really funny to hear the explanations, but really anyone who read the books could tell you an answer to all the questions.As far as the movie goes ... I thought it was quite boring, but I also remember that when reading the book the first part was kind of boring anyway. The real action is in the next movie and I think they were trying to push through some plot points so that they could have an easier time of just focusing on the action for the next one.The one thing that Brv is missing and I thought that anyone who hadn't read the books would immediately ask .. is Why didn't the just disapperate again when they saw the snatchers at the place the showed up at? It seems to me that they would have some sort of contingency plan in case something like that happened. IIRC they explain it in the book, but I can't recall what the exact circumstance was. However, I remember after the movie telling my wife that if I hadn't read the book I would have been bothered by that.
The one thing that Brv is missing and I thought that anyone who hadn't read the books would immediately ask .. is Why didn't the just disapperate again when they saw the snatchers at the place the showed up at? It seems to me that they would have some sort of contingency plan in case something like that happened. IIRC they explain it in the book, but I can't recall what the exact circumstance was. However, I remember after the movie telling my wife that if I hadn't read the book I would have been bothered by that.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat...I remember there's a reason, but can't put my finger on it without re-reading the book, which I don't have time for right now. Was there something about Harry not being able to do magic because the ministry had a trace on him and/or Hermione being the only one that can really disapparate safely?
Don't even get me started on the arbitrary points system, HB.
That's based on how things are actually done in some British boarding schools.

From Joe Posnanski's blog:"For the Harry Potter novels, J. K. Rowling invented a sport, Quidditch, which is played by magical peoples. But in inventing the sport she made an obvious mistake. She placed a very high value—150 points—on catching the golden snitch. What is obvious to a sports fan is that this would, in effect, make the game unplayable; the too-high value for the snitch would crush all of the other objectives of the sport, making the entire game revolve around capturing the snitch. In practice, every player would be basically committed to spotting the snitch, rather than just the Seeker, so that the game would not in fact play out the way that Rowling assumes that it would. "-- Bill JamesThere are many things I love about the Harry Potter books. Quidditch is one of those things. It is -- as I'm sure you know -- the game J.K. Rowling invented that features players on broomsticks, three goals that look like the hoops children use to blow bubbles, a quaffle (a soccer-ball sized thing the players use to try and throw through the goals), two bludgers (rather large iron balls the players use to knock other players off their broomsticks) and the Golden Snitch, which Bill referenced above. The Snitch is a tiny enchanted ball with wings that is released at some point and is almost impossible to catch (which is why catching it is worth 150 points vs. the 10 points you get per goal). The game ends only when the Snitch is caught, and Rowling imagines great games in Quidditch history that went on for months and months because neither side could quite catch it. One player on each team tries to catch the snitch -- he or she is called the seeker. Harry Potter, of course, is a seeker.And, despite Bill's absolutely correct statement about the value of catching the snitch being too high*, the game is wonderful, just another piece of the books' wonder. ...*Though perhaps this view is based on Harry Potter being so good at catching the snitch. It is clear from reading the books that catching the snitch is supposed to be ridiculously, absurdly, comically hard, but it's not THAT HARD for Harry. He seems to catch it with relative ease every time (except when the Dementors ... well, let's leave that for now). He is like the early 2000s Barry Bonds without performance enhancers -- if someone without any sense of the rules had watched Bonds, and only Bonds, they might have concluded that a home run was too easy to make the game much fun.

*Though perhaps this view is based on Harry Potter being so good at catching the snitch. It is clear from reading the books that catching the snitch is supposed to be ridiculously, absurdly, comically hard, but it's not THAT HARD for Harry. He seems to catch it with relative ease every time (except when the Dementors ... well, let's leave that for now). He is like the early 2000s Barry Bonds without performance enhancers -- if someone without any sense of the rules had watched Bonds, and only Bonds, they might have concluded that a home run was too easy to make the game much fun.
Except, the game is over when and ONLY when the snitch is caught. This is the main source of the stupidity of the game. Your other players have to really be crushing the other team for the points associated with the snitch to be by far the deciding factor in the match.Sorry, the game's stupid.
Your other players have to really be crushing the other team for the points associated with the snitch to be by far the deciding factor in the match.
This can't be what you mean. Do you mean that your other players have to be getting crushed for the snitch to be by far the deciding factor, i.e. in a big comeback?
This can't be what you mean. Do you mean that your other players have to be getting crushed for the snitch to be by far the deciding factor, i.e. in a big comeback?
I'm pretty sure I missed a "not" somewhere in that sentence, but I'm not sure where.