Hey croc, how's life ? I fixed the link so that it works.It appears that the question is whether poker is a game of skill or not. If the courts rule it's not a game of skill then the poker rooms are breaking the law but if poker is a game of skill they aren't breaking the law.A court in Pennsylvania ruled that poker is more a game of chance than skill.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/8811-...ia-court-claims

Adding on to what Bob said ... I had to do a bunch of legal research for my bar poker league just to make sure I had all my bases covered by giving away prizes, money, trips, etc.There was an official TN Attorney's General opinion (No 05-159, 2005) that stated this:The fundamental nature of such games (poker and blackjack) is chance - A player's skill, no matter how good or bad, does not and cannot control the randomness inherent in the 'deal' of the cards. Stated another way, the skill of the player may increase the player's odds of winning but ultimately the player's skill cannot determine the outcome, regardless of the degree of skill involved. Chance, being the nature of the determining factor of the game, dominates over skill.

Hey croc, how's life ? I fixed the link so that it works.It appears that the question is whether poker is a game of skill or not. If the courts rule it's not a game of skill then the poker rooms are breaking the law but if poker is a game of skill they aren't breaking the law.A court in Pennsylvania ruled that poker is more a game of chance than skill.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/8811-...ia-court-claims
Bob life is great! I hope everything is good with you. Yep thats basically what it comes down to. for the longest time the prosecutor basically said he wasnt going to prosecute because he thought he would have problems with proving the case. that was even after all the other surrounding cities commonwealth attorneys said it was illegal and even the City Attorney from portsmouth said it was illegal. Not really sure what changed his mind but it changed. I think it might have to do with how many have popped up in the last year and how much money is going in and out not being regulated, these halls have bad beat jackpots that get up over 30k. But we will see what happens.It might also be a way for the Commonwealth Attorney to force the issue in resolving the ambigious law. he has been asking to have it fixed for the last three years with no response so this might be his way of getting one.
Adding on to what Bob said ... I had to do a bunch of legal research for my bar poker league just to make sure I had all my bases covered by giving away prizes, money, trips, etc.There was an official TN Attorney's General opinion (No 05-159, 2005) that stated this:The fundamental nature of such games (poker and blackjack) is chance - A player's skill, no matter how good or bad, does not and cannot control the randomness inherent in the 'deal' of the cards. Stated another way, the skill of the player may increase the player's odds of winning but ultimately the player's skill cannot determine the outcome, regardless of the degree of skill involved. Chance, being the nature of the determining factor of the game, dominates over skill.
see the definitions used by the TN AG and most courts is what hurts poker. They will not look at long term results. the only thing that matters is the results of one hand, or one bet. if you look at just one hand or one bet poker unfortunately is always going to be deemed a game of chance because like they say you cannot control the outcome of any one hand. The only way to make it a game of skill is to convince them to look at the game long term and it seems that most are not willing to do that.
see the definitions used by the TN AG and most courts is what hurts poker. They will not look at long term results. the only thing that matters is the results of one hand, or one bet. so it will most likely be deemed a game of chance because like they say you cannot control the outcome of any one hand thus making it a game of chance. The only way to make it a game of skill is to convince them to look at the game long term and it seems that most are not willing to do that.
I say we just make all the courts watch Rounders"Why does this still seem like gambling to you? I mean, why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY SINGLE YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas? It's a skill game, Jo."
I say we just make all the courts watch Rounders"Why does this still seem like gambling to you? I mean, why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY SINGLE YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas? It's a skill game, Jo."
That line is getting really bad these days...They can counter and say"Poker is so lucky , the same guys never make the final table again"
That line is getting really bad these days...They can counter and say"Poker is so lucky , the same guys never make the final table again"
Your honor, I object!And why is that?Because it's devastating to my case!Overruled.Good call!
  • 1 month later...