Recreation Hockey League

If you shop around you can grab Bauer 150's or something equivalent for 200 or less..... that's all the skate you need right now serge... fit and comfort come first, then buy the best pair you can afford. But you dont need to get into super high end..
Thanks..Gonna go shopping soon.I think what has turned me off skating before is I would go to those places where you rent..My feet would kill me and its not a fun thing..Comfortable skates are important.
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

Thanks..Gonna go shopping soon.I think what has turned me off skating before is I would go to those places where you rent..My feet would kill me and its not a fun thing..Comfortable skates are important.
If you've had problems with uncomfortable skates before, or you have unusual foot shape or size, make sure you get skates that require a baked fit...
If you've had problems with uncomfortable skates before, or you have unusual foot shape or size, make sure you get skates that require a baked fit...
I do..I have flat feet...Its an issue...But this bake fit idea is great and would work great for someone like me.
I do..I have flat feet...Its an issue...But this bake fit idea is great and would work great for someone like me.
I guess this is what I got done on Saturday Serge. Only used it once so far, but it was pretty good, seemed like it helped make it a good fit.Only took like 30mins.
Another thing for breaking in skates that I've done is putting them on while sitting around watching TV or on the computer for a 1/2 hour to an hour.
That works too Tim, except for the weight distribution is different sitting down. If they're baked fit, then it's a great thing to do. But if you're trying to stretch fit skates, your weight needs to be on the skates..
That works too Tim, except for the weight distribution is different sitting down. If they're baked fit, then it's a great thing to do. But if you're trying to stretch fit skates, your weight needs to be on the skates..
I agree the weight on the skates is the best way, but it doesn't hurt to do what I said, IMO.

So after losing our first 8 games, the kids have now won 2 in a row. It really is fun to see them play so much better.We caught a real break last game as the monster of the league who has like 25 goals was the opposition goalie...We totally dominated, got to every puck and won the game 4-1.Funny thing we gave up only ONE shot on the goal the whole game.Adrian continues to improve and have a great time playing hockey. He was commended by the coach because of his great defensive play. So a leading goal scorer with defensive ability..:club:

To the hockey dads: I guess Chris and Wayne mostlyWhats available for summer hockey around the city for kids? I know there are camps, power skating , etcHave your kids played summer hockey?Was also looking at ball hockey leagues and such and havent had success finding stuff for a 6 year old.Last summer we had him in several camps like skating,church camp,gymnastics. He is an active kid so he needs to do stuff,as I dont want him playing xbox all day.Any ideas?

To the hockey dads: I guess Chris and Wayne mostlyWhats available for summer hockey around the city for kids? I know there are camps, power skating , etcHave your kids played summer hockey?Was also looking at ball hockey leagues and such and havent had success finding stuff for a 6 year old.Last summer we had him in several camps like skating,church camp,gymnastics. He is an active kid so he needs to do stuff,as I dont want him playing xbox all day.Any ideas?
There is always summer hockey camps going on all over the city. I use to take my son up to the one on Markham road. I gave that up after thinking why waste a pretty good summer stuck at a rink every week.If you are a bit serious, try power skating lessons. I paid about $1k for a year. Mind you it definitely did help my son's skating, but he still is a bit clumsy on the ice. So he is stuck in houseleague for life. I did see another kid take the powerskating lessons and he is now head and shoulders one of the best skaters in the league.I always remember a hockey instructor telling parents that soccer is a great way to keep at the hockey because of the footwork.
There is always summer hockey camps going on all over the city. I use to take my son up to the one on Markham road. I gave that up after thinking why waste a pretty good summer stuck at a rink every week.If you are a bit serious, try power skating lessons. I paid about $1k for a year. Mind you it definitely did help my son's skating, but he still is a bit clumsy on the ice. So he is stuck in houseleague for life. I did see another kid take the powerskating lessons and he is now head and shoulders one of the best skaters in the league.I always remember a hockey instructor telling parents that soccer is a great way to keep at the hockey because of the footwork.
Everyone who I talk to always mentions power skating. Its a great way to improve skating. I am assuming though its not a "fun" activity like playing games and such. But I know he wants to improve skating for sure.He loves soccer and he will be playing again starting in May..

I absolute hated power skating. I would probably have been a lot better player if I had kept up with it though. Probably the difference between playing A and AA or AAA, since I always had the hands and vision.

I would keep him doing everything else, and maybe send him to a hockey school for a week or two. Kids need time away from hockey, they play WAY too much these days, and play year around. The best players when I was growing up were always the best athletes, and most pro players will tell you the same. Power skating and hockey school for a brief period, but take the summer off...

• 3 weeks later...
anyone ever had a dislocated shoulder? tips for rehab? length of recovery?did it last night at hky. lotta pain, really ugly looking.
that sucks..get better.
anyone ever had a dislocated shoulder? tips for rehab? length of recovery?did it last night at hky. lotta pain, really ugly looking.
Damn Arp sorry to hear this.Yes I had a dislocated shoulder about 13 years ago (right shoulder) playing softball. Hit a pole running home and the pole won. Back then my arm was immobilized for 3 months in a sling. After that I went to therapy for 2 months to do exercises. It freaked me out that I could not lift my arm pass my waist at 1st. Then they stretch it out and after about 2 months I could finally bring it over my head. Now fast forward to today. When I play softball I can't throw with much on it. It is kind of gross. It still hurts a bit when it rains and I don't feel like I have full extension back but I have to live with it I guess.So the best advice I can give is to work it out as soon as you can. The docs advice is that it will pop again in the future especially if I hit my shoulder on something again.Funny thing about the pain, I kept complaining about it to the nurses and then they hit me with 5ccs of some kind of painkiller. I then supposely try to hit on all of the nurses in the ward. I found this out after I woke up. I was told this and I said okay let's get out of here and left the hospital shirtless.
anyone ever had a dislocated shoulder? YES!tips for rehab? length of recovery? REST!did it last night at hky. lotta pain, really ugly looking.
I dislocated mine sliding along the ice trying to take away a cross-ice pass to the front of my net. I got to my knees just in time to hit my left shoulder on the endboards. That was 18 years ago. It still gets tired extremely fast when I lean on it. Good luck.

06 Owen Williams (I3) B & D Awards 0 37 1 38 07 Myles Lopez (I2 ) Brian English Foundation 0 20 6 26 17 Ethan Watt (I2 ) Brian English Foundation 0 14 1 15 15 Chazz Nixon (I2 ) Brian English Foundation 0 12 2 14 05 Declan Forgie (I1) Dr Marvin Lean 0 12 2 14 12 Jack Good (I2 ) Brian English Foundation 0 10 3 13 08 Ryan Smith (I1) Dr Marvin Lean 0 10 2 12 09 Adam Jackman (I1) Dr Marvin Lean 0 8 1 9 15 Adrian Bogosyan (I4) The Pickering Markets 0 8 0 8 Top 9 goal scorers in Adrian's league...He has no assists...Pure goal scorer :)The Top kid is pretty ridicolous, huge kid that dominates..The kid in second is tiny, but he scored 3 goals against us last game, ALL highlight quality..Sidney Crosby has nothing on this kid..

Those are some unusual names. I really like the nam Owen. Chazz is just cruel. Ethan and Myles are cool names, though I wouldn't choose them myself. Declan Forgie will be famous, though probably not for hockey.Jack Good. Um. Awesome.

Those are some unusual names. I really like the nam Owen. Chazz is just cruel. Ethan and Myles are cool names, though I wouldn't choose them myself. Declan Forgie will be famous, though probably not for hockey.Jack Good. Um. Awesome.
Jack Good is the shortest kid in the league, but the kid can skate..Its a great name for a hockey player, but a better name for a field goal kicker.Today Adrian turns 6 , and Brian Burke called this morning to wish him a happy birthday. He said 2023 is around the corner and the scouts have been watching.He mentioned the timeframe works well with the Leafs, as its right around the time Hall of Famer Joe Colborne will be ready to give up his role as number one centre on the Leafs to Adrian. I told Brian we would love to work with him to come to terms on a long term contract. He said we will see how the draft works out will iron out the details later. He said he is happy with the truculence that Adrian showed in his games.

If you guys were serious about getting some ice time, there are a couple available in the next week or ten days.... March 5 at 4 PM at Hershey Centre is prolly a good one...

Much more awesome if his actual name was Johnny and his middle name started with a B.

A little update on my progress. I've skated for 3 stick and puck sessions. The first two sessions was before my skates were properly sharpened. The guy that sharpens them was actually there after my 2nd session so I left them for him and picked them up before session #3. It made quite a difference. I can turn a lot sharpen now.The last two sessions included little half ice pickup games. I'm pretty decent handling/shooting but I really can't quite figure out the hockey stop. I know it's really not an ability thing, it's just a confidence thing. Session #4 is today so hopefully I can make some progress. Unfortunately they'll be melting the ice at the end of March and it won't be back till the Fall. Hopefully I can get a few more stick and puck sessions and maybe even try a drop-in game or two before it's gone. Otherwise I believe I have to drive an hour south to the closest rink.