Option For U.s. Troops: Go To Christian Concert Or Be Punished

Haven't dropped in here for a while.

Sigh- I can't stress enough how dissapointing it is that soldiers would be such unabashed pussies. Just no other word for it, completely indefensible, and if I was them I would refrain from looking in a mirror for the rest of my living days, knowing that all I will see is a giant pink vagina.
You are, without a doubt, the most clueless person I've seen come through the religion forum, which says volumes about how unfortunate you are as a human being. To not understand why a religious event should not be mandatory in the U.S. military is to fail to understand even the basic principles behind what this country is supposed to be about. It's pretty sad, actually. Though I would have gone to the concert and just laughed the whole time. But that must be because I'm courageous.
But to grab this and act like the Christians are about to take over the military, pretty much an over-reaction because it is not going to happen.
About to take it over? They already run it. Which is fine, they just shouldn't use their power to try and push their religion on subordinates. I think you and I probably agree on that.
I think you missed my point. I don't have a problem with the military punishing people for not doing something compulsatory. I do have a problem with them making this event compulsatory. Like, I don't care that the punished people for not going, I care that they made them go in the first place, the punishment is kind of besides the point.
Right. Have compulsatory events. Have religious events. Just don't have compulsatory religious events. It's quite simple, and seems incredibly obvious.Well, this has been fun. See y'all in another few months.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't dropped in here for a while.You are, without a doubt, the most clueless person I've seen come through the religion forum, which says volumes about how unfortunate you are as a human being. To not understand why a religious event should not be mandatory in the U.S. military is to fail to understand even the basic principles behind what this country is supposed to be about. It's pretty sad, actually. Though I would have gone to the concert and just laughed the whole time. But that must be because I'm courageous.About to take it over? They already run it. Which is fine, they just shouldn't use their power to try and push their religion on subordinates. I think you and I probably agree on that.Right. Have compulsatory events. Have religious events. Just don't have compulsatory religious events. It's quite simple, and seems incredibly obvious.Well, this has been fun. See y'all in another few months.
We have different definitions of the word mandatory. For me, in the military when something is mandatory, there is no option B. You either do it or you will be court marshaled, thrown in jail, or you may not even be in the military anymore. This was clearly not the case here, so in my mind it was not mandatory. You had door A and B, just because door B was not as good as door A does not take away from the fact that 2 doors existed, not to mention if one was so dead set against door A then door B is a beacon of light.Considering the source, I'll just ignore the personal attacks.
You had door A and B, just because door B was not as good as door A does not take away from the fact that 2 doors existed, not to mention if one was so dead set against door A then door B is a beacon of light.
Why does it have to be dead set against it? Why can't it just be, "I'd kinda rather not do that"?
Define punishment.
A penalty for doing something.
Define something.
You jest, but this is my point. Door B is something. No penalty was levied, they said "Hey, Door A is a concert, Door B is maintenance work." The "punishment" in this case doesn't exist.
Why does it have to be dead set against it? Why can't it just be, "I'd kinda rather not do that"?A penalty for doing something.
No, my point in that is that if you hated Christianity so much that you could not stand the thought of hearing a word than maintenance work is just awesome in comparison, making Door B not a punishment at all, but a viable, logical choice based on your personality and convictions.

Would you all rather have a Christian with a gun defend you? Or an atheist?Might want to show you some pictures of atheists with guns:chinamilitary1.jpg000bcdb953f10a7f49e707.jpg

No, my point in that is that if you hated Christianity so much that you could not stand the thought of hearing a word than maintenance work is just awesome in comparison, making Door B not a punishment at all, but a viable, logical choice based on your personality and convictions.
Yeah, I get your point. But your point assumes that the only people that won't choose Door A are people who really, really hate Christianity. What if someone is just a little bit uneasy with it? Are they being punished if they decide not to go?And just because one option is less unpleasant to you doesn't mean it's not a punishment.
Yeah, I get your point. But your point assumes that the only people that won't choose Door A are people who really, really hate Christianity. What if someone is just a little bit uneasy with it? Are they being punished if they decide not to go?And just because one option is less unpleasant to you doesn't mean it's not a punishment.
It's not a punishment. It's an option, which only exists because your current master- which is what the military is- was good enough to give you another choice. I think you are really not understanding how choice works. Think about this situation, and the pride that must have been felt by those who are not into the Christianity thing, how they were faced with a choice in that situation and they stood up for what the believed in, talk about character building! This whole thing is just beautiful, until one of them decided to whine about how he wished he was given a better second choice. THAT dude should actually be punished.

"Alright everyone, listen up. We're all going to the auditorium now. Once inside, we will lock all of you in and blow that sucker up. Doubt anything will be left.""What the fuck? I'm not going there.""That's ok, we anticipated that some of you might not want to die a fiery death. That's why we're giving you a choice, as the benevolent masters that we are. You have the option of returning to your rooms where somebody will be waiting for you to break both of your arms. Maaaaybe a kick in the nuts.""Sweet."

It's not a punishment. It's an option, which only exists because your current master- which is what the military is- was good enough to give you another choice. I think you are really not understanding how choice works. Think about this situation, and the pride that must have been felt by those who are not into the Christianity thing, how they were faced with a choice in that situation and they stood up for what the believed in, talk about character building! This whole thing is just beautiful, until one of them decided to whine about how he wished he was given a better second choice. THAT dude should actually be punished.
where were you educated?
"Alright everyone, listen up. We're all going to the auditorium now. Once inside, we will lock all of you in and blow that sucker up. Doubt anything will be left.""What the fuck? I'm not going there.""That's ok, we anticipated that some of you might not want to die a fiery death. That's why we're giving you a choice, as the benevolent masters that we are. You have the option of returning to your rooms where somebody will be waiting for you to break both of your arms. Maaaaybe a kick in the nuts.""Sweet."
Once again, I get that you are joking, but often death option 1 or death option 2 is a very real choice in the military.Forgive me, but it's like most of you have no clue at all as to what it means to not have any control over your own life, or at least not much control. Quick question, if one were to say no to orders to go to Iraq based on the fact that one could not stand being on the same soil as those heathen brown people because of ones Religion, what do you think would happen to that person?
where were you educated?
Many places, every day is educating when you can open your mind. Like, when maybe you can like, not immediately sit inside your "Christianity bad" box or "Islam bad" box and, like, think outside of it. It's amazing the lines of thought you can take when you can let go of your hatred.
Quick question, if one were to say no to orders to go to Iraq based on the fact that one could not stand being on the same soil as those heathen brown people because of ones Religion, what do you think would happen to that person?
its like you have no idea how ridiculous that analogy is. like none at all. its almost as if you are completely ignorant concerning.....everything related to this subject.
Many places, every day is educating when you can open your mind. Like, when maybe you can like, not immediately sit inside your "Christianity bad" box or "Islam bad" box and, like, think outside of it. It's amazing the lines of thought you can take when you can let go of your hatred.
so thats a no on college? did you finish high school?
You jest, but this is my point. Door B is something. No penalty was levied, they said "Hey, Door A is a concert, Door B is maintenance work." The "punishment" in this case doesn't exist.
Does it matter to you if the maintenance work was intended as a punishment in order to compel the soldiers to choose the concert?
We have different definitions of the word mandatory. For me, in the military when something is mandatory, there is no option B. You either do it or you will be court marshaled, thrown in jail, or you may not even be in the military anymore. This was clearly not the case here, so in my mind it was not mandatory. You had door A and B, just because door B was not as good as door A does not take away from the fact that 2 doors existed, not to mention if one was so dead set against door A then door B is a beacon of light.
The situation you described is not mandatory either. You can choose to follow your orders or go to prison. It's a choice. The only difference between the two scenarios is the severity of the punishment. How severe does a punishment have to be before you consider something "mandatory"?
so thats a no on college? did you finish high school?
I've enjoyed talking to everyone in this thread, except you. Everyone else has made comments and brought lines of thought that are interesting to me, and looking at this from different angles has been enjoyable. You could, if you wanted, try and actually converse but as long as you take this douchey line I'm just going to ignore you like you deserve. Think of me as telling you to suck a dick without actually tell you to do so, as it's not constructive in any real way. But, yeah, suck a dick, son.
Quick question, if one were to say no to orders to go to Iraq based on the fact that one could not stand being on the same soil as those heathen brown people because of ones Religion, what do you think would happen to that person?
Those orders are relevant to the mission. The other orders are not.I would predict in either situation that there would be a punishment. Rational people are questioning why the inappropriate requirements were made in the first place.
Those orders are relevant to the mission. The other orders are not.I would predict in either situation that there would be a punishment. Rational people are questioning why the inappropriate requirements were made in the first place.
I would argue that both are relative to the overall mission. No matter what door you choose a lesson is most likely learned and character/strength is built. Anybody who is cool with something with a religious twist slakes their thirst, while those with a desire to show that they don't get behind that shit get to flex muscles as well. I just find it interesting- let me draw you a picture. When I was a kid my dad would not let me go to Sex Ed. This did not sit well with the school, so they told my dad if I was not allowed to attend they would make me sit in a classroom by myself with a few other outliers and do extra homework. Of course dad forced me to choose door number two and at the end of the day I was fine. It was not a big deal. I learned some other stuff and Dad got to stick by his guns. It''s just plain, simple, sacrificing for what you believe, which used to be considered a good thing but now we are so coddled that the OP articles complaint is actually being heard as if he has been hurt in some real way, and he hasn't. He is just a victim of his own mind where he has brought himself to believe that not only should he be able to believe what he wants, but he also should never have to have those beliefs shaken or challenged. No sacrifice, no work, it just is and no one should ever make him earn it.
I've enjoyed talking to everyone in this thread, except you. Everyone else has made comments and brought lines of thought that are interesting to me, and looking at this from different angles has been enjoyable. You could, if you wanted, try and actually converse but as long as you take this douchey line I'm just going to ignore you like you deserve. Think of me as telling you to suck a dick without actually tell you to do so, as it's not constructive in any real way. But, yeah, suck a dick, son.
Pardon me for inquiring. But your comments in here reek of an uneducated, brainwashed simpleton. And the story about your Dad not wanting you to be present during Sexual Education explains a lot.
Pardon me for inquiring. But your comments in here reek of an uneducated, brainwashed simpleton. And the story about your Dad not wanting you to be present during Sexual Education explains a lot.
Story was made up. Just painting a picture for the people that are actually talking about this issue. Like I said, this has been a fun conversation but I don't think any more can really be said, unless you just want to sling insults for awhile. That will be all you, just not into it these days. Waste of my time.