Recreation Hockey League

Every sport goes all year now. I was just talking to my friend who has a 9, soon to be 10, year old about that. His kid plays baseball and football. The kid was discouraged by this summer's baseball because a lot of the other kids progressed much more than him. Well, those kids played fall ball and spring ball. My buddy's kid played football in the fall and enjoyed free time in the spring. Also, the coaches also did fall and spring with those players so his son feels like they're all buddy-buddy where he is the new guy and not in their clique.

At 9-10 years old, he is already feeling pressure to pick one sport, stick with it, and play year round. Crazy, right? But some of you have probably gone through it with your kids?

Ya. I don’t agree with it. Kids skate all summer and do camps and everything else for hockey. My philosophy is hang up the skates when hockey is over. Do something else. Kids get burnt out. I have seen it

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

So Saturday I took Adrian to the NorCal select tryouts. It was an eye opening experience. Adrian plays B here in Fresno. Mainly since thats all we have , and its not easy to drive 2 hours away to play A AA or AAA here. So he tried out for this team, where all the top kids from Northern California showed up to eventually will be narrowed down to the top 2005 kids in the country. They will represent the US in international competition. Its a huge thing to put on the resume for sure.

The level of these kids were so much higher than what we play. Mostly AA and AAA kids..He hung in there, and wasnt out of place..Unfortunately he isnt on the roster as he was named as an alternate. So if one of the other 3 goalies isnt able to go, he will get the call. Or we just go Tonya Harding on them( I am kidding of course)..He was the only kid to try out from the whole B division( he got a special invite as its for A and higher kids) and the only kid from Fresno.

Just checked two of the kids that beat him play AAA for the Sharks and already have a Elite Prospects page.

Very proud that he did as well as he did. He is a bit disappointed he isnt one of the top 3, but now will have to work a bit harder to get there.

So Saturday I took Adrian to the NorCal select tryouts.

Curious: Has he been to a goalie school or gotten private goalie lessons? Or how was he taught the position and continue to be coached?

I am (hopefully) coming out of my 2ish year "retirement" from playing in Feb by joining a 30+ draft league. When I turned 30, I said I wouldn't play in a 30+ league until I was 40. Well, that age will be coming in Sept so I guess it is time.

The reason I say "hopefully" is the is not much turnover in the league so open spots are tough to come by. I will have to be up and logged in at 6am on Monday to register for the league.

Curious: Has he been to a goalie school or gotten private goalie lessons? Or how was he taught the position and continue to be coached?

He does have a goalie coach. And he has been to several camps over the years. However not as much as could be. He basically took up the position at 6 years old and never left the net.

This is the year where if he is going to take it seriously we will allow him to get more private lessons. He has some natural ability, but he needs to work harder at it if he wants to pursue it.

While playing pro is probably not in the cards, high level junior and a decent college is a possibility.

There are some serious programs here in California run by the Sharks, Kings and Ducks with some high level coaches.

Very nice.

Just so you know, I wasn't doubting his path or looking to give my 2 cents, just curious

Not at all. It’s an interesting journey. I’m always open to suggestions as well. I’m constantly getting the from all angles. I leave up to him now. If he wants to get better and work at it. We will support him.

• 2 weeks later...

It was confirmed tonight. The softball team wants me to run a poker tournament in February

Another confirmation last night. I will now be running 2 poker tournaments for both my daughters softball teams

I am (hopefully) coming out of my 2ish year "retirement" from playing in Feb by joining a 30+ draft league. When I turned 30, I said I wouldn't play in a 30+ league until I was 40. Well, that age will be coming in Sept so I guess it is time.

It's official, I am on a 30+ team starting in Feb. They have an evaluation skate on Feb 4th and the league starts the next week. Time to be a little less fat...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So Saturday I took Adrian to the NorCal select tryouts. It was an eye opening experience. Adrian plays B here in Fresno. Mainly since thats all we have , and its not easy to drive 2 hours away to play A AA or AAA here. So he tried out for this team, where all the top kids from Northern California showed up to eventually will be narrowed down to the top 2005 kids in the country. They will represent the US in international competition. Its a huge thing to put on the resume for sure.

The level of these kids were so much higher than what we play. Mostly AA and AAA kids..He hung in there, and wasnt out of place..Unfortunately he isnt on the roster as he was named as an alternate. So if one of the other 3 goalies isnt able to go, he will get the call. Or we just go Tonya Harding on them( I am kidding of course)..He was the only kid to try out from the whole B division( he got a special invite as its for A and higher kids) and the only kid from Fresno.

Just checked two of the kids that beat him play AAA for the Sharks and already have a Elite Prospects page.

Very proud that he did as well as he did. He is a bit disappointed he isnt one of the top 3, but now will have to work a bit harder to get there.

Well we got the call this morning that one goalie cant make it and Adrian will be attending the California Select Camp this weekend. Pretty huge deal. All the top 2003,2004,2005 kids in the state will be there. So there will be I am assuming 6 goalies there and they will probably pick 3 to represent California in the Western Regional.

This is a process to pick the top 2005 kids in the country , they will play in an international tourney. While he probably wont get picked , its a huge experience and opportunity and goes on the resume pretty good.

Monday is the day. I picture it playing out like Mario....they lower my retired jersey from the rafters. I am on the cover of SI with "The Second Coming" in bold letters next to me. But mostly, I just hope I can make it the entire hour without passing out or barfing all over myself or someone else. I have skated once in a half ice pick up since a tourney in May. Before May, I skated maybe 12 times in the 12-14 months before that. This should be fun...

The 30+ league "rating session" is on Monday, which is just 2 scrimmages with new and returning players so the team captains can check out the new guys in the league for their draft. When I eyed the league 6 weeks ago, I was going to skate 3-4 times before the season. I was going to get a few runs in on the tread mill. Here we are, 6 days from the start and I have done none of those things.

The funny part is I have already had 2 of the 6 team captains reach out to me suggesting that I shouldn't go to the rating session because the other captains probably don't know me by name. Meaning, they will then be able to draft me late as a "steal" and make sure our team is one of the best. Gotta love 30+ angle shooting! I do like the competitiveness though.

Wish me luck....I don't plan to walk normal for at least 3 days after.

• Like 1

Monday is the day. I picture it playing out like Mario....they lower my retired jersey from the rafters. I am on the cover of SI with "The Second Coming" in bold letters next to me. But mostly, I just hope I can make it the entire hour without passing out or barfing all over myself or someone else. I have skated once in a half ice pick up since a tourney in May. Before May, I skated maybe 12 times in the 12-14 months before that. This should be fun...

The 30+ league "rating session" is on Monday, which is just 2 scrimmages with new and returning players so the team captains can check out the new guys in the league for their draft. When I eyed the league 6 weeks ago, I was going to skate 3-4 times before the season. I was going to get a few runs in on the tread mill. Here we are, 6 days from the start and I have done none of those things.

The funny part is I have already had 2 of the 6 team captains reach out to me suggesting that I shouldn't go to the rating session because the other captains probably don't know me by name. Meaning, they will then be able to draft me late as a "steal" and make sure our team is one of the best. Gotta love 30+ angle shooting! I do like the competitiveness though.

remember a strained groin is no laughing matter

• 2 weeks later...

Monday was the rating session. I'm still sore so my 3 days is about right. I got drafted 1st overall though apparently. I would rather have been about 1/3 of the way into the draft so there's better competition but it seems to be a decent league.

Monday was the rating session. I'm still sore so my 3 days is about right. I got drafted 1st overall though apparently. I would rather have been about 1/3 of the way into the draft so there's better competition but it seems to be a decent league.

Remind me to never step on the ice against you

Remind me to never step on the ice against you

You should get me now when I'm still fat! :icon_surprised:

I'm around 225 now (I'm 6'1 btw), I need to get back down to 210 and maybe even 200 if I try real hard. Or stop eating like shit. Or both.

I took my daughter (turned 3 on 1/10) skating for the first time yesterday. I didn't expect much but she was amazing. She stood on her own with very little movement, but, above that, didn't want to leave the ice. Every time her old dad had to take a break, she would repeat "I wanna go back out!" to me. She already asked me when she can play hockey. :icon_surprised:

• Like 2

I took my daughter (turned 3 on 1/10) skating for the first time yesterday. I didn't expect much but she was amazing. She stood on her own with very little movement, but, above that, didn't want to leave the ice. Every time her old dad had to take a break, she would repeat "I wanna go back out!" to me. She already asked me when she can play hockey. :icon_surprised:

So it begins the life of a hockey dad!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My older daughter has her first softball game this weekend. Its at the Seneca dome. We are there Saturday 6-8 pm and Sunday 1-3 pm. We play 4 games and the unfortunate part is 2 games are going on so the outfielders could be back to back. Also catching a flyball in the backdrop of the dome will be hard.

My older daughter has her first softball game this weekend. Its at the Seneca dome. We are there Saturday 6-8 pm and Sunday 1-3 pm. We play 4 games and the unfortunate part is 2 games are going on so the outfielders could be back to back. Also catching a flyball in the backdrop of the dome will be hard.

is this dome at Don Mills+Finch?