Chip Leader To Short Stacked To Busted In Tournaments

I have been playing poker for about a year and a half (no major tourneys) just socially and in various events. I noticed that I have been able to do exteremly well in the early rounds of a multitable tourney (quite a few times i was the chip leader) only to find out that i was not able to last in the later rounds. This is extremly frustrating for me. I have tried different approaches once i have the chip lead. Typically, I am a very aggressive player and play a lot of hands. I also have shown my hand a lot of times when i have forced someone to fold and i had a great hand. I read some of Daniel's poker books where he mentions its a good idea to show your hand at times and remain unpredictable.Guys.. any advice as to what i should do or what the best practice is when you have a chip lead?

Sounds to me like you may suffer from FPS. Welcome to the site, but Check under the FCP Poker Forums>Daniel's Forums>Poker Strategy Forum>Tournament PlayYou can find some good info under there.
Thanks for the heads up and welcome Corvair. Just curious, what does FPS stand for? something poker syndrome..

Don't show your hand online ever!You need to change gears. Play tight aggressive/ loose aggressive/ tight passive. Play a style that works for the table you're at and the opponents you're against.Don't get overly aggressive before antes. It's usually not worth the risk. Learn to put your opponents on hand ranges and use those to help you make better decisions.Your only two goals in poker are make good decisions and force your opponent to make tough choices. That's it. Never take any action based on an emotion. That's all I got.

Thanks for the advice. As far as playing, I don't play online much at all. I was talking to in-person tourneys for the most part.Showing hands i guess is debateble, it all comes down to table image and what you want to portray. I know Daniel thinks its Ok to show your hands (obviously he can get away with the strategy). THen I've heard the other end of the coin to never show your hand unless you need to.

Thanks for the advice. As far as playing, I don't play online much at all. I was talking to in-person tourneys for the most part.Showing hands i guess is debateble, it all comes down to table image and what you want to portray. I know Daniel thinks its Ok to show your hands (obviously he can get away with the strategy). THen I've heard the other end of the coin to never show your hand unless you need to.
Imagine how unpredictable you could be if nobody saw anything.Giving extra information and being unpredictable is pretty illogical.

Actually read a great statement in the current cardplayer magazine today...im just gonna type it in full as it's perfect IMO:Alex "ags104" Santiago--Some beginners have a hard time playing a big stack early in a tournament. They feel the need to abuse every player at the table, and try to take down every pot. There are obviously times when this is the appropriate strategy, but more often than not, there are going to be savvy players at the table who will recognize what they are doing and will play back at them. THINK OF THE BIG STACK AS JUST A FREE PASS TO THE LATER STAGES OF THE TOURNAMENT. Obviously you shouldn't be playing passively, but you don't want to thrown away chips needlessly just because you can afford it.It goes on from there, but I feel like this statement goes a long way to to defeating the CL to SS to busto issue.

Actually read a great statement in the current cardplayer magazine today...im just gonna type it in full as it's perfect IMO:Alex "ags104" Santiago--Some beginners have a hard time playing a big stack early in a tournament. They feel the need to abuse every player at the table, and try to take down every pot. There are obviously times when this is the appropriate strategy, but more often than not, there are going to be savvy players at the table who will recognize what they are doing and will play back at them. THINK OF THE BIG STACK AS JUST A FREE PASS TO THE LATER STAGES OF THE TOURNAMENT. Obviously you shouldn't be playing passively, but you don't want to thrown away chips needlessly just because you can afford it.It goes on from there, but I feel like this statement goes a long way to to defeating the CL to SS to busto issue.
thanks Max. Good advice. I have started to get tighter and tighter since last time I started this and I have actually been in the money each time. also not showing my hands as much.. I guess it is a good strategy to keep people off track sometimes by showing what you have so they think of you in a certain way but it cant be done as often as i was doing it. Again, I have read both sides of the coin.

I joined PokerVT about a year ago, and from what I've learned on there, you should be constantly adjusting. If your first table is really tight, loosen up a little. and if it's really loose, tighten up. But if want a general rule of thumb, play tight early and observe your opponents, and then when antes kick in, get more aggressive. Especially in position. Also, with a big stack, you want to play more pots and abuse the medium sized stacks against which you have a lot of fold equity, particularly around the bubble. And when you get under 20 bbs, you might want to consider reshipping pretty wide against people who raise too much.