Survivor Nicaragua - Fantasy Pool

Using the word "uppity" in relation to Black people might not be the best choice of words.Just be more accurate and call her a bitch or Daniel's fav ****
The Voice of Reason speaks and I listen :club:
  • Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect anyone posting here to be offended by anything Merc says. I'm certainly not. ButIf anyone's not clear on why it would be offensive and can't really be used to refer to white chicks, maybe they should look into the meaning of the term uppity.

the real bias is the miniority aliance-- what the hell. It is fine if your minority status creates a bond and then you work together. It is offensive to me that you would just pick a person based on skin color without even determining whether they are a admirable person. That is the strict definition of racism. It is also very sad when the minority alliance is just based on skin color. The true minority on the show is the lady with one leg.

the real bias is the miniority aliance-- what the hell. It is fine if your minority status creates a bond and then you work together. It is offensive to me that you would just pick a person based on skin color without even determining whether they are a admirable person. That is the strict definition of racism. It is also very sad when the minority alliance is just based on skin color. The true minority on the show is the lady with one leg.
You may not realize this, but white people do it all the time. I don't think I've ever seen a white guy go up to another black guy first and ask to be aligned on Survivor.But I do agree with your last statement.
You may not realize this, but white people do it all the time...
Really?I must have missed the episode where the white guy said to another white guy: "Let's unite because I'm half white like you. I'd like to see a white guy make it to the end of this. And that other white guy will probably go with us."I do remember the episode where the gay guy had a crush on the cute but straight white guy who accepted the situation not because he was gay, but because he thought the friendship and alliance would be worth it.
I don't expect anyone posting here to be offended by anything Merc says. I'm certainly not. ButIf anyone's not clear on why it would be offensive and can't really be used to refer to white chicks, maybe they should look into the meaning of the term uppity.
Look, I'm not trying to stir it up here, but...I think you're being a little coy about this. You said I had no idea how offensive my comment is and then you indicate no one posting here is going to be offended, so I'm not sure why you bothered mentioning it in the first place. And, yes, it CAN be used for white women, homosexuals, small of stature people and anyone else who stands up for themselves, whether in an appropriate manner or not. I guess you could say that I am being uppity, too.The definition of "uppity" seems to have nothing to do with color and everything to do with attitude, usually a bad one. Perhaps my referencing only black women was exclusionist racism, so I'd like to expand it to all and sundry and include, say, Shannon, for his gratuitous gay comment and to anyone else on the show who has been a needlessly arrogant idiot. Or that dude from a season or two ago who called his tribe member (a black woman) "ghetto trash" during tribal. Now THAT is some racist shizz.
Really?I must have missed the episode where the white guy said to another white guy: "Let's unite because I'm half white like you. I'd like to see a white guy make it to the end of this. And that other white guy will probably go with us."I do remember the episode where the gay guy had a crush on the cute but straight white guy who accepted the situation not because he was gay, but because he thought the friendship and alliance would be worth it.
They don't have to say, "hey I'm white, you're white so let's align." It just happens. And honestly, I don't think you'd understand anyway. Why? Because honestly, if you're not a minority then you really don't know what it feels like.
You may not realize this, but white people do it all the time. I don't think I've ever seen a white guy go up to another black guy first and ask to be aligned on Survivor.But I do agree with your last statement.
Then you didn't see any season James was on, because everyone was trying to align with him.

See, I thought you didn't understand the meaning of the term uppity hence my statement, "I wonder if you have any idea how offensive this is." I wasn't saying I personally was offended. And yes, technically I guess you could use the word uppity when referring to women in a gender bias statement but that's not how the term originated. Or, maybe I don't know what the word means.

See, I thought you didn't understand the meaning of the term uppity hence my statement, "I wonder if you have any idea how offensive this is." I wasn't saying I personally was offended. And yes, technically I guess you could use the word uppity when referring to women in a gender bias statement but that's not how the term originated. Or, maybe I don't know what the word means.
I'm cool if you're cool.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uppity
Word used by racist old white Southerners to refer to any black person who looks them in the eye. Usually followed by ******."That uppity ****** is not working in the cotton field like he should be."
http://blacksnob.blogspot.com/2008/09/they...mas-uppity.html

Well, Urban Dictionary, fwiw, will pretty much approve any well-written definition of a word, so I'd take their application with a grain of salt. While it is probably true that "uppity" has been applied to more black women than anyone else, the fact is that is it not even gender-specific, let alone race specific. Here is an article printed in March, 2001:Uppity Women of the World Unite!Basically, it's being applied to any woman who does not adhere to the "paternalist order" of society. It's all about women doing important stuff and taking back the freedom to keep doing it and rightly so, imo. GO UPPITY WOMEN!!!

Mercury, just like GWCGWC is saying, I'm not offended at all. It is an offensive statement though however you explain it. Go to a group of strangers and make a statement about uppity black women. You will get weird looks and an awkward silence.I'm over it though, I was mainly just disagreeing with you thinking that all black women on the show are uppity. Not all the black woman contestants act like Ochena or whatever the F her name is. She is a bad representation, and although there is a stereotype there I don't think all the black women on the show have acted like her.

1. Can we get the list of which of us has which players in the OP... right now it's like on page 3 or somewhere.2. So many strange and hilarious lines this week. In his exit interview, Shannon: "I've been married 11 years, so you can add 11 years to my age...."3. I had no idea 'uppity' was a racist word. Having said that, I think CBS picks black women who fit that stereotype way more than they are represented in the general public. But maybe that's just my memory, because I've forgotten the boring ones.4. In only 2 weeks, there have been, what, like 8 meltdowns?5. I think NaOnka doesn't care if she wins, she is playing to become "a reality star".6. Fabio can't possibly be as dumb as they are portraying him, he wouldn't have made it past childhood without fatally injuring himself.

1. Can we get the list of which of us has which players in the OP... right now it's like on page 3 or somewhere.2. So many strange and hilarious lines this week. In his exit interview, Shannon: "I've been married 11 years, so you can add 11 years to my age...."3. I had no idea 'uppity' was a racist word. Having said that, I think CBS picks black women who fit that stereotype way more than they are represented in the general public. But maybe that's just my memory, because I've forgotten the boring ones.4. In only 2 weeks, there have been, what, like 8 meltdowns?5. I think NaOnka doesn't care if she wins, she is playing to become "a reality star".6. Fabio can't possibly be as dumb as they are portraying him, he wouldn't have made it past childhood without fatally injuring himself.
Yep that's now done thanks. I'll continue to update it per usual when people are voted out.