Disappointed With Wsop Segregation

Why couldn't you? What part of "works hard enough" do you not grasp? I never said you can make a wish and it will come true, I said you have to work for it. What exactly is so impossible about that for you?I never said you could be Phil Ivey, I said you could be good at poker. You're putting a lot of words in my mouth.
This thread is about being able to watch the big name pros play in high buy in tournaments. You then replied with something along the lines of you don't understand these fanboys. Anybody can do this if they work hard enough. If you had said anybody could become a winning player with the right instruction and proper dedication then I would have said nothing. But when this thread is about big name professional poker players, I have an issue with you saying that nobody should want to go watch them play in person because anybody could do what they do. Very few people can ever come close to the success they have achieved.I'm not putting any words in your mouth. I couldn't fit them past the foot that is already in there.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure I agree with Kurt.Almost anyone can do it, unless they are women obv, they need special events to have a chance to succeed. hof
I lol'd
Yes, exactly. You don't have to be special to be good at poker, it's a game, it can be taught. I've seen a lot of people go from bad to amazing. Some people don't have time or patience, but it's not impossible to get good if you really want to. Not to mention a lot of people have the ability to play for a living, and choose not to.And don't worry, I don't need your respect.
Have you ever heard of Mark Price? He certainly wasn't born with amazing athletic ability but he became one of the greatest point guards in the NBA. For every Mark Price who puts in thousands of hours of sweat and tears practicing at WHATEVER they do, tens of thousands of people fail. No matter how much they practice.
Um, does your friend realize there's a huge spectators entrance to the amazon room? Because there's a 12 foot wide banner that says "spectators entrance", and extremely easy access to the 4 featured tables in the amazon room for spectators. Last week they even lined up the last 4-5 tables of the $10K LHE event ALONG THE RAIL for spectators, even though they could have easily given the players more space and privacy elsewhere in the room.They have to have two rooms to make it easier to manage events. There can easily be 4-5 events running at one time. The ones that are on days 2-3 can be contained in smaller sections in the amazon while the current days events that have tons of active breaking and movement can be handled in the pavilion room without disturbing the deep events. I genuinely have no idea how you would propose to make things more accessible. Like looshle said, almost all day 1s start in the pavilion and move to amazon for day 2+. Cash games are also in pavilion. When I played cash at the rio last sunday, I took a break and walked right up and watched a 25-50-100 PLO game with mike mizrachi, vanessa selbst, etc from a few feet away. Does your friend want to force the WSOP to make pros play in the $200 tournaments with him?
This...I have never been but I was pretty sure they wouldn't just shut people out of the Amazon room or else all the pictures I've seen of pros that spectators have taken prove that the security at the Rio is god-awful.
This thread is about being able to watch the big name pros play in high buy in tournaments. You then replied with something along the lines of you don't understand these fanboys. Anybody can do this if they work hard enough. If you had said anybody could become a winning player with the right instruction and proper dedication then I would have said nothing. But when this thread is about big name professional poker players, I have an issue with you saying that nobody should want to go watch them play in person because anybody could do what they do.I'm not putting any words in your mouth. I couldn't fit them past the foot that is already in there.
That's exactly what I said. Sorry you didn't like the wording.
Pretty sure I agree with Kurt.Almost anyone can do it, unless they are women obv, they need special events to have a chance to succeed. hof
Shit, I was about to post that actually.
That's exactly what I said. Sorry you didn't like the wording.
I'm no longer going to argue with you. I made my point and that definitely wasn't what you said.
I railed Kurt at a garbage can kicking contest once...he's pretty damn good.
That's natural talent though, I never even practiced. I recently tried it with the infamous couch, my toenail is kinda black now. Stick with the garbage cans imo.

This has turned into an interesting topic.On some level, I have always thought that it was silly to be a "fan" of any single poker player. But in all fairness, it's more complicated. If you are a recreational player, and you watch someone on TV having quite a bit of success, it's only natural to admire that person. Not only because they are in the publics eye. But it gives a person something to look forward to. If I work hard, I too can do that. From the outside, it looks like a pretty amazing lifestyle. And on some levels, it is.One thing that Kurt missed is talent vs hard work. You can work incredibly hard, but you still might lack talent. And vice versa. If having fans will put more money back into poker in general, I'm all for it.I will say that it can be pretty ironic who certain people admire. Sometimes that guy that you look up to is pretty shady, or pretty broke. Not everything is what it appears to be in the poker world.....

You're right, I should stop assuming that people are capable of realizing that not everything I say is 100% set in stone, and when I say everyone, obviously that's never the case for anything. My mistake.
Lemme guess, you've also been drinking Kurt?
It's just different for me because anyone can do this if they work enough at it. I mean, I find it a little silly in all instances, but it's a little different for athletes because it's extremely hard to do that professionally. You have to be pretty elite. I just think it's different to be a poker fan, and to be a fanboy.I wouldn't say I look down on them, because people are that way about just about everything you possibly could be, but in general I just don't really get it.
Why does being successful at something mean you don't want to see someone who is more successful? If you made a healthy nickel throwing darts you would never be interested in seeing a championship?Even if you're not good at it, having the desire to see an elite player in their element doesn't make you a "fanboy." I have absolutely no interest in nascar but if I happened to be in Daytona and had a free shot to go see the 500 I'd take it. One doesn't have to be a fanboy to appreciate excellence. They just have to not be a condescending douche.
Why does being successful at something mean you don't want to see someone who is more successful? If you made a healthy nickel throwing darts you would never be interested in seeing a championship?Even if you're not good at it, having the desire to see an elite player in their element doesn't make you a "fanboy." I have absolutely no interest in nascar but if I happened to be in Daytona and had a free shot to go see the 500 I'd take it. One doesn't have to be a fanboy to appreciate excellence. They just have to not be a condescending douche.
What you're describing about darts would be a poker fan. That's not the same as what I mean when I say fanboy. I mean someone who goes to the WSOP just to see certain players in person and then gets all excited about it. Everyone here is a fan of the game, and enjoys to see it played well, but that's not what I'm talking about. Not that you can really go to the WSOP and see much anyway, unless you're in the final table area, and even then you don't know the cards. But the original thread was about spectators not being able to catch a glimpse of their favorite player during the higher limit events. That's a completely different thing than being a fan of the game and wanting to see good players play it.I really didn't know I had to define fanboy or I would have.
Why, cause it's not good for the game? It's just my general opinion in a vacuum. Not everything has to be extrapolated to poker as a whole. It doesn't even have to be limited to poker. But to think of poker players as celebrities and treat them as such is silly to me. They just play poker. We all do.
This seems to me to entirely miss the point of what it means to be a celebrity. People are attracted to celebrities simply because they are famous. There are many poker players who are famous because they are on TV. People always like to see famous people in person, regardless of why they are famous. They have social value. It really has nothing to do with doing something special that we couldn't all do.

What's the difference between a poker player who is a fan of Tom Dwan wanting to see him at the WSOP or a golfer who is a fan of Tiger Woods wanting to see him at the US Open? Tom Dwan is just another poker player, but he's one of the most successful players in the world. Tiger Woods is just another golfer, but he's one of the most successful golfers in the world. You say anyone can be a pro poker player if they tried hard enough, but you could say the same thing about the golfer. If he worked as hard as his hero Tiger Woods did, maybe he would have been out there winning the US Open today.

Daniel's latest Tweet20 June 2010, 7:56 pmRealKidPoker: Some woman just asked me to sign her tramp stamp area. She's going to get a tattoo there to surprise her husband

Daniel's latest Tweet20 June 2010, 7:56 pmRealKidPoker: Some woman just asked me to sign her tramp stamp area. She's going to get a tattoo there to surprise her husband
Exactly my point!
You don't think poker players are worthy of being celebrities but like VB points out they are.
I think celebrities in general are silly, but poker players more so.

If you want to rail a well-known pro you can do that no problem at this yrs wsop. Pavillion room has most 12pm day 1s and Amazon has most Day 2s and 5pm wsop event starts. Being a top level player is not easy Kurt.