Recreation Hockey League

Tim no hot moms in our age group since most of the parents believe it or not are actually older than me.
I didn't see any hot moms at tryouts, unfortunately.
Obviously, you both need to lower your standards. Give me a shout if you need help with that.
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

Obviously, you both need to lower your standards. Give me a shout if you need help with that.
I think my standards are very low. Any lower I would be looking at Biatch.

I miss coaching but it just took up WAY too much of my time and there's no way I could do reffing and coaching right now. I always had a blast at practice goofing around with the kids and shooting on the goalies.

Actually feeling pretty geared up for my 1st game this Friday night. Got an early game at 9 pm.
Mine's at 9:15 so I guess we're not playing each other. :club: I'm heading to Penn State for the weekend so I'm missing ANOTHER game. I think I've played like 4 times in the last 4 months.

Serge, I actually find some of my assistant coaches in the past couple of years that are NOT good hockey players make the best coaches. The dads who 'played some high school hockey' often think they know everything and are no help at all. I make the practice plan, and it drives me crazy watching some dad teaching them something that is off the plan, just because he 'thought it would be good' The non hockey dads are just trying to help out legitimately, and are great with the kids.

Serge, I actually find some of my assistant coaches in the past couple of years that are NOT good hockey players make the best coaches. The dads who 'played some high school hockey' often think they know everything and are no help at all. I make the practice plan, and it drives me crazy watching some dad teaching them something that is off the plan, just because he 'thought it would be good' The non hockey dads are just trying to help out legitimately, and are great with the kids.
Good point. I noticed this as well
Update on my son's hockey career. He is 14 and playing Bantam (I think). He got wind that there were not enough kids trying out for Select hockey in our league so he wanted to go out. From the numbers I think there is maybe 17 kids out.He did not make the team (his skating is bad, about a step or 2 slower than other kids). So I had to talk to him telling him that I don't care about him playing Select and all I wanted him to do was play houseleague.Tim no hot moms in our age group since most of the parents believe it or not are actually older than me.
Good luck to your boy in house league. Hopefully he'll enjoy that more anyway!

Wayne thats great about your son.Even though my son is much younger he also got wind that they have Select available starting next year for him.I m not sure which way to go with this.Should he try out for select? Is he still too young?Im not sure but he may make it , especially with another year of hockey under his belt. Do I want him to make it? Forget the added cost , added commitment and the overall more seriousness of it, do we want to go down that road?While Adrian seems to be a bit better than average player, i dont see him as a professional hockey player as do a lot of these other parents out there. However if he wants to try out, i dont think i will say no. He is more serious about the game than other kids his age, like he knows position, understands offsides and icings, which a lot of kids dont care about.Also if he does try out and doesnt make it, is this gonna turn him off of hockey ?He is still a kid..Should 7 year olds be playing select anyway? Advice would be appreciated.

Excellent points. Especially at that age, being good with the kids is more important than advanced hockey teaching, which some (most?) coaches don't understand. A long with adult, college, and HS games I also end up doing 8-12 year old games as well. Some of the shit (yes, SHIT) that I hear coaches telling the kids on the bench make me wanna throw them out of the game. Let the kids have fun and play hockey.

Serge, I think it should be up to what Adrian wants. If he wants to try out for Select, then you should let him. Getting cut from teams is a fact of life in sports for most people. If he really loves the game, it shouldn't deter him.

Serge, I think it should be up to what Adrian wants. If he wants to try out for Select, then you should let him. Getting cut from teams is a fact of life in sports for most people. If he really loves the game, it shouldn't deter him.
You are right. I am sure i will let him try out. He will probably make it, and i guess its a whole new experience and much more different than house league.I want him to see the reality of life too.He actually believes that he is going to be in the NHL. He thinks that its easy and he will play hockey for a living. He doesnt understand it yet I guess, but I guess he will..Hockey is something he can play his whole life, for fun and exercise.
LOL. My son gets cut from everything he has tried out for. High school baseball, Grade 7/8 basketball, Select hockey, etc.I stress to him to just do the best you can, I just enjoy watching him play.Now Serge, I do think it is up to Adrian if he wants to play Select.
You are right. I am sure i will let him try out. He will probably make it, and i guess its a whole new experience and much more different than house league.I want him to see the reality of life too.He actually believes that he is going to be in the NHL. He thinks that its easy and he will play hockey for a living. He doesnt understand it yet I guess, but I guess he will..Hockey is something he can play his whole life, for fun and exercise.
Most young hockey players believe they are going to play in the NHL. At some point, he will come to the realization that the odds are stacked against him, or maybe he won't ever have to come to that realizaiton. Either way, it's up to him to discover for himself, and it's not for anybody to tell him.Heck, Devan always had a certainty, for his entire life that he was going to play in the NHL, and he made it. In Grade 7 or 8, one of his teachers told him that it was impossible to make the NHL, and that he should make other plans. Dev just shrugged and said 'nope, I'm going to play in the NHL'.
Heck, Devan always had a certainty, for his entire life that he was going to play in the NHL, and he made it. In Grade 7 or 8, one of his teachers told him that it was impossible to make the NHL, and that he should make other plans. Dev just shrugged and said 'nope, I'm going to play in the NHL'.
Soooooooooo....has he visited this teacher recently? You know, just to say hi and SUCK IT! :club:

Thats awesome. If I was Devan I would send that teacher a pair of Oilers tickets. Guys like that motivate you more than your supporters.

Thats awesome. If I was Devan I would send that teacher a pair of Oilers tickets. Guys like that motivate you more than your supporters.
Better idea than mine....but maybe also include a note that says "SUCK IT!"?
Better idea than mine....but maybe also include a note that says "SUCK IT!"?
Ok I got a better idea.He invites him to the Oilers game. During one of the commercial breaks, they play a piece from Devan where he says something like"Hey Mr. -------, remember me Devan from grade 8? I made it. SUCK IT"Hows that?
Heck, Devan always had a certainty, for his entire life that he was going to play in the NHL, and he made it. In Grade 7 or 8, one of his teachers told him that it was impossible to make the NHL, and that he should make other plans. Dev just shrugged and said 'nope, I'm going to play in the NHL'.
That teacher was probably right with the other 9999 kids he taught. :club:

Serge, before you go down the select road, do some research: find out where Adrian would fit in with the select kids. If he's going to be in the bottom third, then leave him in house league. He will get equal ice time in house league, while select isn't held to those regulations. Also, in select, the coaches tend to design everything around their best kids and winning games. Find out what you can about the head coach and his philosophy. Also, if he IS good enough to play select, but you keep him in house league, he will get called up as an AP to play for them anyway: so you will get a taste of it, as well as find out everything you need to know, without the cost. I really believe you should keep your kids where they are happiest, and WHERE THEY WILL GET THE MOST ICE TIME! Just like the pros, keeping your first round draft pick to sit in the press box doesnt help him develop... Also, just as an FYI, I included this tidbit in my season opening letter to my parents: 'The greatest birth year in the history of Ontario Hockey was the legendary year of 1975. 30,000 players with the birth year of 1975 registered for minor hockey in Ontario. Of those 30,000, a grand total of 11 made it to the NHL. So let's have some fun...'

Serge, before you go down the select road, do some research: find out where Adrian would fit in with the select kids. If he's going to be in the bottom third, then leave him in house league. He will get equal ice time in house league, while select isn't held to those regulations. Also, in select, the coaches tend to design everything around their best kids and winning games. Find out what you can about the head coach and his philosophy. Also, if he IS good enough to play select, but you keep him in house league, he will get called up as an AP to play for them anyway: so you will get a taste of it, as well as find out everything you need to know, without the cost. I really believe you should keep your kids where they are happiest, and WHERE THEY WILL GET THE MOST ICE TIME! Just like the pros, keeping your first round draft pick to sit in the press box doesnt help him develop... Also, just as an FYI, I included this tidbit in my season opening letter to my parents: 'The greatest birth year in the history of Ontario Hockey was the legendary year of 1975. 30,000 players with the birth year of 1975 registered for minor hockey in Ontario. Of those 30,000, a grand total of 11 made it to the NHL. So let's have some fun...'
When I was growing up, Select players played all the house league games (and practices) and all the select league games (and practices)...
That teacher was probably right with the other 9999 kids he taught. :club:
absolutely. However, it really isn't his place to decide that. If every kid was realistic about their chances to make the NHL, nobody would make it. It doesn't hurt to dream a little, especially when you are very young.
absolutely. However, it really isn't his place to decide that. If every kid was realistic about their chances to make the NHL, nobody would make it. It doesn't hurt to dream a little, especially when you are very young.
So true..... I still dream, and I'm .... um..... old...
I guess grade 7/8 might still be early to start shattering dreams, but then again, isnt it a good idea to at least have a backup? At least by grade 10/11? Ya, I dont know whats right, just spouting.