Toronto Raptors Fanclub

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Toronto Raptors ‏@Raptors · 18m Game 5 of #Raptors - Nets was highest-ever TV audience for NBA game in CAN! Averaged 968,000 viewers/ min & over 4 million fans watched #RTZ

• 1 month later...
Bob,How bad is it? I havent had much chances to watch. Would like an honest+informed opinion.Thanks
Their start has been a little worse than I expected but not much. The Raptors are one of the many not very good teams in the East and I thought before the season started that they'd win between 25-35 games and I still think that.They're trying and seem to still have a good attitude but for teams like the Raptors to win everything has to go right and they can't lapse. So far they've let a few things lapse and are a bit banged up which combined with a really tough early season schedule means they aren't winning.The biggest problem I think they have is that they don't have anybody who can break down the opposition off the dribble at the end of a close game when you need to get important points. They have a lot of athletic guys who can get out and run but when the game gets close in the half court they really struggle.
Their start has been a little worse than I expected but not much. The Raptors are one of the many not very good teams in the East and I thought before the season started that they'd win between 25-35 games and I still think that.They're trying and seem to still have a good attitude but for teams like the Raptors to win everything has to go right and they can't lapse. So far they've let a few things lapse and are a bit banged up which combined with a really tough early season schedule means they aren't winning.The biggest problem I think they have is that they don't have anybody who can break down the opposition off the dribble at the end of a close game when you need to get important points. They have a lot of athletic guys who can get out and run but when the game gets close in the half court they really struggle.
Can DeRozan become that guy?Hows Bargnani looking? Any better?

In my opinion, they aren't going to get any better with Reggie Evans starting. I think Amir Johnson plays that position WAY better. Evans is a good rebounder, but it ends there. At least Amir can score the odd layup.That, and Sonny Weems needs to play more. The guy is probably their best dribble penetrator. His jump shot is fairly streaky, but he's getting a lot better. There was a point at the end of last season where I thought he was their best player. He has the potential to be really good if he got consistent minutes.I'm going to my first Raptors game next Friday. I'm pretty pumped.

Can DeRozan become that guy?Hows Bargnani looking? Any better?
DeRozan isn't a very good ball handler yet and that's holding back his dribble penetration.Bargnani has added more of an inside game to his offense but he still runs out of gas late in games and is a poor rebounder and help defender. He does have offensive skills that are pretty unique on a mobile 7 footer.
In my opinion, they aren't going to get any better with Reggie Evans starting. I think Amir Johnson plays that position WAY better. Evans is a good rebounder, but it ends there. At least Amir can score the odd layup.That, and Sonny Weems needs to play more. The guy is probably their best dribble penetrator. His jump shot is fairly streaky, but he's getting a lot better. There was a point at the end of last season where I thought he was their best player. He has the potential to be really good if he got consistent minutes.I'm going to my first Raptors game next Friday. I'm pretty pumped.
Reggie is horrible at everything a basketball player needs to be able to do except for rebound. Amir is a far better player but he is just so foul prone. Last night against Orlando he was playing great but only for 16 minutes of floor time since he fouled out. I'm hoping once Ed Davis is healthy that Reggie's minutes are taken way back or that they can trade him to somebody since he does have an expiring contract.I think Sonny has a chance to be a pretty good player. He needs to work on his offensive decision making, he can hoist up some shots too quickly but overall I like his game a lot.That's the Rockets game right ?I should be at that one too.
Bargnani was intriguing Saturday night. Raps play no defense though.
Barney can look great for stretches on offense especially early in games but he seems to run out of gas at the end of the game and his performance on the second half of back to backs is usually much worse. I thought he had a pretty poor game against The Heat.There's nobody on the Raptors who'll make you think of Bill Russell on defense that's for sure. Nipsey Russell playing defense maybe.
I thought he had a pretty poor game against The Heat.
oh he had a bad game but he can hit tough shots and do some things. only guy on their team who can at this point.

Is it as simple as saying Bargnani has just always refused to work hard, especially off the court? I get the impression he's just always never been in very good shape. Its kinda depressing that even after Bosh has left, and its more of a team, that we still have a weak D.

Is it as simple as saying Bargnani has just always refused to work hard, especially off the court? I get the impression he's just always never been in very good shape. Its kinda depressing that even after Bosh has left, and its more of a team, that we still have a weak D.
It isn't always about hard work some people just don't have the stamina. Some people are sprinters and some are marathon runners.One aspect of the Raptors defense has been a lot better this year and that's rebounding. Bosh as Miami is finding out isn't that good of a rebounder even if he's been averaging over 10 per game. Johnson and Evans are better rebounders than Bosh and guys like Weems or Kleiza are better rebounders than Turk.The Raptors are never going to be a great defensive team. Jack and Calderon are poor at stopping other point guards from penetrating and Barney is poor at help defense. That being said they have had some pretty good defensive games and I think they're a bit better than last year but still poor.
DeRozan isn't a very good ball handler yet and that's holding back his dribble penetration.Bargnani has added more of an inside game to his offense but he still runs out of gas late in games and is a poor rebounder and help defender. He does have offensive skills that are pretty unique on a mobile 7 footer.Reggie is horrible at everything a basketball player needs to be able to do except for rebound. Amir is a far better player but he is just so foul prone. Last night against Orlando he was playing great but only for 16 minutes of floor time since he fouled out. I'm hoping once Ed Davis is healthy that Reggie's minutes are taken way back or that they can trade him to somebody since he does have an expiring contract.I think Sonny has a chance to be a pretty good player. He needs to work on his offensive decision making, he can hoist up some shots too quickly but overall I like his game a lot.That's the Rockets game right ?I should be at that one too.
ya, Sonny can drink you crazy watching the shots he puts up but I remember thinking the same thing about a young Kobe. If Sonny can even become a poor man's Kobe then that could be great for the team. I really don't mind the Raptors sucking this year if it means a great draft pick and growth among the current young core.

Simmons bashes the Raps GM:Colangelo had a choice between paying Beasley $11 million for two years (with a qualifying offer of $8.1 million in 2012-13) or signing Amir Johnson for $34 million for five years ... and chose Johnson!? Did he suffer a head injury right before the 2006 draft and not tell us? I'm dumping Kahn for Colangelo as this season's GM Whipping Boy. He didn't just ruin the Raptors these past four years; he shoved them down the stairs, beat them to death with a baseball bat and buried them in a sanitation site.

Simmons bashes the Raps GM:Colangelo had a choice between paying Beasley $11 million for two years (with a qualifying offer of $8.1 million in 2012-13) or signing Amir Johnson for $34 million for five years ... and chose Johnson!? Did he suffer a head injury right before the 2006 draft and not tell us? I'm dumping Kahn for Colangelo as this season's GM Whipping Boy. He didn't just ruin the Raptors these past four years; he shoved them down the stairs, beat them to death with a baseball bat and buried them in a sanitation site.
Taking Beasley and signing Johnson are 2 different things. If Colangelo wanted Beasley he still could have signed Johnson he just wouldn't have signed Kleiza. The Raptors needed to sign a big man and their choice was Johnson. I like Amir and if he ever learns to stop fouling and can stay on the floor he'll be worth that contract.You can bash Colangelo for a lot of things but every team could have had Beasley and nobody wanted him. We'll see how he ends up but he's had a good couple weeks.

Are we aiming to be the all-Euro team?According to Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com, the Raptors and New Orleans Hornets have agreed in principle to a five-player trade that would see Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless shipped to Toronto for Jarrett Jack, David Andersen and Marcus Banks.Bob: Good or Bad?

Are we aiming to be the all-Euro team?According to Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com, the Raptors and New Orleans Hornets have agreed in principle to a five-player trade that would see Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless shipped to Toronto for Jarrett Jack, David Andersen and Marcus Banks.Bob: Good or Bad?
Peja has no value as a player but is a big expiring contract. He's also Serbian and that might sell a few more tickets to the large Serbian population in Toronto.This trade really comes down to the Raptors trading Jack for Bayless. Jack is what he is and isn't going to get any better and I think they hope that Bayless has some upside as a younger player with a smaller contract. Jack really hasn't played well this year and his defense seems to be regressing. Calderon has always run the offense better than he has and there are reports that as much as Jack plays the public team player card he gets moody when he doesn't think he's getting enough minutes.Moving Andersen frees up minutes for Ed Davis now that he's close to healthy. If Davis is going to get minutes than Andersen wouldn't be and he isn't part of the long term or even next year's plans for the Raptors.Quick analysis, it saves the Raptors a couple million in cap space next year and they get younger and hope Bayless blossoms.Peja shouldn't be part of the rotation and should be behind Weems and Kleiza at the SF spot.From the Hornets side they get a veteran to back up Paul in Jack. Also Jack and Paul are good friends. Andersen is a useful big man for a team like NO as a back up off the bench who can hit outside shots and playing with Paul he'll get some open looks.

Really entertaining win over the Celtics.They really battled hard and were aggressive all game and out rebounded The Celtics and went to the line 39 times.Barney with 29 points being guarded by Garnett and Amir 17 and 11 off the bench including 9 for 9 freethrows.If Amir can ever stop fouling and can stay on the floor for at least 25-30 minutes per game he can be really valuable.

So 4 wins in a row.Over those 4 games Barney has averaged over 27 points per game.Fun team to cheer for as they hustle a lot and there really aren't any assholes.My prediction of 25-35 wins on the season still stands.

Peja has no value as a player but is a big expiring contract. He's also Serbian and that might sell a few more tickets to the large Serbian population in Toronto.This trade really comes down to the Raptors trading Jack for Bayless. Jack is what he is and isn't going to get any better and I think they hope that Bayless has some upside as a younger player with a smaller contract. Jack really hasn't played well this year and his defense seems to be regressing. Calderon has always run the offense better than he has and there are reports that as much as Jack plays the public team player card he gets moody when he doesn't think he's getting enough minutes.Moving Andersen frees up minutes for Ed Davis now that he's close to healthy. If Davis is going to get minutes than Andersen wouldn't be and he isn't part of the long term or even next year's plans for the Raptors.Quick analysis, it saves the Raptors a couple million in cap space next year and they get younger and hope Bayless blossoms.Peja shouldn't be part of the rotation and should be behind Weems and Kleiza at the SF spot.From the Hornets side they get a veteran to back up Paul in Jack. Also Jack and Paul are good friends. Andersen is a useful big man for a team like NO as a back up off the bench who can hit outside shots and playing with Paul he'll get some open looks.
hey bob, are the Raps hurting for ticket sales? maybe I should invest in some lifetime seasons tickets if there's such a thing...even tho I don't live in Toronto anymore I'd love to have the option of watching any game when I come visit.losing Reggie is gonna hurt...he basically allowed Bargs to suck on rebounds. we could all focus on how good Andrea is on scoring. but now the losses will pile up again and RaptorLand fans will go back to how bad he is at rebounding. u can blame me for the injury. I added Reggie on my fantasy team which pretty much ensures something terrible will happen to that player that week :club:
hey bob, are the Raps hurting for ticket sales? maybe I should invest in some lifetime seasons tickets if there's such a thing...even tho I don't live in Toronto anymore I'd love to have the option of watching any game when I come visit.losing Reggie is gonna hurt...he basically allowed Bargs to suck on rebounds. we could all focus on how good Andrea is on scoring. but now the losses will pile up again and RaptorLand fans will go back to how bad he is at rebounding. u can blame me for the injury. I added Reggie on my fantasy team which pretty much ensures something terrible will happen to that player that week :club:
Attendance is down and they're only going sell out games against teams like The Lakers, Heat etc.Sunday vs Atlanta for example attendance was 17,300 and a midweek game against a team that isn't a draw is getting in the 15,000 region.Reggie's contribution in my opinion has been greatly overvalued. A lot of his defensive rebounds he literally takes from the hands of other Raptors. His one NBA skill is rebounding but his lack of other skills in my opinion hurt the team more than his rebounding helps. Joey Dorsey can play that Reggie roll beter than Reggie. He's actually averaging more rebounds per minute than Reggie is and while not being a polished offensive player he has great hops and can finish at the rim. Reggie is a great rebounder but sucks at everything else and he's really dumb.