Hey guys. I'm starting to play a bit after a long layoff, so hopefully you'll see some better plays in the future. Gotta shake off some rust first, I'm afraid. I'd like you to check my play here and tell me how it looks.I'd been pretty card-dead for 5 or 10 minutes, so I look really tight to anyone that's been paying attention. The table is really passive, as seems to be the norm at this level.FTP .05/.10 6-maxCustom has Ac6cUTG foldsCustom raises to .303 foldsBB callsPot: .61Flop: 6d 5h 4cBB bets .30, Custom raises to .80, BB callsPot: 2.10Turn: 5sBB bets $1, Custom callsPot: 4.10River: 8sBB checks, Custom checksBased on experience from a few years ago, my range for BB was KQ, Ax-AK, 44-TT. What's your range? How do you play this? Any questions or comments welcome.

Hey guys. I'm starting to play a bit after a long layoff, so hopefully you'll see some better plays in the future. Gotta shake off some rust first, I'm afraid. I'd like you to check my play here and tell me how it looks.I'd been pretty card-dead for 5 or 10 minutes, so I look really tight to anyone that's been paying attention. The table is really passive, as seems to be the norm at this level.FTP .05/.10 6-maxCustom has Ac6cUTG foldsCustom raises to .303 foldsBB callsPot: .61Flop: 6d 5h 4cBB bets .30, Custom raises to .80, BB callsPot: 2.10Turn: 5sBB bets $1, Custom callsPot: 4.10River: 8sBB checks, Custom checksBased on experience from a few years ago, my range for BB was KQ, Ax-AK, 44-TT. What's your range? How do you play this? Any questions or comments welcome.
Welcome back!I don't mind a raise PF w/A6s suited, but UTG+1 it is kinda loose. It's okay if you can outplay people postflop at .5/.10, which isn't terribly difficult to do. Also don't give too much merit to your image and how people at a 10nl game perceive you.On the flop, villain donk bets into you. Not sure if this was common knowledge when you were playing, but in cash games, this means he's super weak like 99% of the time. When you're donked into like this, you should really be raising a large portion of your range, and sometimes just flatting your really strong hands.So you flop TPTK, and get donked into. I could go either way here with a flat or a raise. There aren't a ton of turn cards we're going to love, but on the flop, there may be some worse hands that might call the raise. I would actually make my flop raise a little bigger too, about 1.10ish. Your raise to .80 is super small and giving villain a little over 3:1 to call.The only problem I see with raising the flop is we're obviously intending to raise for value, but at the same time, turning our hand into a bluff. I mean, if he decides to come back over the top, I think it's a pretty clear fold. Unless you have some read that he's spazzing with a hand like A7, 67, 57, maybe even 47.Turn and river IPITS.

Looks pretty standard range on flop is majority air/draw when he donks, good value raiseboard pairing on the turn is meh for us, doesn't improve his range a ton, but calling and letting him fire whiffed draws on the river is probably more +ev than raisingriver his range is, for the most part, complete. you're not folding better here, and there's no value in betting, so checking behind seems correct

Welcome back!I don't mind a raise PF w/A6s suited, but UTG+1 it is kinda loose. It's okay if you can outplay people postflop at .5/.10, which isn't terribly difficult to do. Also don't give too much merit to your image and how people at a 10nl game perceive you.On the flop, villain donk bets into you. Not sure if this was common knowledge when you were playing, but in cash games, this means he's super weak like 99% of the time. When you're donked into like this, you should really be raising a large portion of your range, and sometimes just flatting your really strong hands.So you flop TPTK, and get donked into. I could go either way here with a flat or a raise. There aren't a ton of turn cards we're going to love, but on the flop, there may be some worse hands that might call the raise. I would actually make my flop raise a little bigger too, about 1.10ish. Your raise to .80 is super small and giving villain a little over 3:1 to call.The only problem I see with raising the flop is we're obviously intending to raise for value, but at the same time, turning our hand into a bluff. I mean, if he decides to come back over the top, I think it's a pretty clear fold. Unless you have some read that he's spazzing with a hand like A7, 67, 57, maybe even 47.Turn and river IPITS.
Thanks! I figured the landscape had probably changed, and I wouldn't have guessed a donk-bet would more often be made by a weak hand. I've been playing as if he got excited to pair a card and HAD to put out a bet or if he was chasing a draw.Part of what I struggled with was whether I was being too aggressive on the flop. Generally if it's close between a bet and a call, I'll make the bet to give myself an easier read on what I'm up against.
Thanks! I figured the landscape had probably changed, and I wouldn't have guessed a donk-bet would more often be made by a weak hand. I've been playing as if he got excited to pair a card and HAD to put out a bet or if he was chasing a draw.Part of what I struggled with was whether I was being too aggressive on the flop. Generally if it's close between a bet and a call, I'll make the bet to give myself an easier read on what I'm up against.
Sounds like you're betting for information.People will probably get on you about that, because you'll find that betting for information is so 2004.Now a days, we bet for 2 specific reasons. To make worse hands call, and better hands fold. It took me a while to get used to this notion, but it's vastly improved my game.In your specific hand, raising the flop is good because while we are never folding better hands on that flop, we can still get value from hands we beat.

I think it's played well. We could raise bigger on the flop, but I don't think it's such a big deal. I think it's definately good to raise the flop though. I don't think it's turning the hand into a bluff at all really. Sure we probably have to fold to a re-raise, but at this level people are probably calling with weaker hands often enough to get some decent value here.

Sounds like you're betting for information.People will probably get on you about that, because you'll find that betting for information is so 2004.Now a days, we bet for 2 specific reasons. To make worse hands call, and better hands fold. It took me a while to get used to this notion, but it's vastly improved my game.
Oh. Is that why we're raising more on the flop? Should I be looking to give 2:1 odds? 2.5:1?The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Make the good players fold, let the bad players keep playing. You're right though, it will take some getting used to.
Oh. Is that why we're raising more on the flop? Should I be looking to give 2:1 odds? 2.5:1?The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Make the good players fold, let the bad players keep playing. You're right though, it will take some getting used to.
Pretty much. You want the draws to call when you have the best hand, but you want it to be a mistake for them to call. We obviously do this by giving them bad odds.Just keep posting interesting hands, and check out the big micro stakes thread. It's mostly where we post brag hands and bad beats, but we occasionally talk strategy. There's a couple of really good posts regarding 3bets in there towards the later pages.
Pretty much. You want the draws to call when you have the best hand, but you want it to be a mistake for them to call. We obviously do this by giving them bad odds.
I think this idea is way overrated and causes many players to bet way too big. Yes, we don't want to be minraising, but at the same time don't kill yourself by overbetting and never getting anyone to pay you.First of all, if he has a draw, he's betting into a made hand, so he's already made a mistake. Our raise just compounds that. We also almost always tend to forget how happy our stacks get when someone misses a draw. Finally, since most draw cards are obvious, we can be certain he's almost never going to get the proper implied odds.The other thing we tend to forget is just because a draw is +EV pot wise for them, it doesn't mean we're not still profiting with any bet they come along to, so long as we don't pay them well AFTER their draw completes. There are many times in poker when both players are going to be +EV and there's really nothing that can realistically be done about it. Your goal is not to make the other player a losing player, it's to make yourself a profitable one. You're still a favorite against an unmade hand, so any chip that goes in now you're getting the bigger slice of long term.I mean, yeah, this doesn't give justification for a minraise or anything... but your raises sizes should be according to the pot and not go crazy out of control just because we want to "price out" the draw.edt: sorry, i gotta continue to rant on thisfurthermore... betting big to "price out draws" ends up screwing us a ton when they chase their draw by "mistake". This is because we get the pot so out of control large that when it hits, we have to start paying off bets on later streets because we then get significant pot odds to do so. Then we justify making our big mistake on the end by thinking "what a donk, I priced him out, he made a mistake oh well I will hurt him long term". But what those donks are doing are making minor mistakes to induce your huge mistakes later. Making minor mistakes to induce your huge mistakes later. Does that sound familiar? Sounds exactly like the entire good LAG gameplan.

call flop! call 2nd barrels on safe turns, lead when checked to on the turn. check behind on river