Featured Member - August

Congrats Marcel!!From your bio:..."I hooked up with Phil (Highwaystar) and Jeff (outsider13), and briefly met Adam (Fargo), Mark (NoSup4U), Frank (Seacucumber), Justin (Fluffdog), Mike (NNB) and quite a few others.""Hooked up" - I do not think it means what you think it means.inigo.jpg

Congrats Marcel!!From your bio:..."I hooked up with Phil (Highwaystar) and Jeff (outsider13), and briefly met Adam (Fargo), Mark (NoSup4U), Frank (Seacucumber), Justin (Fluffdog), Mike (NNB) and quite a few others.""Hooked up" - I do not think it means what you think it means.
oh i think it does
oh i think it does
agree
.."I hooked up with Phil (Highwaystar) and Jeff (outsider13), and briefly met Adam (Fargo), Mark (NoSup4U), Frank (Seacucumber), Justin (Fluffdog), Mike (NNB) and quite a few others."

Congrats! Continued success. Player of the year is going to be an interesting but delightful dilemma to have. It would be nice (if the player agrees to it) to have a "well" for the month they are player of the month. Just a thought. How have your friends/family/poker buddies reacted to you winning the bracelet?

Yeah, Marcel, definitely was awesome meeting you and talking about life, poker, and just everything that last night int he house. Couldn't of happened to a better guy!

Yeah, Marcel, definitely was awesome meeting you and talking about life, poker, and just everything that last night int he house. Couldn't of happened to a better guy!
i dont remember much of this night! :club: fucking jager!
It would be nice (if the player agrees to it) to have a "well" for the month they are player of the month.
I wouldn't mind doing this, though I'm not sure how much interesting stuff I have to say. But anyway, people can just ask their questions in this thread, and I'll try to answer the ones that I think I have something semi-interesting to say about, and that are not about me hooking up with Phil and Jeff. :club:
How have your friends/family/poker buddies reacted to you winning the bracelet?
My girlfriend and some of my poker buddies were there when I won, so I guess you can imagine the outburst when my A3 held up to win all the chips.As for my parents/brother/parents-in-law, it took a while for them to really realize that I won a boatload of money. (They don't really understand the "winning a bracelet" part.) Most friends are very enthusiastic, and usually follow up the "wow, congratulations!!!" with the standard "so you're buying the drinks, right?".I guess the most unexpected reactions came from my colleagues. I wasn't really planning to tell them (other than those I consider direct friends), since some of them provide jobs for postdocs like me, and I guessed that not all of them would consider "hey, I spend a lot of time playing poker" the best kind of job application.However, one of my colleagues from Amsterdam is apparently a poker fan, and he opened a big conference the morning after my final table by announcing that I had won a bracelet. So so much for keeping it quiet... Wherever I go now, my fellow physicists almost invariably have heard about the result and congratulate me with it. What is most surprising to me in their reactions is that almost every one of them either realizes that poker has a big skill component, or asks if that is the case. So who knows, the fact that a lot of people now know my name and have heard of this achievement (and consider it to be one) may actually work in my favor the next time I send out job applications. :ts
However, one of my colleagues from Amsterdam is apparently a poker fan, and he opened a big conference the morning after my final table by announcing that I had won a bracelet. So so much for keeping it quiet... Wherever I go now, my fellow physicists almost invariably have heard about the result and congratulate me with it. What is most surprising to me in their reactions is that almost every one of them either realizes that poker has a big skill component, or asks if that is the case. So who knows, the fact that a lot of people now know my name and have heard of this achievement (and consider it to be one) may actually work in my favor the next time I send out job applications. :club:
You can certainly give back to the poker community as a whole by reinforcing the fact that poker is a skill game. Having minions of physicists in our corner (intelligently) defending our skill argument can only be good. Besides, it might be a fun way to introduce students to quantum mechanics (the river card is all possible outcomes unless/until it is actually dealt).
You can certainly give back to the poker community as a whole by reinforcing the fact that poker is a skill game. Having minions of physicists in our corner (intelligently) defending our skill argument can only be good. Besides, it might be a fun way to introduce students to quantum mechanics (the river card is all possible outcomes unless/until it is actually dealt).
Funny coincidence: today I received an e-mail from a reporter who is writing a story about poker playing physicists. She is going to interview Michael Binger and me (and possibly some other poker-playing physicists) and write a story for Discover Magazine. I'm not sure what her angle is, but it will definitely be a good opportunity to point out the skill game side of poker.
  • 3 weeks later...