Play Your Best Game.

I know that the population of FCP isn't as large as it once was, but hopefully this can help a select few.For a long time during my poker career I focused on games that were not my best. Sometimes I was a favorite, sometimes I wasn't. That isn't the best strategy. Recenly I learned that some of my friends and poker students were now focusing and primarily playing in other games besides the ones that got them to where they are today. The reason for this is simple. We all get bored and want new challenges. But please remember, poker is supposed to be fun, however it is a game that rewards superior play. Just because you are a favorite in your chosen game at one limit, does not mean you will be a favorite in another game at the same limit. So be smart. While you are learning and adjusting to the newer game, play smaller, play in tournaments, etc. I think most people should learn how to play all games well. Just don't do it at the expense of your own bankroll.

I'm gonna extrapolate a little bit here, if Steve doesn't mind...If you begin feeling overwhelmed at a particular limit after a few sessions, don't be afraid of the pride hit of moving back down. Don't subject yourself to the "have to fight through this" mentality, you can drop back and get your confidence back, as well as keep your bankroll stable if you're playing it a little dicey. Improve what leaks you found at that higher level and you'll be more profitable in both the lower one and the higher one.My first times in $27 and $36 SNGs I got hit hard, but for a couple weeks didn't want to drop down because I was just starting there. However, there were a few players I had become very wary of and wasn't confident that I had any edge at all (DenverSports comes to mind). Eventually I dropped back down for a couple weeks, worked on leaks, and came back and found an edge again. Results improved drastically.Don't take your first beating at the higher level and then say they're just too good, though. Take note of how you were exploited, work on those leaks back at the lower level you were at before, then re-attack it with a new outlook on your game. It can do wonders.

the idea of having like a "home" game is very useful. this is a game and limit that you are very comfortable at that you crush. this is what you play to make money. branching out and diversifying yourself is always a good idea but you should still spend most of your time playing here.

If you are in college, stay there until you finish.If you have a full time job, keep it.Play poker for fun and/or as a side pursuit unless you are very good and have very good people around you to help you succeed.imo

If you are in college, stay there until you finish.If you have a full time job, keep it.Play poker for fun and/or as a side pursuit until you are retired at a young age and money comes out of your butt so you just don't care anymore WOOTimo
Fed your P
If you are in college, stay there until you finish.If you have a full time job, keep it.Play poker for fun and/or as a side pursuit unless you are very good and have very good people around you to help you succeed.imo
this is way the hell true. you can always drop out of school and quit your job tomorrow. the same is not necessarily true for the reverse.
Booooooring......
Fed your P
:club: working for 36 years and getting a pension for life sure helps with the variance.
Booooooring......
So is sitting broke in your Mom's spare bedroom.Tell him the rest of the sad story Steve, you know, about how less than 5% are consistent winners at the end of the year, etc.I'm not saying don't play. Not at all. This is one of the greatest games ever.Just be smart about it, what ever that means for you and your situation.
It's 99.99% luck... especially online where my KK vs ACE RAG always busts.....
can you PM me your AIM so i can send you all my bad beats

lol^ dont have aim but I can imagine... I dont know man, I hate on poker a lot, but deep down, it's like self hatred... I hate myself for spending so much time chasing a diseased dream... Poker is an addiction for some(myself included) and a game to others... If I never gambled, I could have a boat in my driveway....but instead I'm broke, boatless, and I still gamble LOL

lol^ dont have aim but I can imagine... I dont know man, I hate on poker a lot, but deep down, it's like self hatred... I hate myself for spending so much time chasing a diseased dream... Poker is an addiction for some(myself included) and a game to others... If I never gambled, I could have a boat in my driveway....but instead I'm broke, boatless, and I still gamble LOL
It would probably be a good start to take your thumbs out of your ears when someone gives you some good poker advice. Unfortunately, since you haven't taken them out yet, my advice will probably ––excuse the pun–– fall on deaf ears.

Steve does have a good point, when I play stud, my Roi and bank roll goes up big time, as I cash well playing stud but of course I go off into nlhe my other favorite game and there goes the Roi and the bankroll. Playing live I am fine but on line nlhe just kills me.I keep proving that point, stayed away from stud over a month, went back yesterday and placed 1st again as always I seem to do great in stud Hi and stud h/l. I done that a few times and just don't learn to stay out of the other games as I want to up and improve my playing level in all the games especially nlhe and horse. when I play Nlhe, I get into trouble, had some good tournaments but not like I do in stud. 2 weeks ago I did well in the daily 40k, almost Ft it. and I do okay in my private game but for me that's not enough. It's the will power to stay out of those games or learn, to bring up that level of play. That's were coaching comes in handy I suppose.

$200 boat?
$200 boat?