Vegas Trip Report

(Warning Long Post)Thought I would share a little Vegas trip report----was out there Friday thru Sunday:Hotel/Food---Stayed at the Venetian. Room was really amazing. The tub with jets was a nice touch. Liked having a separate sitting area a lot. Only downside was our room faced a 100 foot tall advertisement for Rita Rudner but that did lead to a fun moment when my drunk brother in law called the front desk asking them to get Rita Rudner to stop peeping through our window. The front desk lady was a good sport.Went to Terry Fator's show. A minus. Little corny but it is a lot of fun and he is very good. My wife loved it. Grabbed some lunch in the Venetian shoppes at Wolfgang's Postrio. Really great food, corn soup with creme freche was delicious. Had dinner Friday at Wing Lei at the Wynn. Not the best of the expensive chinese places on the strip. Jasmine at Bellagio and Fin at the Mirage were much better.Had brunch at the Grand Lux cafe. Very standard. Lunch at Noodle Asia at the Venetian was amazing but everyone knows about that place and its awesomeness by now. Had dinner at Lavo at the Palazzo. It's Italian AND a nightclub like Tao. Good news, bad news. We had a table out on the strip and the view was amazing. The food was very good...I destroyed my arteries with spaghetti carbonara that was A+. But, they clearly were hurrying us because of our late reservation as they wanted to get into nightclub mode. We were in and out in an hour....not cool.Had room service on Sunday morning. Great selection, super fast, friendly server. Food was good too. Venetian was met my expectations all around. Hit Noodle Asia again that afternoon because the sports book was so full but the noodle bar was a great place to see all the TVs.Gambling--I had a very successful non-poker gambling trip which is a first. Friday night, I won 900 dollar playing slots. I know, ****ing slots. I hit the 1000x wedge and then the 250x wedge on the Wheel of Fortune game on back to back spins. That was a lot of fun. I also won about $400 playing craps over 3 days mostly because of a girl out for her bachelorette party who hit 5 points in one throw. I was pressing pretty hard and also hit a few hard-ways.Sunday was one of the more fun football sweats. My wife never understood the appeal of sports betting so I put $80 on a three team parlay: Rams moneyline, Ravens moneyline, Jets to cover. The sweat on the Ravens game was amazing; she got super into it and can't wait to go back out and do that again on a Sunday. Also made about $410 profit from the bet. Win-win-win.I did dump $150 playing blackjack. I am the worst blackjack player ever; I cannot remember the last time I even made a hundred bucks last a while at a ten dollar table. I lost $150 in like 25 hands. Barely enough time to get a beer.Poker---Played just 1/2 NL at the Venetian and the Saturday $340 tourney at the Venetian.Cash highlights:first session, I turned $300 into $650 mainly on the strength of two hands. Called otb with KcJc after an EP raise and two callers in front of me. Flop was KJ4 rainbow and I got three streets of value from AK and two streets from a guy who said he folded Q10 on the river when it missed. Two hands later I busted a short stack with 99 against AK on a flop of K98. second session, bought in short for $200 because time was a factor. Got sloppy and check-shoved AdQc on a board of Jd10d3h5d. It was a young aggro kid I thought was barreling light but he had a set of 10s.third session, lost $300 on a set over set situation (44 v JJ on a 4J7 flop). Basically, treaded water for 3 hours until that hand, nothing I could do.Last session, trapped a moron when I flopped a straight with 87 in a 5 person raised pot. Then busted a shorty with KK > JJ. Folded for 90 minutes before I played a 6 way raised pot with QsJs in the hijack. Hit a queen on the flop and a jack on the river with some baby cards in between to win a nice sized pot. Ended this session up about $550.Tourney highlights:Played the $340, got 140 players which seemed like a nice turnout. Ran super hot the first 5 levels. We started with 12k in chips....I had 60k by the 2nd break. KK>AK, AA > AQ, and a rivered flush when I semi-bluffed with the nut flush draw and an over against top pair.First hand after 2nd break, an older woman shoves UTG for 14k. Folds to me in the BB and I of course call with QQ thinking I am way ahead. Nope, she has KK. Did not see that coming. Later I 3bet a maniac with JJ only to get 4 bet all in by a huge donkey on the button. I had put in 7,200 and had only 21,500 behind so I called and lost the race to JJ. Frustrating but oh well.All in all it was a good three days.

Is it possible to find bad food anywhere on the strip out there?? I've been twice and I think the worst meal I had was at the joust show at the Excaliber. It was so bad I couldn't stuff anymore down. Unlike several other places, especially the (Italiano Restaurant in Harrah's??) where I had to go puke to make room for more.

Is it possible to find bad food anywhere on the strip out there?? I've been twice and I think the worst meal I had was at the joust show at the Excaliber. It was so bad I couldn't stuff anymore down. Unlike several other places, especially the (Italiano Restaurant in Harrah's??) where I had to go puke to make room for more.
it's more about the variance between ok, good, great, and otherwordly. I have had no bad meals in Vegas on the Strip but I have had mediocre ones. For instance, for the money, Wing Lei is just not worth it at all imo whereas Jasmine at the Bellagio was worth every penny.Negs, I don't know if you were leveling me or not......or maybe I am just a total food snob.....but Maggiano's is just meh-chain Italian imo. Lavo was fantastic.
it's more about the variance between ok, good, great, and otherwordly. I have had no bad meals in Vegas on the Strip but I have had mediocre ones. For instance, for the money, Wing Lei is just not worth it at all imo whereas Jasmine at the Bellagio was worth every penny.Negs, I don't know if you were leveling me or not......or maybe I am just a total food snob.....but Maggiano's is just meh-chain Italian imo. Lavo was fantastic.
yea i know its not huge on the chain. just saying that the mushroom ravioli there is the best ever though. we went back a second time this summer just for that.
yea i know its not huge on the chain. just saying that the mushroom ravioli there is the best ever though. we went back a second time this summer just for that.
full size portions there can feed a small family
We have a Maggiano's here in South Florida, I will have to give it a try.
Later I 3bet a maniac with JJ only to get 4 bet all in by a huge donkey on the button. I had put in 7,200 and had only 21,500 behind so I called and lost the race to JJ. Frustrating but oh well.
You both had JJ?Sounds like you had a good time!

Maggianos is okay. Finally ate at battistas for the first timemy last trip adored it. Anyone else? Im an italian semisnob (ie maggiano is good but like wendys of italian good)nice trip.trdefinitely forgot to do one. Janikowski shanks 29 yard fg ftl. My +210 big bet goes down poop chute. Fin.

You both had JJ?Sounds like you had a good time!
he had AcKc, Mr. trip report typo catcher. King in the door, too, sigh.
Why only 1-2NL for the cash game, is that just your prefered space or was there no good action higher?
I usually play 1/2NL or 2/5 NL but I just chose 1/2 this trip mostly because I knew I would be spending more than usual on food and booze and shopping with my wife and brother-in-law with me. Venetian had at least 5 tables of both running at all times, usually more.