S-n-g Grinder Burn Out

From time-to-time in my poker play, I've come across regulars (grinders) who multi-table low or medium stakes poker. Some of them last a few weeks or months, some last perhaps a couple years, but eventually they all seem to disappear.More to the point, it seems like most of their results seem to suffer, then eventually they give it up. I don't know if they become too formulaic or if the game changes over time, or if it's just plain burn-out.I try to keep myself healthy-minded. I have a real job, and generally speaking, when I'm playing a lot, I hope to get in 20 hrs per week, but even that takes a toll on my mental state. I've sometimes figured that if I lost my job, perhaps I could support myself with poker for awhile, but perhaps I'd lose my mind after a month. I watched one guy go from the 1.75 18-mans, up to the $38 18-mans in just about a month or two. He was 20+ tabling, and doing great. Then I checked back on him and he was playing lower limits again, and his results were awful.Does anyone who grinds 40 hrs/week or more last very long? Just wondering if anyone else has any observations.I like to soul-search periodically. I'm just wondering what I might want to watch out for...

From time-to-time in my poker play, I've come across regulars (grinders) who multi-table low or medium stakes poker. Some of them last a few weeks or months, some last perhaps a couple years, but eventually they all seem to disappear.More to the point, it seems like most of their results seem to suffer, then eventually they give it up. I don't know if they become too formulaic or if the game changes over time, or if it's just plain burn-out.I try to keep myself healthy-minded. I have a real job, and generally speaking, when I'm playing a lot, I hope to get in 20 hrs per week, but even that takes a toll on my mental state. I've sometimes figured that if I lost my job, perhaps I could support myself with poker for awhile, but perhaps I'd lose my mind after a month. I watched one guy go from the 1.75 18-mans, up to the $38 18-mans in just about a month or two. He was 20+ tabling, and doing great. Then I checked back on him and he was playing lower limits again, and his results were awful.Does anyone who grinds 40 hrs/week or more last very long? Just wondering if anyone else has any observations.I like to soul-search periodically. I'm just wondering what I might want to watch out for...
lol here i'll go down the listfrenzuhmsusyr24I GRIND THISSoul SailorAaralynnBagonirixMikedagreat1lol TRICKEDhowdyfolks (who can go get hit by a bus preferably)OU THE NICKPeachesForMerat sauce 89Zippusgruaiggormand that's just a portion of the 180 and 45er regs that I've not seen leave for any extended period in the last year+ that I've been grinding.
lol here i'll go down the listfrenzuhmsusyr24I GRIND THISSoul SailorAaralynnBagonirixMikedagreat1lol TRICKEDhowdyfolks (who can go get hit by a bus preferably)OU THE NICKPeachesForMerat sauce 89Zippusgruaiggormand that's just a portion of the 180 and 45er regs that I've not seen leave for any extended period in the last year+ that I've been grinding.
I used to see wickss79 out there a lot too. He actually tried to make a job out of it, and was making about 25K/yr for perhaps a year. I think he mostly played the 3.25 and 6.50 45-man's.tigerbalm (SitnGoGrinders.com) doesn't even seem to grind anymore.But mostly, I'm just curious about why... Did they all get "real jobs"? Probably. Others may have simply burned out once they realized that, "It's a hard way to make an easy living," as they say.Honestly, I don't plan to grind too seriously for more than a couple months at a time, but last month, I set some goals that might take awhile to achieve. I'm up about $1600 since July 1st. I'm kinda mad that I didn't see the Sit-n-Go challenge until around August 1st, since that's about all I do.
I used to see wickss79 out there a lot too. He actually tried to make a job out of it, and was making about 25K/yr for perhaps a year. I think he mostly played the 3.25 and 6.50 45-man's.tigerbalm (SitnGoGrinders.com) doesn't even seem to grind anymore.But mostly, I'm just curious about why... Did they all get "real jobs"? Probably. Others may have simply burned out once they realized that, "It's a hard way to make an easy living," as they say.Honestly, I don't plan to grind too seriously for more than a couple months at a time, but last month, I set some goals that might take awhile to achieve. I'm up about $1600 since July 1st. I'm kinda mad that I didn't see the Sit-n-Go challenge until around August 1st, since that's about all I do.
It's not just SNGs though. Deeb quit MTTs for a while. People in "real jobs" burn out too. Just had this discussion with a professor, average job turnover rate is 3-4 years currently, and with the stress and variances of poker it makes sense that it's shorter.There's other guys I forgot, madb0y, bradtj2002, etc. all have continued powerhouse grinds. I have seen some guys quit for a while (LipoFund, Clemson_Pimp, Intypol, Zornh0lio) and come back. Also, it's right after WSOP, so there is a lot of burnout from that sometimes too (I know more than a few who are/were on temporary hiatus after that, SNGWizard for example)
It's not just SNGs though. Deeb quit MTTs for a while. People in "real jobs" burn out too. Just had this discussion with a professor, average job turnover rate is 3-4 years currently, and with the stress and variances of poker it makes sense that it's shorter.There's other guys I forgot, madb0y, bradtj2002, etc. all have continued powerhouse grinds. I have seen some guys quit for a while (LipoFund, Clemson_Pimp, Intypol, Zornh0lio) and come back. Also, it's right after WSOP, so there is a lot of burnout from that sometimes too (I know more than a few who are/were on temporary hiatus after that, SNGWizard for example)
I've seen Zornholio recently and SNGWizard just the other day. I am not at home, so I can't check my PT. I'm usually at the $3 rebuy 180, $12 180 and the $10 DON. Also, If I was a very good low-stakes reg, wouldn't it be good to change your name/account from time to time?? (or is it not that easy to do).Also, do the Regs play the same stakes or do they bounce around? I have been doing the $3 rebuy 180 and doing pretty good, but I have noticed the same "regs" there deeper in the tourneys. I know there are several cash game bots that play the same stakes and style all the time (seems like 24/7 for the past 3 months or more). Just wondering if the same applies for MTT SNGs.
Changing your screenname is not allowed at all
OK That is what I figured. So you would have to create a new account and close the old account, and probably would have to have a good reason to do this?? So basically it is a huge pain to change the name. BUT since there is only about 100k plus people that play at PS at any one time, I guess you really could care less if you are a really good small stakes grinder.
OK That is what I figured. So you would have to create a new account and close the old account, and probably would have to have a good reason to do this?? So basically it is a huge pain to change the name. BUT since there is only about 100k plus people that play at PS at any one time, I guess you really could care less if you are a really good small stakes grinder.
No.You get 1 account.You can't open another or change your current one. The first one you open is the one you are stuck with forever.