I didn't like the Arya chapters, but I think I might have missed some stuff so I'm going to re-read them. Sometimes when I'm tired I'll read like half a chapter without really paying attention to what is going on. I'm thinking that might have happened with the Arya stuff. For instance I don't remember any of the

warg stuff

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

From the book review linked earlier:

It’s more a book to be savored for its flavor, for Martin’s considerable talent at world-building, characterization, and interaction, for his characters’ humor, bravery, skullduggery, determination, and pathos.
I think the reviewer hit the nail on the head.

just finished the chapter in book three where robb stark dies. i'm not sure i want to keep reading.

if you feel that way now, just wait until after you've read the next 2000 pages of filler garbage. I wish I would have put this series down after that chapter

ADWD stuff..

Not quite done with ADWD but close enough that I read all the posts here. Two big problems with the book is the amount of travel in this one trying to get pieces into place, and the lack of movement in Dany's storyline, all this time in Mereen feels like reading a completely different story. Tyrion was interesting as always, Jon's chapters are good. Arya got more done in two chapters than Dany did in 12. I didn't like the Theon stuff as much as some of you seemed too, but they were okay. I was hoping for more out of Barrinston's chapters in regard to flashbacks and understanding some more of the history. I also didn't mind getting Martell as a POV and him dying in the same book, he just always seemed doomed to failure from the beginning anyway.Highlights for me have been Jon killing Janos Slynt, Manderly feeding the Freys their own kin, Dany finally riding a dragon, and Arya's overall arc as brief as it was.I liked it better than Feast, still puts it as the 4th best book in the series for me. Looking forward to getting all the characters back in one book and maybe we can get back to the quality of the first three.

More thoughts...

This book left me with blueballs. I was expecting Tyrion to meet up with Dany, Cercei and Margery to have their Trials, Dany get headed back to Westeros, more Bran in general and to see Stannis fight Bolton for the North. Instead it seems like all that needs to happen in the first part of the next book. I feel like a lot happened, but not enough important things happened. There was no battle of Blackwater, or Red Wedding in this book.I don't think Jon is dead, though leaving him dead would be more impressive from a story standpoint. To much foreshadowing with Missandre seeing him in her fires when she looks for Azor Ahai reborn. I expect she brings him back and this releases him from his vow to the wall. For all we know the Nights Watch as it is may come to an end at this point.Aegon being alive wasn't a shock to me. It seems to be common practice to swap kids around when danger is involved. The letter Bolton sent to Jon made no sense. In case you guys didn't know Martin lost a bet to a Pats fan and had to write him into the book, it's the knight who also ended up getting killed by a Giant... cute right?Who is Dorne going to support now?Why is Penny important to the story?Varys actually getting his hands dirty at the end was kind of cool, Pycelle and Kevan gone... the Tyrells are going to take even more power in King's Landing.

I think he is dead and it goes to what the prologue was about. Jon will die like sixskins but will live on in Snow. Just my opinion. Personally I want him to live.

I think he is dead and it goes to what the prologue was about. Jon will die like sixskins but will live on in Snow. Just my opinion. Personally I want him to live.

Ghost. I was thinking that the prologue was more for Bran's story. Jon hasn't consciously warged yet, I don't think, so just hopping into Ghost full time might be more difficult. For Bran, Sixskins goes on to talk about how hard it was getting into people, and Bran has been doing that with regularity on Hodor, showing how strong he is in comparison to an acknowledged, powerful warg like Varymyr was. With Melisandre there, and all the powers the red priests have been showing off, it just seems like she'll have a hand in saving him in whatever capacity it turns out to be.

I agree with Theraflu. It's going to dawn on Melisandre that she needs to save Jon for various reasons, and she is by far the most powerful person of that religion we have seen. Reviving Jon like what Thoros was doing to Beric and later UnCatl should make sense.It's pretty rare for someone to die during their own POV chapter in this series too. Usually you hear about it from another character, and who else do we have at the wall that is a POV character unless it's going to switch to Melisandre.

if you feel that way now, just wait until after you've read the next 2000 pages of filler garbage. I wish I would have put this series down after that chapter

i kept reading. if for no other reason than i've come this far, i need to know how it ends.

but GRRM lost his mind in the middle of book three.

i kept reading. if for no other reason than i've come this far, i need to know how it ends.

but GRRM lost his mind in the middle of book three.

Why? I think the majority of people think Book 3 is the best book. I am curious where you think this happened and why it might be bad?
Why? I think the majority of people think Book 3 is the best book. I am curious where you think this happened and why it might be bad?

killing robb stark was a terrible decision. stannis shows up on the wall. i mean the whole story gets blown up and i cannot see why.

killing robb stark was a terrible decision. stannis shows up on the wall. i mean the whole story gets blown up and i cannot see why.

I agree completely. I was furious at the end of the book.. but at least something happened. the next 2000 pages are much, much worse.

I agree completely. I was furious at the end of the book.. but at least something happened. the next 2000 pages are much, much worse.

yeah i'm 100 pages or so into book 4 and i don't care for the new characters and the lack of progress. but i can't stop now.

Robb was young naive commander, bold but not very calculating. It basically comes down to the Frey's think they are better than they are, and don't like to be slighted. Have to be careful who your allies are and know that loyalty is always for sale. Stannis showing up on the wall makes more sense later when you see what he is trying to do. Look at a map of the world, where he was his castle ends up under siege and he has no allies anywhere near him, he went to where he thought he could gather more support.

As miserable and sad as Robb/Catelyn's outcome came to be, Robb did **** over the Frey's pretty hard by marrying his crush. They'd always defended the Twins, an important part of any march, and only opened it upon favorable alliances. Robb fucked up marrying his little love, Jeyne, and the Frey's went the other direction once the slight occured..Did GRRM have to write it that way? Obviously not...but if you look at how the series was originally built, as a trilogy, and then as a 5-book series, you can see where some of GRRM's ideas make sense in earlier idealistic views of the series outcome. Once he started extending things, they obviously weren't as well fleshed out, AFFC/ADWD will prove, and (unfortunately) you end up a lot more current in the author's decision making process as the books go on. So Robb doesn't originally die at forty or fifty percent through the series, but now that's where we stand, and there isn't a whole lot he can do about it.

Robb was young naive commander, bold but not very calculating. It basically comes down to the Frey's think they are better than they are, and don't like to be slighted. Have to be careful who your allies are and know that loyalty is always for sale. Stannis showing up on the wall makes more sense later when you see what he is trying to do. Look at a map of the world, where he was his castle ends up under siege and he has no allies anywhere near him, he went to where he thought he could gather more support.

i know what got robb killed. that isnt my point. my point is that killing off the starks at that point ruined the story. the battle was between the starks and the lannisters and robb was our guy. he was our champion. his fathers son and the king of the north. his battles and story was my favorite part of the books after ned was killed. i wanted him to win, or at least go out like a man on the battlefied. and i get that GRRM is an innovator and he defies convention and blah blah blah. there's a reason why these stories usually go a certain way, because killing off our favorite people leaves such a feeling of unsatisfaction in our stomachs. i get that in real life good people are often undone because they refuse to play the game (of thrones). but this isnt real life. i wanted robb to win. or at least if he lost it happened in a meaningful way.

it seems unlikely i'll be satisfied with the ending considering house stark has been wiped out, arya left the country, sansa is being molested by littlefinger, bran is beyond the wall, and rickon is neither seen nor heard. i really wanted robb to dominate some lannister ass. and not in a gay way, in a i'm pissed at you for killing my father way.