Option For U.s. Troops: Go To Christian Concert Or Be Punished

Option for U.S. Troops: Go to Christian Concert or Be PunishedIf you want any proof that non-Christians are discriminated against in the military, Chris Rodda has an incredible story to share.First, some background:For the past several years, two U.S. Army posts in Virginia, Fort Eustis and Fort Lee, have been putting on a series of what are called Commanding General’s Spiritual Fitness Concerts… These are (not surprisingly) concerts featuring Christian bands. But at least they’re not mandatory, right?Well… there’s the problem.According to one of the 80 soldiers who didn’t want to attend the concert:We started marching to the theater. At that point two Muslim soldiers fell out of formation on their own. Student leadership tried to convince them to fall back in and that a choice will be presented to us once we reach the theater.…Those of us that chose not to attend (about 80, or a little less that half) were marched back to the company area. At that point the NCO issued us a punishment. We were to be on lock-down in the company (not released from duty), could not go anywhere on post (no PX, no library, etc). We were to go to strictly to the barracks and contact maintenance. If we were caught sitting in our rooms, in our beds, or having/handling electronics (cell phones, laptops, games) and doing anything other than maintenance, we would further have our weekend passes revoked and continue barracks maintenance for the entirety of the weekend. At that point the implied message was clear in my mind “we gave you a choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us. Since you chose to disappoint us you will now have your freedoms suspended and contact chores while the rest of your buddies are enjoying a concert.” So, if you don’t want to be punished, you go to the show. It’s not technically forced, but the alternative is unequivocally horrible, and the punishment is directed to anyone who doesn’t want to hear the Christian proselytizing. That’s not the only issue here. Rodda also points out the cost of these events — your tax money pays for these concerts and they don’t come cheap:These concerts aren’t just small events with local Christian bands. We’re talking about the top, nationally-known, award-winning Christian artists, with headline acts costing anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000, and even many of the opening acts being in the $10,000 range.The cost of these concerts led [the Military Religious Freedom Foundation's] research department to start looking at some of the DoD contracts for other “spiritual fitness” events and programs, and what we found was astounding. One contract, for example, awarded to an outside consulting firm to provide “spiritual fitness” services, was for $3.5 million. If they’re trimming the Defense budget, here’s an easy place to start. There’s no reason our money should be used to promote Christianity and punish those who don’t want to hear it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Option for U.S. Troops: Go to Christian Concert or Be PunishedIf you want any proof that non-Christians are discriminated against in the military, Chris Rodda has an incredible story to share.First, some background:For the past several years, two U.S. Army posts in Virginia, Fort Eustis and Fort Lee, have been putting on a series of what are called Commanding General’s Spiritual Fitness Concerts… These are (not surprisingly) concerts featuring Christian bands. But at least they’re not mandatory, right?Well… there’s the problem.According to one of the 80 soldiers who didn’t want to attend the concert:We started marching to the theater. At that point two Muslim soldiers fell out of formation on their own. Student leadership tried to convince them to fall back in and that a choice will be presented to us once we reach the theater.…Those of us that chose not to attend (about 80, or a little less that half) were marched back to the company area. At that point the NCO issued us a punishment. We were to be on lock-down in the company (not released from duty), could not go anywhere on post (no PX, no library, etc). We were to go to strictly to the barracks and contact maintenance. If we were caught sitting in our rooms, in our beds, or having/handling electronics (cell phones, laptops, games) and doing anything other than maintenance, we would further have our weekend passes revoked and continue barracks maintenance for the entirety of the weekend. At that point the implied message was clear in my mind “we gave you a choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us. Since you chose to disappoint us you will now have your freedoms suspended and contact chores while the rest of your buddies are enjoying a concert.” So, if you don’t want to be punished, you go to the show. It’s not technically forced, but the alternative is unequivocally horrible, and the punishment is directed to anyone who doesn’t want to hear the Christian proselytizing. That’s not the only issue here. Rodda also points out the cost of these events — your tax money pays for these concerts and they don’t come cheap:These concerts aren’t just small events with local Christian bands. We’re talking about the top, nationally-known, award-winning Christian artists, with headline acts costing anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000, and even many of the opening acts being in the $10,000 range.The cost of these concerts led [the Military Religious Freedom Foundation's] research department to start looking at some of the DoD contracts for other “spiritual fitness” events and programs, and what we found was astounding. One contract, for example, awarded to an outside consulting firm to provide “spiritual fitness” services, was for $3.5 million. If they’re trimming the Defense budget, here’s an easy place to start. There’s no reason our money should be used to promote Christianity and punish those who don’t want to hear it.
What if it was some shitty band like Staind? Would this be an issue then? It's pretty simple- Army says we want you to do X as a cohesive unit. Instead of making you do it, if you are such an outright pussy that you must have an alternative because Michael W. Smith is such a horrifying evening, well, then, because you are a complete baby who can't manage to ignore someone talk and sing for two hours, you get to do Y instead. And, Y will suck as bad as you think Smith will. Lesson? Sometimes we do shit we don't want to do when we sign our life and minds away for a few years. A secondary lesson would be, in all things in life, try and not be a completely banged out pussy. Whatever choices you make, deal with them. As a side note, is this really what we have come too? If so we are sunk, just doomed. Not only did some soldiers complain about such horrific treatment, someone wrote about it in an article and now someone is of his own volition posted in a whole other forum about it like these soldiers feelings are somehow noteworthy,like they are not actually property of the U.S.A. Seriously, absolutely effed.As a second side note, sometimes, when fighting for a Christian nation which is under a christian God, sometimes Christian type stuff happens. Buy some earplugs, and sit down. Take them out for "Place in this world" it's a good song, with a message that can be translated to *GASP* non-religious type things.
Lesson? Sometimes we do shit we don't want to do when we sign our life and minds away for a few years. A secondary lesson would be, in all things in life, try and not be a completely banged out pussy. Whatever choices you make, deal with them.
The lesson should be that Muslim soldiers are crucial to our success in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we don't have nearly enough of them. We should try to accomodate those that we do have. Also, at least borderline and most likely a flagrant separation of church and state issue.
As a second side note, sometimes, when fighting for a Christian nation which is under a christian God, sometimes Christian type stuff happens.
No matter how much you may say or think it, this is not a Christian nation. There is a difference between a nation where the majority of people are Christian and a Christian nation. That difference is, for example, the first amendment.
Take them out for "Place in this world" it's a good song, with a message that can be translated to *GASP* non-religious type things.
Head assplode.
The lesson should be that Muslim soldiers are crucial to our success in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we don't have nearly enough of them. We should try to accomodate those that we do have. Also, at least borderline and most likely a flagrant separation of church and state issue.No matter how much you may say or think it, this is not a Christian nation. There is a difference between a nation where the majority of people are Christian and a Christian nation. That difference is, for example, the first amendment.
Head assplode.
Out of curiosity, when a soldier swears himself in, who does he swear to? God and country? Right?As far as accommodate, sure. On the flip side, should we not expect the same? Like, if you get to build a Mosque near ground zero amongst protest shouldn't you at least sit through a damn concert? Seriously, it's not asking much. I have sat through Alanis Morrisette multiple times, it was pure torture, but I like to get laid, so I man up.And, it's really not a bad song, but better than his music is his hair, especially in the 90's, highlights are the shit.
Out of curiosity, when a soldier swears himself in, who does he swear to? God and country? Right?
But "God" doesn't mean "Christian God" or Jesus. If you're a Muslum, God means Allah, if you're Jewish, it means Yahweh, if you're Norse, it means Odin, etc.
And, it's really not a bad song, but better than his music is his hair, especially in the 90's, highlights are the shit.
Okay, I'll give you that one.
But "God" doesn't mean "Christian God" or Jesus. If you're a Muslum, God means Allah, if you're Jewish, it means Yahweh, if you're Norse, it means Odin, etc.Okay, I'll give you that one.
Sure. God means many things. No one is saying you have to, say, convert or we will chop your head off. They are saying, enjoy some music. Or don't, I don't care. Either way sit down, if not, you will do dishes or whatever maintenance work they were apparently assigned.I just can't imagine that I would be that up in arms about something so trivial. I went to this Motivational thing awhile back, Zig Zigler whatever the guys name is that hosts them, and there was definitely a christian theme here and there, even though it was work focused. I had paid to take everyone at work to go, and I felt bad for those who were offended by those parts. Now, they weren't overly offended, just more like annoyed. But, anyone with a brain can listen to Kurt Warner or Laura Bush and gather something motivational after ignoring the faith based stuff, easily. That's what I had my team focus on, the stuff that made sense to them that they could apply at work, and everyone took away something.The whole point is working together and sometimes accepting that which is different, within reason. I don't see this situation as unreasonable at all.
I just can't imagine that I would be that up in arms about something so trivial.
As a Christian, if you joined the army in an Islamic country, would you quietly turn toward Mecca, bow down, and pray Christian prayers during the traditional Islamic prayer times? Would you criticize your Christian peers for standing erect during the prayers?
Out of curiosity, when a soldier swears himself in, who does he swear to? God and country? Right?
This is the oath of enlistment: I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.The "So help me God" part is not mandatory: http://www.maaf.info/faq.htmlDo I have to say "So Help Me God" during my enlistment oath?No. It's a common question, although between the officer giving the oath, the reenlistment NCO, and the EO Rep, someone will recognize that it's illegal and unethical to force someone to swear to god if they don't want to. If necessary, point them at AR 601-280 "The Army Retention Program," Appendix D Paragraph 2k, which states specifically that the reenlisting soldier need not swear to god. Or to USC 512 Title 28 (Revision June 25, 1948 ch. 646, 62 Stat. 925) which clarifies that an oath of affirmation excludes the 'so help me god' portion. Air Force should refer to AFI 36-2606 (Ch.3, 2. "Detailed Instructions for Completing the DD Forms 4/1 and 4/2", Table 3.9, Item Number 15 - Confirmation of (Re)enlistment Oath).

In the military your constitutional rights are not the same as a civilians constitutional rights.Sweet Dee nailed this one.And Michael W. Smith has some really good songs, with Secret Ambition being one of his best.

In the military your constitutional rights are not the same as a civilians constitutional rights.
what?you're saying it's ok for them to be forced to go to a christian event?We also must remember that this takes place as part of a pattern of discrimination against non-christians in the military. It's actually quite a problem.
In the military your constitutional rights are not the same as a civilians constitutional rights.Sweet Dee nailed this one.And Michael W. Smith has some really good songs, with Secret Ambition being one of his best.
I guess in BG world:nailed it = said stuff I agree with that has no basis in reality.If they made every US soldier go to an Islamic concert and listen to pro-Islam songs, you and sweet dee would be the first people to flip their shit and wonder how Obama was responsible somehow. It's so easy to say "why don't you just go listen to something you don't believe for two hours" when the concerts are only catered to your cup of tea. If this was a 30 second prayer or a quick service, I could get behind just sitting there and gritting it out but not for a series of two hour evangelical infomercials.It's a complete joke and eventually the military will get sued, the ACLU will take up the cause, and everyone will lose because it will get super ugly.
So, if you don’t want to be punished, you go to the show. It’s not technically forced, but the alternative is unequivocally horrible, and the punishment is directed to anyone who doesn’t want to hear the Christian proselytizing. These concerts aren’t just small events with local Christian bands. We’re talking about the top, nationally-known, award-winning Christian artists, with headline acts costing anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000, and even many of the opening acts being in the $10,000 range.If they’re trimming the Defense budget, here’s an easy place to start. There’s no reason our money should be used to promote Christianity and punish those who don’t want to hear it.
There are so many similarities between Islam & Christianity, why not sit out one concert & focus on the similarities between your faith and theirs instead of the differences, nobody is forcing you to become a Christian. I think tolerance is something every single religion and group can use a whole lot more of.I think spiritual fitness is a concept that can be ridiculed easily, but it's of basic importance to everyone & to the military aswell. I don't think Christianity is the only way "spiritual fitness" can be obtained, but if you put a Zen Buddhist up on that stage to give a lecture about the oneness of the universe & the fact that there are no friends or enemies, soldiers might be inclined to stop fighting. I think if you wanna trim down the Defense budget, you could obviously hire cheaper artists who can do a similar job, but I wouldn't cut out the concept alltogether. Even though it might be hard to prove effectivity in a very obvious way, I think spirituality is essential when you are in a war or about to go to a war.

Kinda hard to reconcile the stance on this with the right's collective shit fit when Obama (gasp) made a speech to kids in schools!Giving a hard two hour sales pitch about evangelical christianity to promote "spiritual fitness" is ok. A 30 minute speech by the POTUS to American school children = indoctrination. :club:

More of a Carman man myself. That "One", it's knockout.
Also, if anyone is disturbed by this revelation, and wants to be disturbed some more, I highly recommend the book "The Family- The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"http://www.amazon.com/Family-Secret-Fundam...n/dp/0060559799
Looks pretty interesting, though I am kinda done with chasing down conspiracy theories. I used to be a fan of David Icke, minus his reptillian theory, but I think that it's often impossible to tell what is really true and what is not, just look at Socrates' statement in your signature "We are only wise in that we know nothing". Besides, a group having secret rituals which involve presidents usually bares very small revelance to your own personal life, and knowing it won't make you happier either. Also being aware of all the cults, groups, freemasons etc. could be significant if it were not for 99% of the population not giving a shit or not understanding the meaning of it. All of the power all these historical globally influential groups have come from the unaware mass, who they can control & predict. In other words, as long as the majority of the people are oblivious to the way they are being manipulated & dictated to, nothing will change. If you're not carefull you might even end up scared & paranoid of everyone you encounter and everyone you think might be manipulating you, or you might end up running away & isolating yourself (which is always a big set-up for misery, if you watched "Into The Wild" you know that) from all those mean people trying to hurt you and each other. That's a worst-case scenario, but I've seen it happening.
Looks pretty interesting, though I am kinda done with chasing down conspiracy theories. I used to be a fan of David Icke, minus his reptillian theory, but I think that it's often impossible to tell what is really true and what is not, just look at Socrates' statement in your signature "We are only wise in that we know nothing". Besides, a group having secret rituals which involve presidents usually bares very small revelance to your own personal life, and knowing it won't make you happier either. Also being aware of all the cults, groups, freemasons etc. could be significant if it were not for 99% of the population not giving a shit or not understanding the meaning of it. All of the power all these historical globally influential groups have come from the unaware mass, who they can control & predict. In other words, as long as the majority of the people are oblivious to the way they are being manipulated & dictated to, nothing will change. If you're not carefull you might even end up scared & paranoid of everyone you encounter and everyone you think might be manipulating you, or you might end up running away & isolating yourself (which is always a big set-up for misery, if you watched "Into The Wild" you know that) from all those mean people trying to hurt you and each other. That's a worst-case scenario, but I've seen it happening.
yeah, it's not really a conspiracy theory book. The book title is more ominously conspiratorial than the actual work. It's more like reporting on a religious lobbying group, which is what the family is.
This story doesnt pass the smell test. As A former military guy I know that unless you are in boot camp, these type of coerced activities just dont happen. But believe what you want.
As a Christian, if you joined the army in an Islamic country, would you quietly turn toward Mecca, bow down, and pray Christian prayers during the traditional Islamic prayer times? Would you criticize your Christian peers for standing erect during the prayers?
No, I would not.That being said, if a Muslim buddy and I went to church I wouldn't excpect him to pray, or even bow his head. Just be respectful is all. So, while I would not bow to Mecca I would also not throw a hissy fit and have to leave the room, and if they invited me to a concert with a Muslim slant I would go. Why not? What's the worse that could possibly happen? I relax for a few hours and hear some new stuff. This just plays into the usual Mantra- Christianity bad and intolerable, everything else should be tolerated because, well, Christianity says you should, better be tolerable Christians Ha Ha! Its a boring game at best.I mean, this is a concert we are talking about, with some speakers most likely and we have guy/guys in here talking about how this is just another example of the military discriminating against other Religions, meanwhile this activity wasn't even required. Nobody was discriminated against, at all, and something that should be considered is, the more you work to make Christianity the bad guy, the more you will alienate and make "christians" not want to have anything to do with your compromises. (NY Mosque ring a bell?) You consistently draw line in the sand for your side, why would they not do the same? Imagine being one of the soldiers that went to the concert, what are you thinking? Are you wondering if these guys hate you so much that in combat they would choose someone else to save even though you would be the logical tactical choice? Are you wondering why it is that they have no bend, no room for compromise but you must look the other way when one of them opens fire in a military cafeteria? A little workability goes a long way when it comes to maintaining relationships, this isn't that hard of a concept.
No, I would not.That being said, if a Muslim buddy and I went to church I wouldn't excpect him to pray, or even bow his head. Just be respectful is all. So, while I would not bow to Mecca I would also not throw a hissy fit and have to leave the room, and if they invited me to a concert with a Muslim slant I would go. Why not? What's the worse that could possibly happen? I relax for a few hours and hear some new stuff.
That's a totally different situation. The problem here is that they are being compelled to attend by the government.
I mean, this is a concert we are talking about, with some speakers most likely and we have guy/guys in here talking about how this is just another example of the military discriminating against other Religions, meanwhile this activity wasn't even required.
It was required, and those who did not attend were punished. Did you not read the OP?
That's a totally different situation. The problem here is that they are being compelled to attend by the government. It was required, and those who did not attend were punished. Did you not read the OP?
I did- it was set up, an activity, to do as a group. If you did not want to you could do something else. The thing is, in the military, you are not your own. You do no longer are your own property, you do as the military says. So, for the military to even offer another choice is huge, a compromise if you will. And, once again, I want to stress the idea that in the military you are no longer an individual. You are a unit. There is absolutely no reason why those within the unit could not sit through a freaking concert. This is so trivial its sickening, and with any luck some pussies got beat down with soap in a sock that night.
I did- it was set up, an activity, to do as a group. If you did not want to you could do something else.
Whaaat? They were punished for choosing not to attend:Those of us that chose not to attend (about 80, or a little less that half) were marched back to the company area. At that point the NCO issued us a punishment. We were to be on lock-down in the company (not released from duty), could not go anywhere on post (no PX, no library, etc). We were to go to strictly to the barracks and contact maintenance. If we were caught sitting in our rooms, in our beds, or having/handling electronics (cell phones, laptops, games) and doing anything other than maintenance, we would further have our weekend passes revoked and continue barracks maintenance for the entirety of the weekend. At that point the implied message was clear in my mind “we gave you a choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us. Since you chose to disappoint us you will now have your freedoms suspended and contact chores while the rest of your buddies are enjoying a concert.”
The thing is, in the military, you are not your own. You do no longer are your own property, you do as the military says. So, for the military to even offer another choice is huge, a compromise if you will.
Not if the choice is between their religion and a punishment. It is the very fact that they can compel you to do things that puts them in a position of great responsibility not to use that power for unwarranted purposes (like religious indoctrination.)
And, once again, I want to stress the idea that in the military you are no longer an individual. You are a unit. There is absolutely no reason why those within the unit could not sit through a freaking concert. This is so trivial its sickening, and with any luck some pussies got beat down with soap in a sock that night.
There is absolutely no reason a solider should have to sit through a freakin concert. It is only trivial to you because you are Christian. If you were compelled to go to a muslim-indoctrination-by-music session by your commanding officer you might feel differently. That military is mine as much as it is yours. The commanding officers are servants of us, the people. We pay their salaries. They cannot use their command to promote their religion to the soldiers we entrust them with. It's a fairly straightforward violation of the separation of church and state.
It is the very fact that they can compel you to do things that puts them in a position of great responsibility not to use that power for unwarranted purposes (like religious indoctrination.)
Religious indoctrination? Really? Are you aware of all the similarities between Islam & Christianity? Sitting out a concert about the Lords love & help in war, and just translating it to Allah's love & help in war isn't much of an effort. And it's not like like a Michael W. Smith concert is a total brainwash aimed to crush the puny muslim minds. And as mentioned before, you are subject of the military, so if you refuse to listen you should suffer the consequences. If you join the Iraqi military and refuse to join a worship ceremony of Allah I don't think you will get a similar treatment as the muslims mentioned in the OP.
Whaaat? They were punished for choosing not to attend:Those of us that chose not to attend (about 80, or a little less that half) were marched back to the company area. At that point the NCO issued us a punishment. We were to be on lock-down in the company (not released from duty), could not go anywhere on post (no PX, no library, etc). We were to go to strictly to the barracks and contact maintenance. If we were caught sitting in our rooms, in our beds, or having/handling electronics (cell phones, laptops, games) and doing anything other than maintenance, we would further have our weekend passes revoked and continue barracks maintenance for the entirety of the weekend. At that point the implied message was clear in my mind “we gave you a choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us. Since you chose to disappoint us you will now have your freedoms suspended and contact chores while the rest of your buddies are enjoying a concert.” Not if the choice is between their religion and a punishment. It is the very fact that they can compel you to do things that puts them in a position of great responsibility not to use that power for unwarranted purposes (like religious indoctrination.) There is absolutely no reason a solider should have to sit through a freakin concert. It is only trivial to you because you are Christian. If you were compelled to go to a muslim-indoctrination-by-music session by your commanding officer you might feel differently. That military is mine as much as it is yours. The commanding officers are servants of us, the people. We pay their salaries. They cannot use their command to promote their religion to the soldiers we entrust them with. It's a fairly straightforward violation of the separation of church and state.
I will say it again- if it was a Muslim event set up I would expect those that were not Muslims to go and be a team player. I have been to multiple organizations religous functions, met all kinds of people, and did not agree one bit with what I heard or saw. But,it was still interesting, I got to know people a bit better, reached across the aisle if you will, all good things. Some of you act as if listening to someone talk about Christ is some sort of poison, like it can enter your bloodstream and once you hear it you are doomed to follow, it's just a total position of fear. Maybe, instead of being afraid, a little perspective is called for.As far as punished, once again, its the military. They did not have to offer another choice. They could have just said "you are going here." They did not do that,they offered an alternative. Was it a fun one, with cotton candy and clowns? No. Why is that? Well, you are dealing with people who are such babies that they can't manage to jst be civil at a damn concert. Eff em, make em work. I have absolutely no issue with this, and I would expect any Christian to be treated the same if he could not find it in his heart to show the same courtesy.