It's completely dependent on how comfortable you feel at the stakes and how serious you want to get about it. I like to use ~20 buy-ins at $5NL-50NL, but I know that a lot of people recommend at least 30. If you're just messing around and playing once in a while, it's completely up to you.What's your experience playing? What are your goals? Are you willing/able to re-deposit if you lose it? These will help you (and/or us, if you'd like) set a realistic buy-in minimum.

I am willing to reload if necessary. Ive played poker casually for about 8 years now but am now interested in playing on a more serious level. My goals are to get good enough in time to be able to play in the $5/$10 NLHE Cash games regularly. Obviously will take time but am willing to put the time in. I am going to start off low and work my way there. I am starting online very small right now, .25/.50 cash games(1 Table only right now). Next step is getting to $.50/$1. I am currently playing .25/.50 50-100 bb buy-in games. Bankroll is at $280 after a $100 start. I am assuming that the minimum buy-in before I would be recommended to move up then is 2k?

Yeah, don't move up until you get around 2k. I'd even suggest moving down...there's definite money to be had in at a 25NL table. If you don't want to move down, that's understandable, but if you start 2-tabling, suddenly your 280's going to seem small at a 50nl game. The big thing is that you don't want your bankroll to play a role in any hand that you play. If you're comfortable playing with 5 or 6 buy-ins, understand that there's a decent chance you will have to reload. Variance is a bitch.

I am willing to reload if necessary. Ive played poker casually for about 8 years now but am now interested in playing on a more serious level. My goals are to get good enough in time to be able to play in the $5/$10 NLHE Cash games regularly. Obviously will take time but am willing to put the time in. I am going to start off low and work my way there. I am starting online very small right now, .25/.50 cash games(1 Table only right now). Next step is getting to $.50/$1. I am currently playing .25/.50 50-100 bb buy-in games. Bankroll is at $280 after a $100 start. I am assuming that the minimum buy-in before I would be recommended to move up then is 2k?
wow.. thats like really really short.. gl on ur quest tho.$5/10 is prolly like one of the toughest games online.
Yeah, don't move up until you get around 2k. I'd even suggest moving down...there's definite money to be had in at a 25NL table. If you don't want to move down, that's understandable, but if you start 2-tabling, suddenly your 280's going to seem small at a 50nl game. The big thing is that you don't want your bankroll to play a role in any hand that you play. If you're comfortable playing with 5 or 6 buy-ins, understand that there's a decent chance you will have to reload. Variance is a bitch.
yah i would say i would wait for at the very least 10 buyins before we bump open another table, 12 would be much better. i mean 6 BI's on 2 tables it takes like 3-4 coolers a session and we are dead in the water, and if you are playing aggro and getting good value from your hands should be a possibility.
yah i would say i would wait for at the very least 10 buyins before we bump open another table, 12 would be much better. i mean 6 BI's on 2 tables it takes like 3-4 coolers a session and we are dead in the water, and if you are playing aggro and getting good value from your hands should be a possibility.
you know, its crazy sometimes...i deposited 100 the last time i played online, and went straight two 2 tables of 50nl 6 max. in about 6 hands on 1 table, i got it all in, a6 suited on all suited board...had nut flush, against a set of twos...next two cards were k,k..lol. ggabout 10 min later, on my last table, i built to about 75, and the only person at the table who covers me, we get it all in preflop, with my AA against his JJ...and the river is a Jack.(hurt so much more coming on the river)..so yeah, varaince is a bitch...i made perfectly good decesions, and got my money in as good as you could possibly get it..so if i were you, i'd have at least 20 buyins...and i wouldn't jump into the 50nl game with 280...

What ever rules you decide on aren't as important as making sure you stick to them. Don't go on crazy monkey tilt and start breaking your bankroll rules, that's the way to the land of busto.

What ever rules you decide on aren't as important as making sure you stick to them. Don't go on crazy monkey tilt and start breaking your bankroll rules, that's the way to the land of busto.
yeah i was reading something the other day about having a plan and sticking to it no matter what happens and i agree with it.
100 buyins minimumfuck variance
i binked a Rio 1pm deep stack so now i have 100 bi for LOLive 1-2 nl. For live play, how many buyins would you recommend for 2-5NLHE + ?How many buyins to move up? How many to take a shot?
i binked a Rio 1pm deep stack so now i have 100 bi for LOLive 1-2 nl. For live play, how many buyins would you recommend for 2-5NLHE + ?How many buyins to move up? How many to take a shot?
Since in most typical live cash games blinds don't actually mean much, when you take a shot I'd move up initially as a shortstacker until you get a feel for the level. So if you're a 1/2 NLHE player looking to take a shot, I'd sit with 250-300 (what you should be buying in for at 1-2 anyhow) at a 2-5 table until your comfort zone is there.Obviously everyone's br management is different. If poker is something you treat as a hobby or something you'd like to do "some day" as a pro, then your BR requirements aren't going to be all that serious.Personally, I'm still hovering above flat broke in life with no job, and grind out retardedly low stakes online to pay rent etc. It's like living paycheck to paycheck but with poker... that's why I say ridiculous things like 100 buys minimum.Also, nice hidden brag post :club:

In all seriousness, if u don't mind me asking...how much on average do you make playing poker NA? If you got a 40 hour a week job paying 10 bucks an hour, you could start taking bigger shots right? I completely understand if you're too lazy to work or you really enjoy playing poker for a living. Reason I'm interested....I'm on my own, have a 35k a year job and make decent money playing 1/2 live in order to live reasonably comfortable. However....I'm finding it very difficult to move up to 2/5 bc of rent, bills, and all the money i make from poker going to other places.

In all seriousness, if u don't mind me asking...how much on average do you make playing poker NA? If you got a 40 hour a week job paying 10 bucks an hour, you could start taking bigger shots right? I completely understand if you're too lazy to work or you really enjoy playing poker for a living. Reason I'm interested....I'm on my own, have a 35k a year job and make decent money playing 1/2 live in order to live reasonably comfortable. However....I'm finding it very difficult to move up to 2/5 bc of rent, bills, and all the money i make from poker going to other places.
sent via pmIt's not a matter of lazy
Since in most typical live cash games blinds don't actually mean much, when you take a shot I'd move up initially as a shortstacker until you get a feel for the level. So if you're a 1/2 NLHE player looking to take a shot, I'd sit with 250-300 (what you should be buying in for at 1-2 anyhow) at a 2-5 table until your comfort zone is there.Obviously everyone's br management is different. If poker is something you treat as a hobby or something you'd like to do "some day" as a pro, then your BR requirements aren't going to be all that serious.Personally, I'm still hovering above flat broke in life with no job, and grind out retardedly low stakes online to pay rent etc. It's like living paycheck to paycheck but with poker... that's why I say ridiculous things like 100 buys minimum.Also, nice hidden brag post :club:
Ideally, I would like it to become a 'weekend job'; i work at a fam owned/operated produce wholesaler in Chicage mon-fri, so while my priorities lie with the family I do treat poker like a part- time job. I've plugged a lot of fundamental leaks, as well as 'advanced' concepts by posting & discussing various hands.. It seems like 2-5 plays a lot like 1-2, the main differences being bet sizing & there are, on avg, a couple 'good' plyrs per table. Still pretty soft though. 5-10 you look for weak spots. I ran very well in vegas 5-10 ( +6.5 BI ), but wont be playing it regularly as I think it would be a mistake to skip 2-5.I'm going to start playing the 2-5 @ the horseshoe hammond as word is those games are uBer juicy. Also I'm going to deposit a small amount online to learn PLO. If i run bad at 2-5 or have to drop down for whatever reason it wont be an issue.-steveps i fail @ subtle brag posts obv =)

I've played a lot of 1/2 live and some 2/5 live and the biggest difference is like you said, many more good players at a 2/5 table. I'd say there's 1 to 2 solid people at an avg 1/2 table and 4 or 5 at a 2/5. That means a 2/5 game is going to be much more agressive than 1/2 and you won't be seeing as many flops.