Christopher Hitchens On Mel Gibson

Bill Murray wouldn't do it.
I bet Mel Gibson could come up with a movie where a guy wear's a puppet on his hand of a Beaver for most of the movie and Jodi Foster would sign up in a second!
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you would've gone straight to Collateral.
If I had taken the time to look him up at imdb I would have. I froze in front of the crowd. Thanks for the back-up.
there it is. the only movie out of the one's mentioned where tommy's performance ENHANCED the movie, rather than simply not detracting from it.
what nonsense. Cruise is just about the perfect actor for the roles he picks, he just doesn't happen to pick very challenging roles. One of the first times I ever heard Lebatard on the radio, when he was doing a sunday show on ESPN radio, he had a challenge for the audience to name a tom cruise role where "cocky" isn't part of the character description. He also argued there was no such thing as a "clutch" player, which infuriated at the time.
One of the first times I ever heard Lebatard on the radio, when he was doing a sunday show on ESPN radio, he had a challenge for the audience to name a tom cruise role where "cocky" isn't part of the character description.
His role in Eyes Wide Shut.
Like there is one actor in all of Hollywood that would refuse to do a Mel Gibson movie on principle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_OkonedoOn her heritage, Sophie says, "I feel as proud to be Jewish as I feel to be black" and calls her daughter an "Irish, Nigerian Jew". * Academy Awards o 2005, Best Supporting Actress (Hotel Rwanda) [nominated]
why does balloon guy think fatty arbuckle was nuts he was merely wrongly accused?
But he did go nuts and became a pariah of Hollywood.I didn't say he was guilty.
  • 2 weeks later...
I saw on Ebert's blog that Hitchens has cancer, and it's most likely terminal. Sad, I always enjoyed his arrogant belligerence.
I don't know how serious it is, but he still blogs on Slate. I know what you mean mean though, how can you not like a guy that drinks and smokes all day and gets paid to carp on everyone else? And, he's still usually right which makes it even better! You know, anyone that can go off on Mother Teresa like he did is okay in my book.
I don't know how serious it is, but he still blogs on Slate. I know what you mean mean though, how can you not like a guy that drinks and smokes all day and gets paid to carp on everyone else? And, he's still usually right which makes it even better! You know, anyone that can go off on Mother Teresa like he did is okay in my book.
Its very serious. He is very frank about the fact that he is dying.
Yea she was pretty selfish, always begging for money and rags for cleaning leper's wounds and stuff.I don't wish bad on Hitchens, as much as I disagree with him, I hope he finds peace with God and himself, even if nobody else ever knows, since we would totally use that with no regards to decency.
From what ebert's blog says, there's not much hope. He's fine right now, but it sounded terminal
Yea she was pretty selfish, always begging for money and rags for cleaning leper's wounds and stuff.I don't wish bad on Hitchens, as much as I disagree with him, I hope he finds peace with God and himself, even if nobody else ever knows, since we would totally use that with no regards to decency.
I imagine you agree with him on some issues, particularly his position against muslim extremism and muslim states. The case he makes against mother teresa is really a shocking one, actually. His basic thesis is that she is someone with a suffereing fetish, that the money she takes in donations is primarily used for expanding her "sister's of mercy" school of convents, and the hospices she has for the poor are some of the most vile possible. Basically, she has the poor dye in big warehouses, on a thin mat, surrounded by other dying with out as much as a sheet between them. Her reasoning is that suffering for god is good, and by these poor suffering in their last moments, she's doing a righteous act. So, while her nuns are living in relative comfort, the people who the donations are for suffer abysmally. Call me crazy, but if I donate to her charity, I'd want that money going to the sick and dying, making thier lives comfortable before they die, not to building posh convents.

I think it's a really bad thing to argue, that a woman devotes her life to live in Culcutta and spend her day wiping the sweat off the forehead, cleaning pus soaked rags, breathing the exhale from people dying from leprosy, is somehow 'selfish'.But she used some of the money to make sure her bed was soft and she had a couch?This would be what I call a losing battle.

Hitchens will renounce atheism before he kicks it. Count on it.He already said he doesnt mind if people pray for him.
That's a pretty far-fetched conclusion to draw if you've actually heard what he has to say on the subject. I am willing to put up to $1K that he doesn't.
That's a pretty far-fetched conclusion to draw if you've actually heard what he has to say on the subject. I am willing to put up to $1K that he doesn't.
It would depend I guess on how we define renounce, he has already tried to cover himself by saying if he does such a thing it is just the ravings of delerium in the final stages of life.
I think it's a really bad thing to argue, that a woman devotes her life to live in Culcutta and spend her day wiping the sweat off the forehead, cleaning pus soaked rags, breathing the exhale from people dying from leprosy, is somehow 'selfish'.But she used some of the money to make sure her bed was soft and she had a couch?This would be what I call a losing battle.
He wasn't calling her selfish as much as a sadist. and it wasn't so much making sure her bed was soft, as it was making sure the leper's mat's were hard.
It would depend I guess on how we define renounce, he has already tried to cover himself by saying if he does such a thing it is just the ravings of delerium in the final stages of life.
that's not "covering" himself. He said as long as he's able to think clearly and reason, he's never believe in a god, and any protestations to the contrary in his last dying moments are meaningless and I think he's 100 percent right about that. How meaningful is the deathbed "conversion" of a man staring painful death in the face, who's brain is eaten up by tumor's, and body is pumped to the gills with pain killers?
that's not "covering" himself. He said as long as he's able to think clearly and reason, he's never believe in a god, and any protestations to the contrary in his last dying moments are meaningless and I think he's 100 percent right about that. How meaningful is the deathbed "conversion" of a man staring painful death in the face, who's brain is eaten up by tumor's, and body is pumped to the gills with pain killers?
wHY is the fall back position of atheists that deathbed conversions are the result of a delusional mind eaten by tumors. A sincere atheist shouldnt convert under any circumstance. I doubt any christians would convert to atheism on their deathbed regardless of how many tumors they had.
He wasn't calling her selfish as much as a sadist. and it wasn't so much making sure her bed was soft, as it was making sure the leper's mat's were hard.
Well I'm sure now that she's gone all those leper's lives got significantly better.Her sucking up all the resources for herself and all.
wHY is the fall back position of atheists that deathbed conversions are the result of a delusional mind eaten by tumors. A sincere atheist shouldnt convert under any circumstance. I doubt any christians would convert to atheism on their deathbed regardless of how many tumors they had.
have you ever been around someone who's dying slowly? I have, a few times, including one person who'd had severe damage done to her brain (albeit from a stroke, and not a brain tumor). Before her stroke, she was a kind, lively, loving person. After the stroke she was the meanest person I'd ever been around. She said absurdly hurtful things to everyone in her family, who loved her intensly. It was a brutal 6 months. But should I judge my aunt on the cruel **** she became after having severe brain damage, or by the amazing woman she was the 80 years before the stroke? When your brain is damaged, it's damaged.Unless you think belief in god resides in the soul instead of the mind, in which case I have no counter other than..jayz-500x567.jpg