When You Type The Letter C What Finger Do You Use?

The Middle Finger Test  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you type the letter C with your middle finger or index finger?

• Middle Finger
    • Index Finger

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use your middle finger, then your index finger can be ready for the T at the end of the word.
Yeah but just as you gain a millisecond of convenience in one direction you lose it in another. If you use your middle finger for the C then yes your index is ready for a T, but if you use your index for the C then your middle is ready for an E! What I find distressing about the Middle C (pun intended) is that it takes your ring and pinky fingers dangerously far from their northern responsibilities. It makes W awkward and Q even worse, and God forbid you need to put a 1 or 2 after a C, because it will take you all day if you subscribe to the middle-finger method. Typing the word 'chew' is perhaps my best example of this.
What I find distressing about the Middle C (pun intended) is that it takes your ring and pinky fingers dangerously far from their northern responsibilities. It makes W awkward and Q even worse, and God forbid you need to put a 1 or 2 after a C, because it will take you all day if you subscribe to the middle-finger method. Typing the word 'chew' is perhaps my best example of this.
That doesn't make any sense.

Next let's have a bake off, and then a sewing _ontest.Remember when we used to see who's unit was longer? Or who had killed the most defenseless animals?Good times

So I am going to type this out and see what fingers I use to type. Wow, I use only my index and middle on both hands and my right thumb for the space bar. I also seem to only use my left ring finger for the shift key and never use the right shift key. That is also weird. But I type pretty fast.
I never noticed this before but I do almost the the same thing (except my left thumb does the spacing duties and my ring left ring finger hits a and q). I've had formal keyboarding training ( i probably was in the last class of kids that used an actual typewriter), but I must have slipped into lazy habits. I think part of it is that from gaming online I've made my left hand position itself so my ring is on the a, middle is on the s, and index on d ( but it sort of floats over d and f both) How very odd.

I took a typing class when I was in 6th grade. It was mandatory. My family was not poor or anything, I had access to a computer from a young age, and was already familiar with the layout of a keyboard. My teacher was a hardcore Annie Duke, and on my first typing test, she saw that I almost never used my pinkie, and had a number of other unorthodox typing habits. The first test came around, and I hit the WPM threshold pretty easily. My teacher however was unhappy. "You aren't going to be able to type fast enough using that form. You must change your typing habits." When I asked her what the grading criteria were, and she confirmed that it was simply performance: WPM and accuracy. I then removed my ring finger fro the equation entirely, and then my right middle finger. I passed all the tests, but my teacher still gave me a B in the class. And now I've got some pretty crappy typing habits to boot. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started sharing this anecdote, but I guess this is one case where my random, pointless, stubborn insubordination just didn't work out all that well. I want to take the typing test, but I will be depressed by the two-thumbs-on-my-iPod results.

Is that a capital C?Cause a capital letter requires me to use my pinkie and that influences my typing slightly.
Not if you use your right pinky to press the right shift key.
Yeah but just as you gain a millisecond of convenience in one direction you lose it in another. If you use your middle finger for the C then yes your index is ready for a T, but if you use your index for the C then your middle is ready for an E! What I find distressing about the Middle C (pun intended) is that it takes your ring and pinky fingers dangerously far from their northern responsibilities. It makes W awkward and Q even worse, and God forbid you need to put a 1 or 2 after a C, because it will take you all day if you subscribe to the middle-finger method. Typing the word 'chew' is perhaps my best example of this.
Gibberish. Wrong gibberish.
Read it again, it makes sense. Middle-finger-C = easy T.Index-finger-C = easy E. Maybe the thing about the W and Q was a little indulgent.
Still wrong. See chart above.I took typing class in High School so using all my fingers has just stuck. Except for my left thumb which goes unused.The right thumb handles all the space bar duties.
I took a typing class when I was in 6th grade. It was mandatory. My family was not poor or anything, I had access to a computer from a young age, and was already familiar with the layout of a keyboard. My teacher was a hardcore Annie Duke, and on my first typing test, she saw that I almost never used my pinkie, and had a number of other unorthodox typing habits. The first test came around, and I hit the WPM threshold pretty easily. My teacher however was unhappy. "You aren't going to be able to type fast enough using that form. You must change your typing habits." When I asked her what the grading criteria were, and she confirmed that it was simply performance: WPM and accuracy. I then removed my ring finger fro the equation entirely, and then my right middle finger. I passed all the tests, but my teacher still gave me a B in the class. And now I've got some pretty crappy typing habits to boot. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started sharing this anecdote, but I guess this is one case where my random, pointless, stubborn insubordination just didn't work out all that well. I want to take the typing test, but I will be depressed by the two-thumbs-on-my-iPod results.
And did this "stubborn insubordination cause you to miss the "m" too?
Probably "two-thumbs-on-my-ipod" is the culprit here.I always use my right thumb for the space bar.
I'm sure you're right. I missed that part of his post the first time.

I'm surprised at the results but get why it is. Most people don't go through proper typing class. The correct finger is clearly "middle". It's like the next thing you learn after being taught home keys. It just makes sense that you use the same finger to type one up or one down of the home keys "ASDF JKL;"If you don't look at the keyboard when you type and are 100+ WPM your answer is surely MIDDLE.

Middle. Didn't take test, but pretty fast and never look at keyboard except for numbers.The real question is: which thumb do you hit the space bar with? My just-retired keyboard's space bar is shiny from use on the right side, untouched on the left. It drew the attention of someone who happened to glance down at it and say, "Oh, right-thumbed spacer? I'm left." I'm actually left-handed, but even trying to space with that hand is a disaster. So freakish.

Middle. Didn't take test, but pretty fast and never look at keyboard except for numbers.The real question is: which thumb do you hit the space bar with? My just-retired keyboard's space bar is shiny from use on the right side, untouched on the left. It drew the attention of someone who happened to glance down at it and say, "Oh, right-thumbed spacer? I'm left." I'm actually left-handed, but even trying to space with that hand is a disaster. So freakish.
oh gee...never thought about that. I use both thumbs but looking at my spacebar it's pretty obvious I use my right thumb most of the time.this thread has suddenly made me type slower cause i never use to think so much about what my hands were doing