• Erik Seidel
    • Linda Johnson
    • Tom McEvoy
    • Jennifer Harman
    • Barry Greenstein
    • Scotty Nguyen
    • Chris Ferguson
    • Dan Harrington

As for my real answer, I think Harrington and Seidel are good choices.Ivey is 100% going to become HOF, but it's still too early. Methinks he is still raking in the poker accolades and accomplishments.The poker HOF should be treated as the Academy awards lifetime achievement awards or the baseball hall of fame. People get inducted while they are on the way out, so to speak.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why hasn't anyone said Greenstein? He has been around for a long time and played at the highest stakes. Seidel is a good choice too.
Greenstein would be my 3rd but Harrington and Seidel should take it this year.

Tom McEvoy, because he's old, used to be a good player, but can't win anything else in poker these days.Plus I got a signed copy of his stupid book from PokerStars when I was using up reward points many years ago...

Tom McEvoy, because he's old, used to be a good player, but can't win anything else in poker these days.Plus I got a signed copy of his stupid book from PokerStars when I was using up reward points many years ago...
Tom McEvoy berates $12 SNG regs from the rail.True story.
Not sure how Ivey isn't the unanimous winner. Why do we have to wait till people are 50+? Some of those options are complete jokes. Mcevoy?? Really???
because normally hall of famers are inducted or nominated as inductees when they are at the end of their careersivey has records to smash. when he IS inducted it will mean much more at 'that' timemcevoy is a c*nt
Not sure how Ivey isn't the unanimous winner. Why do we have to wait till people are 50+? Some of those options are complete jokes. Mcevoy?? Really???
This. AINEC.I hear the argument about how hall of fame induction normally occurs at the end of a career, but poker is clearly different because age does not limit a career (though it could affect effectiveness). In baseball, hockey, etc. a player deteriorates with age and so there will always be a retirement and then the 5 year window could run.If everyone agrees Ivey is the top choice, he should be inducted now, rather than punishing him for not yet being retired. Needless to say, I selected Ivey. Also, Mercury69, you try too hard and you aren't funny.
because normally hall of famers are inducted or nominated as inductees when they are at the end of their careersivey has records to smash. when he IS inducted it will mean much more at 'that' timemcevoy is a c*nt
More to whom? I don't think Ivey really cares all that much about induction now and I doubt he will later (or at least not until much much later).
More to whom? I don't think Ivey really care all that much about induction now and I doubt he will later (or at least not until much much later).
thismy guess is that if Phil had the choice between showing up for the ceremony and playing craps the decision would be fairly easy for him

Disagree about Ivey not caring.

He talks about how special having the Ivey Room at Aria named after him is and how he hopes to be a role model and stuffYes I know he gets paid for the Aria deal and the HOF would not involve him being compensated
Disagree about Ivey not caring.
He talks about how special having the Ivey Room at Aria named after him is and how he hopes to be a role model and stuffYes I know he gets paid for the Aria deal and the HOF would not involve him being compensated
I think Ivey does pride himself on generally being a good person and being a role model, etc. At least I have no reason to believe otherwise.But I am pretty sure, based on everything I have read or heard, that he does not worry about accolades and is more worried about living his life. He unquestionably deserves induction and I am sure he will appreciate it, but I also don't think it matters to him all that much (other than perhaps being offended that PH was honored, but he wasn't). Also, to the extent that he does care, I still maintain that he won't care "more" in a few years.

That's the thing about poker. The end of people's careers happens when they die. This isn't a pro sport. Sure its tougher as you get older to keep up mentally but anyone in the poker HOF should be winning in big games until they day the die. Iveys the clear winner here and Mcevoy and Ferguson being nominated is laughable.

Serious question that I am not even sure why I am asking, but what is the criteria for this, (honor?)?In actually sports, they let in owners, managers, people who had influence over the sport etc?So with that being said, why wouldn't Ferguson be a candidate. Not only has he been a figurehead for the sport, won lots of tournaments, but didn't he kind of help write some of the original software used for online poker and help start Full Tilt and make it what it is today? Isn't that worthy of this (honor?)?

Serious question that I am not even sure why I am asking, but what is the criteria for this, (honor?)?
Below is the criteria. - A gambler must have played poker against acknowledged top competition, - Played for high stakes, - Played consistently well, gained the respect of peers - And stood the test of time. - Or, for non-players, contributed to the overall growth and success of the game of poker, with indelible positive and lasting results.
This. AINEC.I hear the argument about how hall of fame induction normally occurs at the end of a career, but poker is clearly different because age does not limit a career (though it could affect effectiveness). In baseball, hockey, etc. a player deteriorates with age and so there will always be a retirement and then the 5 year window could run.If everyone agrees Ivey is the top choice, he should be inducted now, rather than punishing him for not yet being retired. Needless to say, I selected Ivey. Also, Mercury69, you try too hard and you aren't funny.
true true true.
That's the thing about poker. The end of people's careers happens when they die. This isn't a pro sport. Sure its tougher as you get older to keep up mentally but anyone in the poker HOF should be winning in big games until they day the die. Iveys the clear winner here and Mcevoy and Ferguson being nominated is laughable.
i don't disagree with you here loosh. ivey is the clear winner. but this list is entirely inappropriate.ivey shouldn't be on that list (yet) and ferguson/mcevoy shouldn't be on there, period.this should really be a moot point and ivey should be inducted when he takes the bracelet lead imo.