ok, i'm pretty sure i know what i did wrong in this hand...it was pure bet sizing...i'll basically tell you how the hand played out, and what i think i should have done...i'd appreciate any thoughts...hero is in bb with a/k diamondsutg foldsutg + 1 calls $5 (stack covers, but only slightly)mp foldsmp + 1 calls $5mp + 2 foldshijack foldscutoff foldsbutton foldssb calls $3hero raises to $35 (stack is 330 - no auto top off, sorry)utg + 1 calls $30everyone else foldsflop $8010 J 8 with two diamondshero bets $50 - THIS IS MISTAKE #1 I BELIEVE....i think i should have bet pot or even a bit biggerutg + 1 calls $50turn $1804 offsuithero checks - THIS IS MISTAKE #2...had i bet pot or bigger on the flop, i could shove turn..but now, with about 245 left, for some reason i felt it was a bit of a big over bet, and i thought if i checked, villlain could make a smallish bet of $70-80, and i could shove over it..and collect his turn bet and have good fold equity, and if called, i have decentpot equity...regardless, i still should have shoved utg + 1 bets $120 (didnt expect him to bet that much)hero check raises all in $245 (i feel so screwed at this point...like i can't fold, but i can't just call...so i hope maybe, just maybe he'll fold an underpair or some hand that has a bit more equity than me)..at this point, villain hees and haws..."i have too much invested, i call"..with pocket 9's...river bricks...i set up an awkward pot amount on turn...i'm beginning to see these things that i didnt use to notice at much....what y'all think???

auto top off by having chips you want to add off the table if there is a max, between deals add whatever you are down. easy.

Reminds me of a 1/2 hand I played in my last vegas trip. Basically same preflop action and flop. I fire nearly a pot sized bet. Turn bricks, I shove for a pot sized bet and he insta calls with QJ.
well, i know he'll call with a j, but against my villian's 99, he definitely would've folded..he was very close to folding (incorrectly i guess) to my check raise on the turn...
Honestly, it just looks like one of those "hands"Almost sounds like even had you upped your bet sizing on the flop, he still wasn't folding the turn.
really? i think he has hard time calling a pot size shove of $230 -$250 on turn with just an open ender (well, what appears to be an open-ender)...my image is not bluffy or loose, though i doubt he was paying attention....then again, i've seen worse calls...but had i played the hand the way i thought i should have played, do you think that would have been the best way to go about it?
really? i think he has hard time calling a pot size shove of $230 -$250 on turn with just an open ender (well, what appears to be an open-ender)...my image is not bluffy or loose, though i doubt he was paying attention....then again, i've seen worse calls...but had i played the hand the way i thought i should have played, do you think that would have been the best way to go about it?
I think the way you wanted to play it is probably better.What I was saying though, is that villain sounds like a fish that was calling anways. With a bigger flop bet, and a shove on the turn, he may have very well said something like, "well there's so much in the pot, guess i gots to call"I don't know, I guess in spots like this, I'm just trying to get the money in on the flop. You're never a huge dog against any hand he has.

Is trying to c/r the flop out of the question?Is leading this flop usually the optimal play?I see stack size is a little goofy for it

Is trying to c/r the flop out of the question?
Not at all... it really depends on how often we c-bet though
Is leading this flop usually the optimal play?
check raising here is certainly optimal... but only if our playstyle allows it