The Pokerstar.net The Big Game

Daniel.In today's blog at:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...&ucat=&you referenced (seven times) what "young" kids could do to help themselves get onto poker shows on television. And what "young" kids should do when they get there.As far as I am concerned, age is irrelevant (as long as someone is twenty-one or older). There are great players of all ages who would be great on the Big Game; many of whom are even older than you (believe it or not). It's my understanding that many people in their early twenties might be uncomfortable on television, and, although they might be competitive in poker, they might lack conversational skills or the ability to relate to a group of players of various backgrounds.There's a good chance that a younger player would say, "Um. I raise 4k more." While someone a little bit older might say, "Let's make it interesting, Barry. $5500 total."I'm just suggesting that you and the producers of the Big Game could be a little bit more open minded. And, hopefully, someone who is not at all intimidated by the bright lights or the players on the Big Game, and who knows how to adapt to aggressive play and properly react to verbal attacks, can be selected.I'm sure that the viewing audience would prefer to see someone who can compete with the Big Game pros, and show them that a "regular" unknown player can play the game, rather than someone who gets pushed around by the table talk and the bets and raises.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel's comments in that blog are aimed at the young online pros who are appearing on The Big Game and not the Loose Cannons.
That makes sense, in some ways.It sounds like he's saying, without actually saying it, that Scott Seiver hiding in his space suit with his microphone muted is not good for the show, even though he's up more than anyone else at the table.
That makes sense, in some ways.It sounds like he's saying, without actually saying it, that Scott Seiver hiding in his space suit with his microphone muted is not good for the show, even though he's up more than anyone else at the table.
I can guarantee that Scott Seiver is not somebody that Daniel is talking about. He's the last thing from a nit and is talkative at the table.No offense but your read on this is really off and being able to read people is a very important poker skill.They just shot another 6 weeks of episodes so I'm sure if Daniel is thinking about anybody in particular with his remarks we won't see their play until those six weeks of shows are aired.
Can't see how this could possibly be right, Seiver has been loose aggressive and can be and mixed it up with all kinds of hands. He has been talkative, looked to push some buttons, a bit of a villian at times. He *might* be talking to/about someone like Russo, who has really just basically played premium/mid-level hands and gotten lucky/paid off,and really hasn't talked a whole lot. She may be cute in some peoples books but she also may be the most boring player on the show so far.
I can guarantee that Scott Seiver is not somebody that Daniel is talking about. He's the last thing from a nit and is talkative at the table.No offense but your read on this is really off and being able to read people is a very important poker skill.They just shot another 6 weeks of episodes so I'm sure if Daniel is thinking about anybody in particular with his remarks we won't see their play until those six weeks of shows are aired.
Don't worry about responding to him Bob. Clearly he's trolling again to try and drum up interest in his campaign to get on the big game. Maybe he should just hang out outside the tapings and preach to anyone who will listen. Sounds like a profitable idea. I'll bring the tomatoes.
Don't worry about responding to him Bob. Clearly he's trolling again to try and drum up interest in his campaign to get on the big game. Maybe he should just hang out outside the tapings and preach to anyone who will listen. Sounds like a profitable idea. I'll bring the tomatoes.
Nothing wrong with what he's posted.If he annoys you just put him on ignore.

This show is good. And it especially helps that the website lets me watch it from France, unlike a lot of other really stupid TV sites (Hulu, I'm looking at you).

We'll have tons of new great players showing up over the next few weeks including: Eugene Katchalov, Prahlad Friedman, Lex Veldius, Chau Giang, Dani Stern, Isaac Haxton, Justin Bonomo, Vanessa Rousso, Abe Mosseri, Jason Mercier, etc.
Lex Veldhuis :club: Anyway his surname actually has meaning in dutch, and I see his name misspelled everywhere in the pokerworld!
Were people complaining about the show in general? The post kinda comes off that way, I for one thought the show was good. Yes this LC was bad, but I don't think that's really a bad thing, just an observation. The set took a minute, but who cares really.
I enjoyed it aswell, and I can understand that the loose cannon concept might deter or annoy some of the good players, but it gives the average joe the feeling he could be there amongst the pro's. So it's definetely a great set-up for television. Also I really like Amanda not just because of her looks but she seems really genuine, which is always a great quality in show-hosts (and the looks probably help keeping the ratings up aswell).All the stats they show & explain are really fun for the reasonably good players, if you pay close attention you can pick up some pretty nice patterns you can also adapt into your own game, which gives it an edge over some of the other poker shows. Ofcourse I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but if the concept is truly as portrayed, 9 times out of 10 the loose cannon is always playing way over his head & for potentially life changing amounts of money. I think that's a good setup for television, then again it's also a set-up for depression & misery. If you can hardly pay your mortgage and your sons college money, losing 200k after flopping a flush on one of the last hands could really devestate someone (I remember that happening on one of the episodes). Random people usually don't have that same emotional control pro's have, so I seriously hope you guys have some therapist (or any other kind of) aftercare to handle blows like that.

after daniel says something along the lines of "everyone here but one is up money", lex does an absolutely wonderful turn to the camera stare. <laugh> it was a perfect moment.

ThisScott was awesome, Todd should be run off of TV poker for being such a nit and a bump on a log, Phil at least is an entertaining nit but never brings action.Really cringing to see the nits DN mentions in the blog.Hated the time DN tanked about calling Scott and almost talked himself into calling, it was almost like dejavu of some bad calls on HSP.
ThisScott was awesome, Todd should be run off of TV poker for being such a nit and a bump on a log, Phil at least is an entertaining nit but never brings action.Really cringing to see the nits DN mentions in the blog.Hated the time DN tanked about calling Scott and almost talked himself into calling, it was almost like dejavu of some bad calls on HSP.
Phil has been the most aggressive and the most active this week, and has brought oodles of entertainment. The LC sucked but this was one of the better weeks overall. When did Prahlad have plastic surgery, or is it just the clean haircut?
Phil has been the most aggressive and the most active this week, and has brought oodles of entertainment. The LC sucked but this was one of the better weeks overall. When did Prahlad have plastic surgery, or is it just the clean haircut?
It's funny to me how backwards Hellmuth's thought process is (regarding strategy, not just his delusional thoughts). He has been very aggressive but blind aggression/reckless imo. The hands, positions and sizing of his constant 3betting seems bad to me, and it's quite obvious from the JT hand vs Mercier that he has a timing tell (as well as just being obviously tilted... hope he doesn't pay his mindset coach too much)Prahlad, Dani and Eugene all seem to have PR people coupled with the shows makeup people.

I thought the show was great this week. LC was horrible. I can't imagine how he ever qualified on any level. Poor player, weak personality. Never seen Hellmuth so aggro. Hope he's back on future shows.

I thought the show was great this week. LC was horrible. I can't imagine how he ever qualified on any level. Poor player, weak personality. Never seen Hellmuth so aggro. Hope he's back on future shows.
I liked Helmuths aggression, don't see why he was so married to QQ against the other dudes KK, especially when a K hits the flop, not hard to believe the guy has A-K, K whatever. I liked his aggression, it just seemed like he was willing to call off in spots where he would not usually be willing too.