• Barry Greenstein
    • Scotty Nguyen
    • Chris Ferguson
    • Dan Harrington

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why hasn't anyone said Greenstein? He has been around for a long time and played at the highest stakes. Seidel is a good choice too.
I agree. I think Greenstein, Ivey, and Harmon are good choices since they have all have consistently beaten the big game, but Greenstein has been around a bit longer so I give the nod to him.To whoever said that Greenstein is arrogant: really? I mean, are you really that stupid? Anyone who knows a little bit about Greenstein knows he is not in the least bit arrogant. Plus, the guy has given millions, a large portion of his income, to charity. It's kind of hard to call a guy like that arrogant.Now if you really want to talk about arrogant, let's talk Phil Hellmuth.
I agree. I think Greenstein, Ivey, and Harmon are good choices since they have all have consistently beaten the big game, but Greenstein has been around a bit longer so I give the nod to him.To whoever said that Greenstein is arrogant: really? I mean, are you really that stupid? Anyone who knows a little bit about Greenstein knows he is not in the least bit arrogant. Plus, the guy has given millions, a large portion of his income, to charity. It's kind of hard to call a guy like that arrogant.Now if you really want to talk about arrogant, let's talk Phil Hellmuth.
i don't think you know what arrogant means because arrogant and charitable are not mutually exclusive
How do you know how these people do in the big game? Truth is, you don't, since the records aren't made public. Both could be losing players in the game, or big winners, but either way you'd have absolutely no idea. I happen to know, but I don't think you do. As for calling the guy stupid for claiming Greenstein can be arrogant, how do you know he's not? I'm not claiming that he is or isn't, but you really wouldn't know unless you heard him speak off the record.

Obviously Ivey is a great choice but I think Action Dan is still my first choice. Ivey over Seidel would be fine but I think Harrington gets huge bonus points for his books. He has had such an influence on the game.

As for calling the guy stupid for claiming Greenstein can be arrogant, how do you know he's not? I'm not claiming that he is or isn't, but you really wouldn't know unless you heard him speak off the record.
I've followed you for about 6 years (wow has it been that long?) including when you played those hu matches vs greenstein. I have only heard you say good things about him and I trust your judgement.As for not knowing for sure whether Ivey, Harmon, and Greenstein are winning players in the big game, I guess that's true, but all three have played in the big game for a LONG time and I have never heard of any of them having massive amounts of disposable income. Greenstein says he has a .5bb/hr winrate in his book and I don't think anyone would say that Ivey hasn't won millions in that game. Harmon has widely been recognized as the best all around female player and again, I haven't heard of her having massive amounts of disposable income to waste in the big game. I have heard you say that Farha is a big loser, which doesn't surprise me after seeing his play on hsp.

I called Barry arrogant for two reasons - 1. have you ever heard him interviewed he sounds like his feces is made of gold2. At the 2007 WSOP I was standing out with the Valet at the end of the night and Barry pulled in - he told the valet I just need to run in and I'll be right backthe valet said "I still need your name sir" without even looking back Barry said with total condescension "Everybody knows me here! I'm fine" and ran away without looking backI told the valet his name and hey for all i know when he came back he apologized and tipped big, but he acted like a big shot which is never cool with me personallycalling someone arrogant isn't necessarily that big of an insult either - Barry is very successful and smart he has a reason to be arrogant, but if you read his book or listen to him interviewed - he comes across to me like a guy who has nothing to learn from anyone and everything to teach everyone else

How do you know how these people do in the big game? Truth is, you don't, since the records aren't made public. Both could be losing players in the game, or big winners, but either way you'd have absolutely no idea. I happen to know, but I don't think you do. As for calling the guy stupid for claiming Greenstein can be arrogant, how do you know he's not? I'm not claiming that he is or isn't, but you really wouldn't know unless you heard him speak off the record.
pissy moodnext time, leave a positive or cheerful comment at the bottom after you bitch slap one of your 'people'

My personal experience with barry greenstein is limited. I was watching him play some tournament on stars and had a small conversation about why he likes cali better than vegas and then told him if I ever ran into him anywhere I was gonna mention this conversation and have him sign my copy of his book and he said he would and was real cool about it. I have seen alot of the "bigger" pros on pokerstars that won't even talk to the railbirds. I thought it was pretty cool myself , I mean he didn't even have to acknowledge me really. I know it isnt a huge cross section of his personality or anything but just my little experience.

don't mind daniel. he is just a little bitter because he only has one vote. and he voted for himself. :club:
pissy moodnext time, leave a positive or cheerful comment at the bottom after you bitch slap one of your 'people'
Yeah I thought so myself. lol.Also, I feel kind of honored to be one of the few people ever flamed by DN.
I have seen alot of the "bigger" pros on pokerstars that won't even talk to the railbirds.
After being on the rail and reading the stuff people write, I turned off spectator chat - can't fault the pros for doing the same.
I see Linda and Ivey getting in.
Linda and Harrington more like itAs for Barry, He signed my copy of his book and we chatted when he played in the WPT in the falls a few years ago he was super nice and on the rail had several conversations with a lot of people on the rail. I also ran into him at the bar and we chatted there and again he was super cool.
Linda and Harrington more like itAs for Barry, He signed my copy of his book and we chatted when he played in the WPT in the falls a few years ago he was super nice and on the rail had several conversations with a lot of people on the rail. I also ran into him at the bar and we chatted there and again he was super cool.
I don't have a crusade against him or anything - but again being nice to people who fawn over you doesn't mean that you aren't arrogantalso whenever his "fans" that he spends so much time with are mentioned they are usually women and mostly of Asian upbringing
  • 5 weeks later...

The Hall of Fame agreed with our poll and Erik Seidel and Dan Harrington were elected to the Hall of Fame.http://www.pokernews.com/news/2010/10/poke...ounced-9177.htm

2010 Poker Hall of Fame Inductees Announced2010 October 19, Chad HollowayLast year, Mike Sexton was the sole inductee into the Poker Hall of Fame, an honor everyone in the poker world agreed was well-deserved. This year, ten finalists were chosen by public vote for consideration by the Poker Hall of Fame Governing Council and it was just announced that two players will join the ranks in the Poker Hall of Fame. Coincidentally, both men began as tournament backgammon players before honing their poker skills at the Mayfair Club in New York. Both Erik Seidel and Dan Harrington will be joining the Poker Hall of Fame as the official Class of 2010.“I’m very honored to be elected to the Poker Hall of Fame this year and it's an extra bonus for me to be going in with Dan Harrington,” Seidel said. “We have played together and have been great friends for my entire poker career. Both of us refined our games at the Mayfair Club in New York. I have such a high regard for the many members of the Poker Hall of Fame that I have played with over the years and it's a real privilege to be able to join them.”ARTICLE CONTINUED AT LINK ABOVE
was the mayfair club a legal club or just ignored at the time?
From the article:...In the mid-1980’s, Harrington made the switch to poker and began playing in the Mayfair Club, an underground card club in New York, where Howard Lederer, Steve Zolotow and Erik Seidel played....

deserving choicesIvey said he may decline if he got it since he didn't want to get in at an earlier age than Chip Reese did around 40.