Recreation Hockey League

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

Serge, before you go down the select road, do some research: find out where Adrian would fit in with the select kids. If he's going to be in the bottom third, then leave him in house league. He will get equal ice time in house league, while select isn't held to those regulations. Also, in select, the coaches tend to design everything around their best kids and winning games. Find out what you can about the head coach and his philosophy. Also, if he IS good enough to play select, but you keep him in house league, he will get called up as an AP to play for them anyway: so you will get a taste of it, as well as find out everything you need to know, without the cost. I really believe you should keep your kids where they are happiest, and WHERE THEY WILL GET THE MOST ICE TIME! Just like the pros, keeping your first round draft pick to sit in the press box doesnt help him develop... Also, just as an FYI, I included this tidbit in my season opening letter to my parents: 'The greatest birth year in the history of Ontario Hockey was the legendary year of 1975. 30,000 players with the birth year of 1975 registered for minor hockey in Ontario. Of those 30,000, a grand total of 11 made it to the NHL. So let's have some fun...'
Thanks Chris , great advice. I love that quote. Thats pretty crazy numbers.It makes sense that he plays where he has the most fun and most ice time. The thing with Adrian is he is very competitive, i think he got that from me. Like in soccer this summer he really didnt have as much fun, because half the team didnt know the rules and didnt care about it. He would have more fun with kids that are equal to and better than him IMO. I also would like for him to learn disappointment and real life skills too. I think trying out for select will encourage that.Funny you should bring up the rankings. Before they made the teams for our league they had two practices where they evaluated all the kids. They actually ranked all the kids , for the purpose of putting them on teams. I found this a little weird putting a ranking on 5 and 6 year oldsNow I am not sure if these same kids will be all trying for select, I would think not as a lot of the weak kids wont. In his current league they ranked him number 7 out of 45 kids. This is mainly because he is one of the older and bigger kids in the league.We will see, i will let him do what he wants and Im sure he will want to play Select.
absolutely. However, it really isn't his place to decide that. If every kid was realistic about their chances to make the NHL, nobody would make it. It doesn't hurt to dream a little, especially when you are very young.
We actually did a fun exercise with Adrian , while doing some of his math homework.We figured out that IF(when if you ask him) Adrian makes the NHL , he will have a very good chance to play against his hero Dion Phaneuf. He said by then he will be too old and he will be able to get by him and score.:club:

Plus, there are lots of very succesful paths through hockey that don't end in an NHL career.A good friend of mine played mostly AA and AAA growing up, never got drafted to the WHL, but still kept the dream alive, working hard on his game. Played 3 years in the AJHL, then got a full ride shcolarship and played for SAIT, in the secondary canadian college leage (ACAC). He became SAIT's all time leading scorer, and this summer signed a 2 year contract to play professional hockey in France. he makes around 50k, plus all expenses and housing paid for and he lives on a ski resort in France. Sure, 50k isn't rich, but he does have a business diploma, and how many of us would gladly trade places with him right now?

Hitting the ice for the 1st time this year. Have decided to go with an old pair of Reebok skates my son used 2 seasons ago.Just need to sharpen them and I am good to go. Hopefully my feet will be okay. My old frickin body is breaking down.

I put new runners on my old Grafs skates I quit using in the spring to use for reffing only. It's amazing how shitty old skates feel once you use new ones for a few months. I feel like the have NO support and I'm wearing slippers with blades on the bottom. They're fine for adult games but I'm not sure I feel confident using them for high level games.I did 3 adult league games this week. I forgot how entertaining some idiots can be while trying to argue calls with me and how self-entertaining it is to mess with them.I call a slash...him: Slash? I had one hand on my stick!me: Yea....and?him: Can that be a slash?me: Did you slash him?him: I'm asking you!me: No, I'm asking you!him: ........me: Just go to the box...I call a blatant hook and a guy on the penalized team chimes in...him: There's 2 teams on the ice.me: Wait, how many teams are on the ice?him: There's 2 teams!me: How many goalies are there?him: What?me: There's 2 goalies....2 refs....2 goal nets....him: ........what?me: Do you think we can move on and count to 3 now?him: .........what?And an all time favorite line to use...him: Why wasn't that a penalty?me: Cause I didn't put my arm up, blow the whistle, or call a penalty. (then I skate away.)him: ............

Hitting the ice for the 1st time this year. Have decided to go with an old pair of Reebok skates my son used 2 seasons ago.Just need to sharpen them and I am good to go. Hopefully my feet will be okay. My old frickin body is breaking down.
Actually had to use my old dull skates due to getting out too late.We lost 7-6 (our defence stinks) but I did pop in a goal and had 2 assists playing right wing.
So...looks like I'm playing softball today? Someone must have forgot to mention to these guys it is hockey season. Gotta grab my glove out of the storage closet. Hope I don't pull anything!
Well, the other team didn't show up. We hung out and practiced for an hour or two though, which was fun enough. Took 20 minutes of BP and have blisters all over my hands! Pretty fun, haven't had a chance to take more than a few swings in years. Wish I'd remembered how shitty your hands can get swinging a bat without gloves though. Yowch.
Well, the other team didn't show up. We hung out and practiced for an hour or two though, which was fun enough. Took 20 minutes of BP and have blisters all over my hands! Pretty fun, haven't had a chance to take more than a few swings in years. Wish I'd remembered how shitty your hands can get swinging a bat without gloves though. Yowch.
I went to hitting with 2 gloves on. Makes a big difference to me. I also pulled my shoulder behind my head to get more bat speed. I am now looking at the pitcher over my shoulder. Made a huge difference and was hitting the ball near the fence.After hockey for some reason my body is not beaten up. Maybe I am getting younger.

So... I scored 2 goals tonight. This is my first year in an actual league since MJ 9 years ago. I'm on a 3 game streak and have 4 goals in 4 games. This is absolustly ludicrous considering I'm fat and out of shape, and this league is way harder than I really expected. Hope to keep it up though! On a pretty big high! Tonight's goals were the first 2 I really felt I deserved, so that's a pretty cool feeling.

My hate for Glen Healy has gone down immensely when we were told that he donated over $5000 in equipment to the Pickering Hockey Association. (where my son plays).Healy is a proud member of the area and he does a lot to help minor league hockey.Thanks Glen.Now please stop hating on the Leafs.(or change my perception and be a little more Joe Bowen like):club:

what did you think when he said Reimer was faking/embellishing?thats pretty great he donated though, I get your point.
Ya , thats a great example of stuff that he says that pisses us off..I really dont enjoy the HNIC crew other than intermissions. I hate Jim Hughson and obviously Healy's comments are annoying.If Bob Cole isnt going to retire, he has to be doing Leafs games.Stick Hughson on the Canucks as he has a hard on for them.
My hate for Glen Healy has gone down immensely when we were told that he donated over $5000 in equipment to the Pickering Hockey Association. (where my son plays).Healy is a proud member of the area and he does a lot to help minor league hockey.Thanks Glen.Now please stop hating on the Leafs.(or change my perception and be a little more Joe Bowen like):club:
Sorry but I still don't like Healy.

I used to hate Healy. He used to come across so negatively and cynically, and I guess a comment like Reimer faking would fall under that. However, I think he's gotten much better about it in the last couple years, and I don't mind him anymore.

I still see him as the sniveling whiny little biatch who sounded like a puppet of the NHLPA during the lockout. It takes a lot for someone to regain their credibility with me after such a ridiculous run.

My team finally plays tomorrow, against the team that asked me to leave them a few seasons ago, because they were "going in a different direction". LOL. Hope I destroy their soul and injure their ******* captain who kicked me off their DIVISION 10 MEN'S LEAGUE team via text message.