Stop And Go Play. Is This It?

Stars $3 Rebuy 180. I just was not into it mentally tonight, and was getting tilted every table I played. Basically just screwing around here. I think this is stop and go play that was talked about in the Lurbz well a week or so ago. Just wondering is this it?? I know this play is too advanced for me, but was this a good spot to break it out. After looking back, I think the villains stack size was to big for me to try this against.feral_cow_icon.gifYour converted hand, now with more cowbell.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($3.00+$0.30) t400/t800 ante t75 - 9 playersBB frndgomes89: t7,295 UTG MamaSonJoe: t19,939 UTG+1 ulider: t12,244 MP moe86: t25,657 MP2 bluesls53: t13,425 HJ clovnex: t12,250 CO kuafas: t11,973 Button Hero: t11,109 SB YAKUT625: t9,098 Preflop: (t1,875) Hero is Button with :D:5c (9 players)MamaSonJoe calls t800, 2 folds, bluesls53 calls t800, 2 folds, Hero raises to t3500, 2 folds, MamaSonJoe calls t2700, bluesls53 foldsFlop: (t9,675) :club::4h:D (2 players)MamaSonJoe checks, Hero bets t7534 and is all-in, MamaSonJoe calls t7534Turn: (t24,743) :D (2 players)River: (t24,743) :ts (2 players)MamaSonJoe showed :jh:qh, and won (24743) with a pair of NinesHero showed :D:3h, and lost with high card AceMamaSonJoe won t24743

i would wager the max pre flop
Yeah this...and this isn't a stop n go. Stop n go is when you flat a raise pre oop and jam the flop.
Yeah this...and this isn't a stop n go. Stop n go is when you flat a raise pre oop and jam the flop.
OK. I woulda jammed this pre, but was just having one of those nights, and was in a f'n-around mood. The way my night went I am surprised a 9 did not come on the turn and another on the river.
OK. I woulda jammed this pre, but was just having one of those nights, and was in a f'n-around mood. The way my night went I am surprised a 9 did not come on the turn and another on the river.
well then there really shouldn't be a question...and if your just ****ing around, go all in every hand...much more funmy point of this is to only post strat questions, not questions where you took a bad beat/lost a flip/did something you normally wont do (not saying you do it a lot, just giving you a bit of advice)

shove or fold pre. probably ship it. stop and going is something i honest think i have never done. maybe if someone better then me has a good example of when to do it? but i generally just play pushbot or fold. and i like it. easier to multitable that

Can't remember which of Daniel's books has a great explanation, might be the 2nd one....Basically in the stop-n-go you do not want the turn AND the river cards dealt and you're pretty much going all-in after the flop and hoping the other guy catches air. Hopefully his stack is small enough that the all-in can be a big enough hit for him to fold. Example might be: you 10 BB's, early position A-10 off, raise to 2.5 BB , folds all around 'til the BB and he calls. Hopefully an Ace or a 10 high come on board, if it's checked or bet to you go all-in...If you get air and there's a stiff bet into you, you can still fold and pray like hell the next 2 hands!!! If the button only calls and you don't have position you are going to be 99% committed to going all-in no matter what the flop is. Most of the time this more useful out of position and obviously against only one opponent...With position I don't use it that much because because flat calling I might not get the opportunity to jam, whereas as raising and then jamming puts max pressure on the other guy. If I get re-raised I'll probably call if the guy has a huge stack. Bottom line: you'll know more how/when to use it by playing hands backward after you get rivered!!

best (and probably the only) spot to use a stop and go effectively, is when you are short stacked and in the blinds, and any shove HAS to be called by the other player(s) in the pot. just complete or check, and push any flop. you are hoping like hell that the opponent misses the flop and your extra chips actually have some fold equity that they didn't pre flop.

• 2 weeks later...