Zakuraz Tournaments Thread

Frustrating finish to the 22+R. I had like 12BBs when UTG shoved and I reshoved with AK, I had like 13 BBs. He had 103 and hit a 3 on the river to basically knock me out - had I won the hand I could've coasted to the money. So gross when that shit happens.12/180 I didn't cash.$55 I cashed for like $60 profit.Everytime I look at the prizepool to one of those tournaments it seems like a dream to imagine winning 1st for like 15-20k, like I can't imagine how sick that would feel. Hopefully one day I'll experience it; I feel I'm playing well and I know I'm learning tons from you guys, thanks.
@ the utg shove, people who are regs sometimes like to shove light utgh bc it looks so strong.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ the utg shove, people who are regs sometimes like to shove light utgh bc it looks so strong.
I have noticed this also when I watch well-known players, or they will often times raise like 70-80% of their stack fairly light if they are short, because that also looks strong.However...
I cant see a good reg ever shoving 12 bbs utg with T3
This.

I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, and I also have no idea how much cash you have outside of your poker roll, but do you really think it's wise to be playing $22r and $55 freezouts considering what your lifetime earnings are in poker? Even if you wanted to grind $12/180s you should have a boatload too considering the variance.Again, not trying to come across douchey, just offering my 2 cents. If you are just playing to gamble it up and take a few shots, cool, disregard my comments. If you really want to grind up a roll, it's probably not wise to play the limits you are playing.Here's a pretty good reference for BR management http://www.pocketfives.com/f7/sng-multitab...t-guide-378221/.

Trueace13 would shove 12 BBs UTG with T3Oh you said good.
well, it was sooted!
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, and I also have no idea how much cash you have outside of your poker roll, but do you really think it's wise to be playing $22r and $55 freezouts considering what your lifetime earnings are in poker? Even if you wanted to grind $12/180s you should have a boatload too considering the variance.Again, not trying to come across douchey, just offering my 2 cents. If you are just playing to gamble it up and take a few shots, cool, disregard my comments. If you really want to grind up a roll, it's probably not wise to play the limits you are playing.Here's a pretty good reference for BR management http://www.pocketfives.com/f7/sng-multitab...t-guide-378221/.
and yeh this...definitely think you should grind out smaller stakes to plug leaks, dominate those stakes and then move up...all depends on what your looking to do tho
My gut reaction to this is to think that I would never have the patience to follow such restrictions. However, the more I think about it the more I know this would be a great idea for me. I especially like the part of the cashout system, I'll definitely implement part of that into my play. Thanks for the link, it has some great stuff in it, I'm sure it will help me increase my discipline, and thus increase my overall ROI.
well, it was sooted!and yeh this...definitely think you should grind out smaller stakes to plug leaks, dominate those stakes and then move up...all depends on what your looking to do tho
Yeah, recently I have been trying to stick it to lower levels. In the past I have gotten too overzealous when I won and tricked myself into thinking I could win at the bigger stakes too, so I would take a shot at a Sunday Mill or play a $50 and a $100 MTT. I have been keeping myself disciplined recently and only allowing myself to take a shot at a $50 once in awhile. Besides, a field in a $50 is much softer than a field in a $200 imo.I have been keeping myself disciplined, though I screwed up tonight. I played 2 $22+R satellites for the Wednesday quarter mill and won the first one (then unregistered). The second one went past the start of the tournament, and I mistakenly thought that if I won the satellite I would automatically be unregistered. However, I did win and apparently even though the tournament already was 20 minutes in I still had to play.Thus... I'm currently playing in the Wednesday Quarter Mill if anyone is interested in watching. I'll do my absolute best and won't be playing any other tournaments tonight so I can focus.

AJ < 88 I'm out. Was about 80 people away from the money but i only had 10 BBs and AJ was the best hand I'd seen in 3 rotations so I shoved UTG and he called in the BB. Disappointing finish... But yeah I definitely noticed how much tougher that field was than my standard tournaments. I'm definitely sticking to smaller buy-ins from now on :club:

It's about time someone wrote a program to do that (I've been giving subtle hints to VB and Q for a while now, but so far without success), but as far as I know, no such program exists at the moment.
Your hints were too subtle.
Your hints were too subtle.
As subtle as quoting me as "donk4life"? ;)But more seriously, if you guys would be interested in writing something like that, we should discuss it some time on IRC. I have been thinking about it a bit myself, but I lack the programming skills to write an algorithm that is fast enough.
As subtle as quoting me as "donk4life"? ;)But more seriously, if you guys would be interested in writing something like that, we should discuss it some time on IRC. I have been thinking about it a bit myself, but I lack the programming skills to write an algorithm that is fast enough.
Strange, how did that happen with the quote... I'm not entirely sure what you want, so I'm curious to hear more about it.

Is this the right play here or too risky? It's the final table, so there's generous gaps between pay spots.feral_cow_icon.gifonce a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($10+$1) t3500/t7000 ante t875 - 9 playersSB: t151,049 BB: t393,227 UTG: t84,851 UTG+1: t346,244 (Hero)MP: t218,967 MP2: t512,055 HJ: t365,960 CO: t472,102 Button: t344,545 Preflop: (t18,375) Hero is UTG+1 with :4h:D (9 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to t14000, 5 folds, SB raises to t150174 and is all-in, BB folds, Hero calls t136174Flop: (t315,223) :club::jh:D (2 players)Turn: (t315,223) :D (2 players)River: (t315,223) :ts (2 players)SB showed :3h:qh, and won (315223) with a pair of KingsHero showed :5c:D, and lost with a pair of EightsSB won t315223

Finished 4th, not bad for losing above hand and being 8/8 for a little while. I got frustrated though near the end. I was playing well and felt like I could get HU pretty easily. With 4 left, there was one guy with like 1.5 mil and the other 3 of us all had around 400k. The big stack was bullying me left and right. My question is, when I'm being bullied like that, how do I react? When he is raising 3x BB when blinds are 5/10k, do I just shove over the top with any ace pre? I just didn't want to risk all my chips on a marginal hand when I had a good opportunity to move up the payscale. How do you balance risk with good hands (Ax) short-handed that really aren't so good when called off? Just bite the bullet and accept I might get beat and take 4th? Or fold and let him bully me and hope someone else gets knocked off?

Is this the right play here or too risky? It's the final table, so there's generous gaps between pay spots.feral_cow_icon.gifonce a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($10+$1) t3500/t7000 ante t875 - 9 playersSB: t151,049 BB: t393,227 UTG: t84,851 UTG+1: t346,244 (Hero)MP: t218,967 MP2: t512,055 HJ: t365,960 CO: t472,102 Button: t344,545 Preflop: (t18,375) Hero is UTG+1 with :4h:D (9 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to t14000, 5 folds, SB raises to t150174 and is all-in, BB folds, Hero calls t136174Flop: (t315,223) :club::jh:D (2 players)Turn: (t315,223) :D (2 players)River: (t315,223) :ts (2 players)SB showed :3h:qh, and won (315223) with a pair of KingsHero showed :5c:D, and lost with a pair of EightsSB won t315223
your odds suck to call the shove, and are at best calling to flip. shoving to flip is awesome when you have FE, but calling to flip is not a net coinflip. and thats best case scenario. min open and fold to the push imo

Okay thanks. I think what compelled me to call was the fact that if I had won the hand, I woulda been chip leader and had a great shot to make it HU. And if I lost, I wouldn't be entirely cripped because I'd still have around 20 BBs.Just needed to know it wasn't a horrible call. But I do agree with you rrumsey and in most situations I would fold there.

Okay thanks. I think what compelled me to call was the fact that if I had won the hand, I woulda been chip leader and had a great shot to make it HU. And if I lost, I wouldn't be entirely cripped because I'd still have around 20 BBs.Just needed to know it wasn't a horrible call. But I do agree with you rrumsey and in most situations I would fold there.
I thought this read I do agree with you rrumsey in most situations, and I got scared for a second.
I thought this read I do agree with you rrumsey in most situations, and I got scared for a second.
i was kinda reusing something vanessa selbts said on DC, so i cant take all the credit
Hey man, I know you've had countless deep runs in tournaments. Could you give me some advice on final table play? It seems I always get run over by the big stack who feasts off my blinds and I'm constantly up against 3bets. Either I'm always picking bad spots to bet, or I'm just not committing myself enough to pots.Any practical advice when playing vs a big stack when you are 4/5 handed at a final table?
Hey man, I know you've had countless deep runs in tournaments. Could you give me some advice on final table play? It seems I always get run over by the big stack who feasts off my blinds and I'm constantly up against 3bets. Either I'm always picking bad spots to bet, or I'm just not committing myself enough to pots.Any practical advice when playing vs a big stack when you are 4/5 handed at a final table?
It's really hard to answer a general question like "how to play against a big stack at a final table?". I mean, the general answer would be the same as it is in any poker situation: find +EV spots. (The main difference between a final table and an earlier table being that sometimes there's a difference between dollar-EV and chip-EV - you might want to read up on ICM a bit for that.) Other than that, it's hard to find many general do's and don'ts... What kinds of spots are +EV depends very much on the table and on the big stack. Against some big stacks, you can find spots with a lot of fold equity. Other big stacks won't fold much, but then you can find spots where you can get all your chips in and be ahead of their range.If you want more useful advice for these situations, it's probably easiest if you post specific hands or describe specific situations.
It's really hard to answer a general question like "how to play against a big stack at a final table?". I mean, the general answer would be the same as it is in any poker situation: find +EV spots. (The main difference between a final table and an earlier table being that sometimes there's a difference between dollar-EV and chip-EV - you might want to read up on ICM a bit for that.) Other than that, it's hard to find many general do's and don'ts... What kinds of spots are +EV depends very much on the table and on the big stack. Against some big stacks, you can find spots with a lot of fold equity. Other big stacks won't fold much, but then you can find spots where you can get all your chips in and be ahead of their range.If you want more useful advice for these situations, it's probably easiest if you post specific hands or describe specific situations.
I'll definitely do that next time I get in that situation.Hopefully soon, haha.Thanks.