Several. Why? I'll take it that you've had them play the Authority Card and you didn't like the fact that they decided to control a situation instead of letting you try and treat them as a Public Servant.
except they are public servants. I only have had problems with police at sporting events because they clearly do not want to be there and they will screw with you for fun. Never had an encounter with a police officer outside a stadium where I felt the cop was not being professional and fair. I'm white and clean cut tho
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, the crappiness of police is indirectly proportional to the amount of actual crime in the area. Police in the suburbs who have little actual policing to do are the ones who are most likely to annoy an obviously innocent person for the sake of it. In a real city, the cops are too busy dealing with, you know, murders and such to bother people over nothing. I'm always happy to see a police officer when I'm in New York. They're there to protect me.

In my experience, the crappiness of police is indirectly proportional to the amount of actual crime in the area. Police in the suburbs who have little actual policing to do are the ones who are most likely to annoy an obviously innocent person for the sake of it. In a real city, the cops are too busy dealing with, you know, murders and such to bother people over nothing. I'm always happy to see a police officer when I'm in New York. They're there to protect me.
This + the richer the suburb the exponentially more annoying the police.
The cops in new york are great. The cops in L.A. are terrible. They are steroid-head kids who act like they are marines in Iraq.

I would be much more concerned by a cop discharging his weapon in such a crowded public place. I would be inclined to not believe that officers story.

Several. Why? I'll take it that you've had them play the Authority Card and you didn't like the fact that they decided to control a situation instead of letting you try and treat them as a Public Servant.
no. this was about their stories being different that witnesses and you being surprised by it. as most people who have been arrested for something can tell you this shouldn't be shocking. i'm not going to scream "but i was innocent" because, well, i wasn't and almost everybody who gets arrested isn't either in one way or another. but its just the nature of the way this thing works. they lie to protect each other and they lie and bend the rules when they couldn't get you honestly.
  • 3 weeks later...

So I was eating lunch and I hear a bunch of growling and commotion outside. I'm not really thinking anything of it cause it sounds almost normal ... then there is a loud scream and I hear people yelling. So I look outside and there is this pitt with a death grip on a poodle. There is a guy that has the pitt, and the two owners of the poodle (older folks) who are just screaming for the dog to let go because there is blood on the coat of the poodle (he had him on the torso luckily and not the throat). So I come out there and start walking towards everything yelling at the guy to choke out the pittbull. He gets him into a chokehold just as I arrive there and I went up near the back of the pitts mouth and using the skin pushed against his teeth and he let go. So then the owners of the poodle took him away and were consoling him while me and the other dude held the pitt down. Apparently he had gotten away from the owners about a block away. So they had come over and got him. It was pretty wild! But there were no cops called or anything and I think they immediately took the poodle to the emergency room. i hope he made it out alive. I would think he did, it didn't look too bad although there was blood on the ground.So my question is ... did I do the right thing in order to break up the fight? I know it was probably dumb to get my hand that close to his mouth in that situation, but that was the only thing I could think of quickly.

Picking up the dog by the back end takes away his leverage and ability to do damage. They are easier to make release when they don't have their hind legs on the ground.
What about taking your carry weapon out and shooting the vicious beast ? Once a dog like that has attacked another dog or a person should it be put down ?
What about taking your carry weapon out and shooting the vicious beast ? Once a dog like that has attacked another dog or a person should it be put down ?
If a human life or safety is in danger I could perhaps advocate pulling out and discharging a weapon in public - and I wouldn't second guess most people who did it to protect their pet from attack. However in most cases there are probably more appropriate courses of action. Any dog that shows dangerous aggression - particularly against humans - should probably be euthanized. Not just Pits. Even in the case of the cop's actions that I posted earlier in this thread there is some justification for his actions. As much as I hate to admit it. I've since realized I am second-guessing the Cop in that situation. But I think such decision making has been influenced by the Headline Bias I claimed in the OP. Instead of assessing the situation as a possible dog tussle which happens literally millions of times a day, many have been led to believe there is something more when it involves a "Pit Bull".
If a human life or safety is in danger I could perhaps advocate pulling out and discharging a weapon in public - and I wouldn't second guess most people who did it to protect their pet from attack. However in most cases there are probably more appropriate courses of action. Any dog that shows dangerous aggression - particularly against humans - should probably be euthanized. Not just Pits. Even in the case of the cop's actions that I posted earlier in this thread there is some justification for his actions. As much as I hate to admit it. I've since realized I am second-guessing the Cop in that situation. But I think such decision making has been influenced by the Headline Bias I claimed in the OP. Instead of assessing the situation as a possible dog tussle which happens literally millions of times a day, many have been led to believe there is something more when it involves a "Pit Bull".
Well there is something more when it comes to a "pit bull" and that is the lock jaw that happens. Most dogs you can barrage with fists or yell at them or anything else ... with a Pit he has that damn jaw and you have to take more extensive action. and I hate to say it, but most people don't know what the hell to do in that situation. Looking back at what I dealt with it was crazy. If I hadn't been there to start yelling some sort of direction, I'm pretty sure that other dog would have been killed. The one guy who stopped to help was simply trying to hold the pit and trying to punch the dog, while the owners of the other dogs were just trying to hold onto their dog with a surprised look on their faces. No one knew anything to do. So I start yelling directions (albeit I guess they were the wrong directions) but then things started to happen and the little dog got free. Anyway, let me know if my thinking is wrong or not. I am not really biased against the dogs themselves because they can be great dogs ... but this is now the second time that I have been an eyewitness to a crazy pit fight.
  • 1 year later...