• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

Any book nerds up in arms over the changes?

Im hoping they can use this to redeem Sansa somehow. That character needs it.

I've read all the books and I like most of the changes.

I think we're seeing now why Ramsey Snow (Bolton) and all the torture were more prominent in the tv show than the books.

• Like 1

So Bigd. I read a lot of stuff from people who haven't read anything, and a lot from people who have read everything. In general, are you able to break out the show into its own being? Are the showrunners addressing your concerns?

I've never felt the animosity towards the mediocre storylines that you have, but still enjoy the steps they've taken towards advancing plotlines. Would you do more?

Just curious,

SG in WB

So Bigd. I read a lot of stuff from people who haven't read anything, and a lot from people who have read everything. In general, are you able to break out the show into its own being? Are the showrunners addressing your concerns?

I've never felt the animosity towards the mediocre storylines that you have, but still enjoy the steps they've taken towards advancing plotlines. Would you do more?

Just curious,

SG in WB

I wouldn't say that I've been completely able to break the show into it's own being, but I think the show is a much better TV show, than the books are the books. I hated books 4 and 5 and probably won't read anymore books in the series ( though I did enjoy the first 3). Like I said, I think the show has done an excellent job, cutting out the fat and moving the story lines along. The Dany Story line is the worst example of a story line that isn't advancing, and honestly, I don't know how much more they cut out, they've cut out so much of it.

Overall, I don't think it's possible for the showrunners to have done a better job adapting the books. The real test will be, when they start plunging out into storylines that aren't in the books at all, not just dipping their toes into those story lines. Most of the problems I have with the show, are burdens that the show has from the books, and those burdens are so much worse in the books. There's only one plot line from the books that I wish had been in the TV show, which I don't really want to say because I guess there's some chance it will pop up at some point. But, I Dont mind if the show errs in editting too much stuff out, because the source material has far too much stuff, to begin with, to tell a coherent story.

Any book nerds up in arms over the changes?

Im hoping they can use this to redeem Sansa somehow. That character needs it.

I'm definitely more of a show fan than book. It's just much tighter, better storytelling. I know, shocking revelation.

• Like 1

This may be a bit off point but...well, I don't care.

I was discussing the meandering story of the books and how GRRM said that it was the result of filling in material to make sure everyone arrives where they need to when they need to and some stories are simply faster than others. How he would set down to write an eight year old's story to move them along but at the end of 80 pages the character is still 8 years old. The person I was talking to said that the fault/responsibility there lies with the editor. The editor should reign in and cut the fat, much like the showrunners are seemingly doing. I thought that was interesting and wondered if, due to commercial success/notoriety, if the editor has lost all measure of control of the author aside from pointing out grammatical errors.

Thoughts?

I think lack of editing is a scourge of the epic fantasy novelist. You never see fantasy authors write smaller novels as they get older and more successful ( and the series gets more successful) As they get more popular and more lucrative, they get more indulgant. It's a curse.

• Like 1

It's definitely an editor issue, but there is no way that any editor has a say over anything GRRM says anymore. He could just take to Twitter and say that he can't finish the book because the editor is destroying it and everyone would instantly be on his side, even if the editor was right.

It would work well if the author fully trusted the editor and they were friends, but I doubt that's super common.

There's only one plot line from the books that I wish had been in the TV show, which I don't really want to say because I guess there's some chance it will pop up at some point.

Can you post it in a spoiler? At this point, doubt I'm ever going to read the books (I can get on board with sci-fi or historical fiction, but fantasy has just never been very much my thing). I am curious though, and I don't care if I know at least something about a potential upcoming show plot line.

I like that brown lady and her sexy accent. Loved the ep when she finally got nude.

At least they had some good nudity this ep.

I wonder if Tyrion was lying about getting touched as well

Its not, its my belief that tyrion, jon snow and dany are the three most important characters and they will be alive until the very end, well past where we are in the books. Which for tyrion is almost equal to where he is on the show.

Plus, they are starting to change things from the books pretty significantly and where tyrion goes from here is a not absolutely known any more. I guess he could die, i just dont see it.

If this is a book knowledge answer, respectfully, please don't do that.

You really shouldn't look in this thread since its been established that there are idiotic people who post here who don't understand simple forum etiquette.

Answering "he will be fine" when you've made it clear that you have read the books is a spoiler you ****ing moron SA

• Like 1

Yeah, I pick on him enough already so I decided to be nice that time, but it seemed like a dickish response based on book info.

But I'll survive. It's the new, nice Ron

Well I don't care about being nice because this has all been explained to this guy and he doesn't care.

There is a difference between normal people who post on forums because they enjoy it and people who are complete losers who post because they have no other social options and they really don't give a shit what people think about them. You choose which one of those SA is.