I like ND, I think its a much more intelligent and interesting movie than hangover. Curious why you ask though; doesn't seem to me that they are similar kinds of movies at all.
They aren't similar movies...that's why I asked. I loved The Hangover and hated Napoleon Dynamite. I was wondering if there was a correlation of some sort.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't similar movies...that's why I asked. I loved The Hangover and hated Napoleon Dynamite. I was wondering if there was a correlation of some sort.
Did you see The Hangover pre-hype but Napoleon Dynamite post-hype?

FWIW, I actually turned ND off the first time I watched it cause I thought it was so bad. I gave it a 2nd chance and have now probably seen it 5 times or so and it cracks me up. I couldn't appreciate the awesomeness the first time.

• 9 months later...

May 26th release date.The trailer looks pretty awesome ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYL_T7f59o8It is pretty amazing as it appears they stuck with the EXACT SAME formula that worked so well in the first movie and just changed a few details such as location. I mean the trailer makes the movie look nearly identical to the first one.With that being said, I'm definitely in and still expect it to be hilarious.

There is no reason to make a sequel to a comedy that has no story elements whatsover. It's only about gags so why write a movie that is bound to be heavily critized due to the success of the original. Same cast, different theme and characters would have been just as good without dealing with the pointless comparaisons.

This is clearly a divisive movie. SOme people laughed, some didn't. Enough laughed for the movie to make shitpiles of money, so they made another one. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and I can guarantee this movie will be a lot better than that shitstain of a movie with Sandler, Spade, the Mall Cop guy, etc...I saw that turd on a plane and I still carry the mental scars from it. That, and Letters to Juliet. Man, am I ever looking forward to site-to-site transporter devices.

This is clearly a divisive movie. SOme people laughed, some didn't. Enough laughed for the movie to make shitpiles of money, so they made another one. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and I can guarantee this movie will be a lot better than that shitstain of a movie with Sandler, Spade, the Mall Cop guy, etc...I saw that turd on a plane and I still carry the mental scars from it. That, and Letters to Juliet. Man, am I ever looking forward to site-to-site transporter devices.
oh hi33681542993492563.jpg
This is clearly a divisive movie.
I'd actually argue that this is one of the more universally loved comedies, among the general public, to be released in the last 10 years.I haven't met anybody outside of the internet who didn't enjoy it.
There is no reason to make a sequel to a comedy that has no story elements whatsover. It's only about gags so why write a movie that is bound to be heavily critized due to the success of the original. Same cast, different theme and characters would have been just as good without dealing with the pointless comparaisons.
I'll assume that is a rhetorical question, as the reasons for making a sequel are pretty darn obvious.
There is no reason to make a sequel to a comedy that has no story elements whatsover.
How so? I think aside from the well defined characters that a huge reason for the success was that the entire concept was fairly unique. In fact I don't know anyone in real life that didn't like the movie and that covers a pretty wide age range.I remember reading when they first started talking about a sequel Todd Phillips saying he thought he could take the three main characters and put them anywhere/in anything and it would be funny but I think it was important to stick as close as they could to the original format. I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as the first but am looking forward to seeing it.
I haven't met anybody outside of the internet who didn't enjoy it.
In fact I don't know anyone in real life that didn't like the movie and that covers a pretty wide age range.
Why are we making this distinction between real life and internet? I "know" a lot more people on this forum that have seen it and have an opinion on it than I do in real life. (In real life I know one person who really didn't like it.)
Why are we making this distinction between real life and internet? I "know" a lot more people on this forum that have seen it and have an opinion on it than I do in real life. (In real life I know one person who really didn't like it.)
I'd say the subset of movie watchers that also post regularly on forums in which movies are discussed critically (including this forum), are far more critical and jaded when it comes to movies than the average person that I know in real life.
I'd say the subset of movie watchers that also post regularly on forums in which movies are discussed critically (including this forum), are far more critical and jaded when it comes to movies than the average person that I know in real life.
Same for nobody in real life liked NCFOM but the internet snobs all think it was amazing?
I'd actually argue that this is one of the more universally loved comedies, among the general public, to be released in the last 10 years.I haven't met anybody outside of the internet who didn't enjoy it.
It's just easier to make a strong negative statement about a movie a lot of people really like on the internet. I know plenty of people, myself included, who would say "meh, I didn't love it, but whatever" in real life but "I was incredibly disappointed and think people got way caught up in the hype in regard to a movie that was just a series of kind of dumb gags" online.
Same for nobody in real life liked NCFOM but the internet snobs all think it was amazing?
yup.Also, ask 10 random people on the street if they liked Boondock Saints, and you'll get a much different response than if I put a poll up in here.
I'd say this is probably true of movie forums, but not really for forums like this.
It's just easier to make a strong negative statement about a movie a lot of people really like on the internet.
This makes more sense to me, which would mean internet opinions are a better indicator of how well a sequel will do, which I'm not sure if that's even what we were talking about, but regardless it would still mean it would do well because I think most people on here have said they liked it a lot. Long sentence.
Also, ask 10 random people on the street if they liked Boondock Saints, and you'll get a much different response than if I put a poll up in here.
Did somebody say poll?
It's just easier to make a strong negative statement about a movie a lot of people really like on the internet. I know plenty of people, myself included, who would say "meh, I didn't love it, but whatever" in real life but "I was incredibly disappointed and think people got way caught up in the hype in regard to a movie that was just a series of kind of dumb gags" online.
Obviously everybody's group of acquaintences is going to vary a lot, but I honestly don't know if I have heard anybody tell me that they didn't like the Hangover. I've pretty much heard only adoration from everybody. This covers a pretty broad range of people, from 14 year old kids, to hockey moms/dads, to middle aged retirees, to mid 20's early 30's folk.Although, to be fair, the internet provides a stage for people to express their dislike. I'm sure most people who didn't like the Hangover probably just wouldn't bring it up in conversation in real life.
This makes more sense to me, which would mean internet opinions are a better indicator of how well a sequel will do, which I'm not sure if that's even what we were talking about, but regardless it would still mean it would do well because I think most people on here have said they liked it a lot. Long sentence.
I'm sure the sequel will do very well...I'm well aware that I'm in the minority in that I thought the first one was just ok.
Did somebody say poll?
I'd say no, but what are the odds that would stop you?Now that's a good poll question.
Obviously everybody's group of acquaintences is going to vary a lot, but I honestly don't know if I have heard anybody tell me that they didn't like the Hangover. I've pretty much heard only adoration from everybody. This covers a pretty broad range of people, from 14 year old kids, to hockey moms/dads, to middle aged retirees, to mid 20's early 30's folk.Although, to be fair, the internet provides a stage for people to express their dislike. I'm sure most people who didn't like the Hangover probably just wouldn't bring it up in conversation in real life.
Well, I'm also overstating it...I didn't dislike the movie, I just think it was overrated, and I've heard that opinion elsewhere. I'm not sure I've heard anyone say they actively hated it, but I guess I'm just disagreeing with it being one of the most universally loved comedies of the past 10 years. Although I'm probably wrong.You know what, I should watch it again. Maybe I was just in a weird mood.
You know what, I should watch it again. Maybe I was just in a weird mood.
Jubi, Guapo, strategy, and I are all in the "not that funny" camp.I think part of it depends on when you saw it. I didn't see it until after it had been immensely hyped up and I might have been expecting too much.
I watched half of it and lost interest. I don't know. I shouldn't comment, but here we are.
I miss strategy. :(Edit: Extremely positive posts about it here.
Edit: Extremely positive posts about it here.
I just...even those comments aren't the type that would make me excited to see a movie. It's pretty much a series of "lol awesome movie lol" without much substance, from a list of posters that probably also think Entourage is one of the best shows ever (Dubey, you seem pretty rational, which is why I think I'll give the movie another shot). I feel like it's just stupid douchey humor done very well, which is fine but in my opinion not the stuff of legend, so all the acclaim surprises me. And the previous sentence is a good example of something I'd never say in person to someone who really liked the movie because I wouldn't want to offend them and/or their taste in movies. I'm not sure if it's good or bad to treat an online forum differently, but I think it feels more acceptable because it's obvious that I'm not trying to attack anyone in particular, just giving my own opinion.

on a forum people give a more considered opinion. in a live setting you can't ask everyone discussing the movie to please talk one at a time, and be quiet when it isn't their turn to give the next person space to organize their thoughts.it would probably be useful to occasionally go off on a more rambly in-depth opinion in a live setting. just remember that that unpopular opinion on a forum gets you flamed/trolled. live it can get you a punch in the nose.go!

I just...even those comments aren't the type that would make me excited to see a movie. It's pretty much a series of "lol awesome movie lol" without much substance, from a list of posters that probably also think Entourage is one of the best shows ever (Dubey, you seem pretty rational, which is why I think I'll give the movie another shot). I feel like it's just stupid douchey humor done very well, which is fine but in my opinion not the stuff of legend, so all the acclaim surprises me. And the previous sentence is a good example of something I'd never say in person to someone who really liked the movie because I wouldn't want to offend them and/or their taste in movies. I'm not sure if it's good or bad to treat an online forum differently, but I think it feels more acceptable because it's obvious that I'm not trying to attack anyone in particular, just giving my own opinion.
The bolded isn't far from the truth, I guess. But it does what it does really, really well, in my opinion. I don't think it is the greatest movie ever, but I really enjoyed it, and still do, for what it is. I thought each character was well defined, and really hilarious in their own way, and it wasn't always really obvious, hit you over the head with it kind of humour. There were a few scenes that ventured into the farrely brothers realm, and lessened the experience for me. In particular, I thought the scene in the Police station with the tasers was terrible, But overall, I thought the interplay between the leads was hilarious, and very well written, and I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed the way the movie was structured, and it is one of those movies that I find myself quoting when hanging out with buddies, and laughing about a lot, which is always the sign of a great comedy for me.I only have measured excitement for the sequel, as there's not too much they can do without it feeling like a retread, and I fear that Zach G's act has been a little played out in the last two years, and it might get a little tiresome, but we will see.