Recreation Hockey League

Now I remember why I should have kept wearing a cage.Adult league game last night, took a stick that went underneath the visor and caught me above the right eye. Thankfully missed the eye but took 4 stitches.To all those "Adult League All-Stars" if you are going to do the chip and spin move at the blue line keep your damn stick down.
In my younger beer league days, I never had a cage on. Just a helmet.Pretty stupid eh.
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

Now I remember why I should have kept wearing a cage.Adult league game last night, took a stick that went underneath the visor and caught me above the right eye. Thankfully missed the eye but took 4 stitches.To all those "Adult League All-Stars" if you are going to do the chip and spin move at the blue line keep your damn stick down.
Where are you playing?
Glad it wasnt more serious...Do a lot of Adults wear cages?
I'd say it's about 50% cages, 25% half shield, and 25% nothing in the leagues I play in. I wore a 1/2 shield for a summer when I was in college and went back to the cage. I've gotten "If you didn't have a cage on, I would kick your ass!" plenty of times to which I reply by taking my helmet off and setting it on the ice. (Yes, I know, dumb....but funny!) One of these times they're not gonna puss out and come after me. :club:

Hockey is over for my son. :)Not sure what we are going to do at 7am on Saturday and Sunday now...

We played our last regular season game last night. We were coming in to the game in 2nd place, but we were playing the first place team. Ironically, we were the last team to beat them, and were 7-1 in our last 8 coming in, so it was a good match up.It was a high scoring affair, back and forth. No team ever had more than a 1 goal lead, in fact, they only had the lead once, at 2-1.It was 4-4 late in the 3rd, I score on a bit of a breakaway after taking a nice bank pass and burning the d-man to the outside, then finishing with the patented fake shot, back hand move, with about 3 minutes left.I go to the bench, they tie it up.I take my next shift, pick up the puck around our own blue line, do a little outside-inside move on the last defenseman, and get a clear cut breakaway, this time I shoot it through the goalie (missed my spot, but it still went in, somehow), and make it 6-5 with about a minute left.I head to the bench, they tie it up again.We burn through the last 45 seconds and take the game to a shootout.First two shooters are stopped.I'm the second shooter for our team. The teams shoot simultaneously to save time, but it's annoying to not know whether you need to score or not, so I take my time getting from the red line to the blue line, I hear the cheers, meaning I know they scored, so I need to score to keep it going, I sprint a little once I get over the blue line to back the goalie up a little. I do my standard fake shot, backhand move. It usually results in an easy empty netter, but he didn't buy the fake as much this time, so I had to elevate it, and I got it upstairs for the tie.They go to a 3rd shooter, both teams score, and we end up with the tie.The tie is enough to secure second place, and a favorable schedule for the upcoming playoffs.Other scorers in the game where Biatch, Slow Deke (x2) and someone else.I ended the regular season with 15gp, 17g, 6a, 21 PIM, leading my team in both goals and PIMs. I also ended up 2nd in the league in terms of goals per game (I missed 5 games for various reasons).I've also played the last 2 and a half games on a sprained ankle, that gets re-tweeked on half of my shifts. I'm a hockey player, dammit.Cannot wait for the playoffs to start!!!!

We played our last regular season game last night. We were coming in to the game in 2nd place, but we were playing the first place team. Ironically, we were the last team to beat them, and were 7-1 in our last 8 coming in, so it was a good match up.It was a high scoring affair, back and forth. No team ever had more than a 1 goal lead, in fact, they only had the lead once, at 2-1.It was 4-4 late in the 3rd, I score on a bit of a breakaway after taking a nice bank pass and burning the d-man to the outside, then finishing with the patented fake shot, back hand move, with about 3 minutes left.I go to the bench, they tie it up.I take my next shift, pick up the puck around our own blue line, do a little outside-inside move on the last defenseman, and get a clear cut breakaway, this time I shoot it through the goalie (missed my spot, but it still went in, somehow), and make it 6-5 with about a minute left.I head to the bench, they tie it up again.We burn through the last 45 seconds and take the game to a shootout.First two shooters are stopped.I'm the second shooter for our team. The teams shoot simultaneously to save time, but it's annoying to not know whether you need to score or not, so I take my time getting from the red line to the blue line, I hear the cheers, meaning I know they scored, so I need to score to keep it going, I sprint a little once I get over the blue line to back the goalie up a little. I do my standard fake shot, backhand move. It usually results in an easy empty netter, but he didn't buy the fake as much this time, so I had to elevate it, and I got it upstairs for the tie.They go to a 3rd shooter, both teams score, and we end up with the tie.The tie is enough to secure second place, and a favorable schedule for the upcoming playoffs.Other scorers in the game where Biatch, Slow Deke (x2) and someone else.I ended the regular season with 15gp, 17g, 6a, 21 PIM, leading my team in both goals and PIMs. I also ended up 2nd in the league in terms of goals per game (I missed 5 games for various reasons).I've also played the last 2 and a half games on a sprained ankle, that gets re-tweeked on half of my shifts. I'm a hockey player, dammit.Cannot wait for the playoffs to start!!!!
Nice game and season, Zach! Sounds like you're having the kind of year that makes the other team whine that you belong in a higher league! :club:

I stole the puck from a dman at the point in a 2-2 game a fired a shot in from the top of the circles as the buzzer was going off for the win a few wks ago.I put my hands up in the air which might have been the most I've ever celebrated an adult league goal. :club:

I stole the puck from a dman at the point in a 2-2 game a fired a shot in from the top of the circles as the buzzer was going off for the win a few wks ago.I put my hands up in the air which might have been the most I've ever celebrated an adult league goal. :club:
lol our games are INTENSE. I celebrate every goal, unless it's already a blow out, especially if it's a meaningful regular season or playoff game.
lol our games are INTENSE. I celebrate every goal, unless it's already a blow out, especially if it's a meaningful regular season or playoff game.
take it easy Ovie, your just playing beer league hockey. how many bodyslams on the glass have you done?eh, Im just jealous. I had a 5pts in my first 2 games in D level, then we got bumped up to C, then B, and I stopped scoring! :(gl in playoffs.

I'd fight you for celebrating. :club: There's a team in our league that has 3-4 players that are 18 or 19 that are pretty good. The youngest guy on our team is probably 30 with the average being late 30s. When they score, they celebrate like it's an NHL playoff goal and it annoys me so much. They all get together and hug and tap each other on the helmet. I usually join in the celebration ring to talk shit on them and tell them what douches they are.When my team scores, unless it's out of hand sick, I turn and skate to line up. When I score, I'll point to someone and say "Nice pass!" and skate to line up.

take it easy Ovie, your just playing beer league hockey. how many bodyslams on the glass have you done?eh, Im just jealous. I had a 5pts in my first 2 games in D level, then we got bumped up to C, then B, and I stopped scoring! :(gl in playoffs.
LOL..... I've gone the other way,.... after junior, I played 'A' and Senior A, and something called summer pro league. At first I scored a ton. Then not so much. Then I dropped down to play B, cos I didn't like how chippy the A was getting. And I scored a ton. Then not so much. These days, I have trouble beating the 6 year old goalie on the tyke team I coach. I don't have #tigerblood.
lol, my celebrations are nothing pre-meditated, just fist pumps, maybe dropping a knee or something. I'm usually too winded to stop in the the huddle with my boys, so i do that, then skate and fist pump them all on my way to the bench. All my goals involve me burning a d-man and scoring on a partial breakaway, so it takes a ton of energy.
LOL..... I've gone the other way,.... after junior, I played 'A' and Senior A, and something called summer pro league. At first I scored a ton. Then not so much. Then I dropped down to play B, cos I didn't like how chippy the A was getting. And I scored a ton.
when we got to B, I started playing with a guy with pretty much same history as you.It was the only time I got pts in B. :)oh, and he was the guy other teams would whine about.
All my goals involve me burning a d-man and scoring on a partial breakaway, so it takes a ton of energy.
I think Ive done that like once in my recent career. I might have celebrated more, but I think I was as shocked as anyone that I just found a higher gear.
I think Ive done that like once in my recent career. I might have celebrated more, but I think I was as shocked as anyone that I just found a higher gear.
Looking at me, everyone is shocked when I find that higher gear, but I can do it a few times a game, usually with positive results, but then I DIE on the bench for a shift or two.
Looking at me, everyone is shocked when I find that higher gear, but I can do it a few times a game, usually with positive results, but then I DIE on the bench for a shift or two.
How do you post normally on here, and like a drunk on twitter..Loving the tweets by the way

lol, I'm on my 6th pint since 7ish, nbd. Been hanging out with these people who are like, whoa, one pint, I'm hammered... I'm like... sick life, you must have lots more money than me...

LOL.Me too. I would score a bit in D level and then going up it dried up. At B, I could not keep up and that was in my younger days.Now I just float around and get off the ice quickly.

My son's houseleague championship game and my league championship game were at the same time on Saturday. I decided to not go to my game and watch my son's game. They won 5-2 but most of the excitement was gone because they coasted pretty much the last 2 periods. Funny thing was that my son also played in the Toronto Catholic division D finals at Ricoh on Friday and they won 2-1. So he was able to celebrate winning 2 championships on 2 different days.At my league game I found out that they won finally after 5 seasons. Rumours are spilling out that the only reason they won is because I did not show up.Hockey for us is now over for the year. Getting ready for soccer and baseball now.

My son's houseleague championship game and my league championship game were at the same time on Saturday.I decided to not go to my game and watch my son's game.
I stopped reading right there. Win Win Win.now I'll go back and read the rest.edit: now that I read the rest, awesome for your son. Thats quite an accomplishment. Enjoy the spoils.

Ninja Turtles are 2-0 in the playoffs after a dramatic and gutsy 2-1 SO win last night. We were severely shorthanded, down to 8 skaters for a time when Biatch got sent off for having an illegal helmet (no chin strap), he came back after 5 mins or so, but we still only had 9 skaters. We played a shut down defensive style. Our lone goal came on a rush where I started back in our slot, and it somehow developed into a 2-1. I fed it over and Jeremy buried it nicely.The Flaming Moes tied it in the final few minutes. We had a chance with a PP late, but missed a couple chances.In the shootout, I shot 2nd, and scored. We had a 1-0 lead going to the final shooters, who both scored.Top 4 of 8 teams make it to the semis, so being 2-0 already is a good start. One more win should be enough, over the next 2 round robin games.

Ninja Turtles are 2-0 in the playoffs after a dramatic and gutsy 2-1 SO win last night. We were severely shorthanded, down to 8 skaters for a time when Biatch got sent off for having an illegal helmet (no chin strap), he came back after 5 mins or so, but we still only had 9 skaters. We played a shut down defensive style. Our lone goal came on a rush where I started back in our slot, and it somehow developed into a 2-1. I fed it over and Jeremy buried it nicely.The Flaming Moes tied it in the final few minutes. We had a chance with a PP late, but missed a couple chances.In the shootout, I shot 2nd, and scored. We had a 1-0 lead going to the final shooters, who both scored.Top 4 of 8 teams make it to the semis, so being 2-0 already is a good start. One more win should be enough, over the next 2 round robin games.
LOL illegal helmet no chin strap??Figures something he would do..For some reason first thing that popped into my head was Bill Derlago...For you younguns you might not get the reference.
  • 1 month later...

My first softball is tonight. Bought a glove this week, but didn't have time to rub oil in it or really work it in much. I have played catch with a hardball a couple times in the past few years (most recently...two years ago?), but that's it for probably 15 years. Haven't swung a bat, played the field, caught a softball, etc.I'm on a team of people randomly put together, in an intermediate league (only one available) against mostly teams who have played together for years.Also, I only ever played SS/3B, but doubt I'm good enough to play those now. I sucked everywhere else.I'm nervous!