• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

I think these last two books have been trash. DwD is a 1000 page book of god damn filler. These epic fantasy authors need to hire editors.
I am 700 pages in to DwD and couldn't agree more. I'm all for drawing out suspense.....but this feels a little like the 2nd Star Wars prequel where nothing happens, ffs.Also, it's easy for me to follow DwD because I just read the other four in succession. But if I hadn't read book 3 in a long time, I would probably be kinda lost.
I am 700 pages in to DwD and couldn't agree more. I'm all for drawing out suspense.....but this feels a little like the 2nd Star Wars prequel where nothing happens, ffs.Also, it's easy for me to follow DwD because I just read the other four in succession. But if I hadn't read book 3 in a long time, I would probably be kinda lost.
I'm so tilted. There's almost 2000 pages in these last two books, and I seriously think they could have edited it all down to about 400. These fantasy authors get such a hard on for the worlds they create, wanting to show as much of them as they possibly can, they completely lose site of the goal of storytelling...... advancing the plot. This isn't story telling at this point, it's masturbation.
I'm so tilted. There's almost 2000 words in these last two books, and I seriously think they could have edited it all down to about 400.
I like the idea of two novels being reduced to three Twitter posts.Edit: Oh wait, twitter is characters not words. Damn, I think there was a good joke in there somewhere.
I like the idea of two novels being reduced to three Twitter posts.Edit: Oh wait, twitter is characters not words. Damn, I think there was a good joke in there somewhere.
I meant pages anyway lol I mowed the lawn today, and I think i got a heat stroke.

I was a little disappointed also. I think the best word to describe it is cluster****. A bunch of rambling thoughts about the book:

I love Dany, but I don't care at all about the free companies and the people across the sea from Mereen, Yunkai, Pentos, or wherever. People care about the Starks. There was not enough Bran and Arya. Bran's few chapters were awesome imo, there were 2 chapters on Arya with nothing new about her at all. 0 talk of Sansa. I don't really care for the Bolton's, Stannis, or any of the Martell's. Aside from Theon, I think the Greyjoy's are pretty cool so I liked Victarion and Asha, but there wasn't enough of them. They talked up this battle between Stannis and the Bolton's the whole entire book and there was no wrapping that up. Jon is one of my favorite characters, but all he basically did the whole book was argue with people. I really don't give a shit about any of these red priests either. I don't care about Jon Connington getting greyscale and the other Targaryen either. I'm starting to believe that all the Targaryen's are still alive, and one new one is going come out of hiding in every book. The one Jamie chapter sucked.Also the split book thing did not work. There was a Jon chapter that was basically the same as a Sam chapter from the last book. Except it was from Jon's point of view not Sam's... (Jon sending Sam to learn to be a maester). Is that chapter really needed? Basically the only characters I really enjoyed were Tyrion and Bran (but not enough of Bran). I thought Cersei was pretty good also. It was also cool to see some progress with the dragons. Aside from that.. disappointed.

I wonder what the show will be like if it makes it this far. I think the tv audience is going to wtf also with focusing on all these different characters instead of the one's they fell in love with the first season.

I was a little disappointed also. I think the best word to describe it is cluster****. A bunch of rambling thoughts about the book:

I love Dany, but I don't care at all about the free companies and the people across the sea from Mereen, Yunkai, Pentos, or wherever. People care about the Starks. There was not enough Bran and Arya. Bran's few chapters were awesome imo, there were 2 chapters on Arya with nothing new about her at all. 0 talk of Sansa. I don't really care for the Bolton's, Stannis, or any of the Martell's. Aside from Theon, I think the Greyjoy's are pretty cool so I liked Victarion and Asha, but there wasn't enough of them. They talked up this battle between Stannis and the Bolton's the whole entire book and there was no wrapping that up. Jon is one of my favorite characters, but all he basically did the whole book was argue with people. I really don't give a shit about any of these red priests either. I don't care about Jon Connington getting greyscale and the other Targaryen either. I'm starting to believe that all the Targaryen's are still alive, and one new one is going come out of hiding in every book. The one Jamie chapter sucked.Also the split book thing did not work. There was a Jon chapter that was basically the same as a Sam chapter from the last book. Except it was from Jon's point of view not Sam's... (Jon sending Sam to learn to be a maester). Is that chapter really needed? Basically the only characters I really enjoyed were Tyrion and Bran (but not enough of Bran). I thought Cersei was pretty good also. It was also cool to see some progress with the dragons. Aside from that.. disappointed.

I wonder what the show will be like if it makes it this far. I think the tv audience is going to wtf also with focusing on all these different characters instead of the one's they fell in love with the first season.

I gotta say, I loved the Reek/thenon chapters. But I agree with most of what you said. I feel like we've been slogging with Dany and the slavers for 2 books now, and it still isn't done yet. Very frustrating. This whole book was "lets gather everyone up to do something the next book" and the gathering isn't even finished. And, if they arej ust killing off the Dornish prince, why the **** have him? why have the dornish chapters in the last book? it's just masterbatory.. it's Martin saying "hey, look how complex and detailed my world is".

Just wait until Theraflu gets hold of you two...
They're capable of reading, why would I have a problem with that?I'm just over halfway through, so I won't be reading the spoiler tags for another week or so.
They're capable of reading, why would I have a problem with that?I'm just over halfway through, so I won't be reading the spoiler tags for another week or so.
Are you enjoying it, so far?

just finished DwD. Not only did he not advance enough plot lines but he also seems hellbent on killing every protagonist in the series. I'm a little tired of everyone I like dying horribly and everyone I hate prospering.

I also agree that the Reek/Theon chapters were probably the best parts of this book.

Are you enjoying it, so far?
Started off pretty slow, with a too much history and names filling in empty spots that never existed until GRRM created them. I've really enjoyed other parts of it though, and on westeros.org forum they have a "still reading" subforum, with a thread for each chapter to talk about what happened and expound on theories and whatnot. It's helped me pick up on some of the stuff I've missed, like who certain people are and what certain dreams might mean, and it's helped me enjoy it more because of the immense details GRRM puts into stuff in the smallest and most insignificant of ways. I know BigD wants things to happen, and there is a ton of traveling in this where not a lot of things are happening, but most of it doesn't bother me too much, and I'm enjoying it.

just finished DwD. Not only did he not advance enough plot lines but he also seems hellbent on killing every protagonist in the series. I'm a little tired of everyone I like dying horribly and everyone I hate prospering.

I'm ok with the dying. I thought it was a little ridiculous that they spent so much time on Quentyn Martell for him to just run into the dragon pit to get killed. Jon supposedly is dead, but obviously he is going to come back as Ghost, or even a different creature. There are still plenty of characters left that I care about. It is just frustrating when the characters that I care about get shitty chapters. I'm really frustrated with Arya who was soooo awesome in the first three books. I totally understand that characters from the last book were not going to get as many chapters in this book, but why even bother if they are going to do nothing to advance their storyline. I thought Arya's chapters and Jaime's chapters were extremely bad.I liked Reek's character also, I just think the Bolton's suck and are eventually all going to get killed. So why not just kill them all off already. If Theon doesn't go badass and eventually take over the Iron Islands then his storyline is a waste of time. I forgot to mention that I loved all the Barristan the Bold stuff. Also, I like Jorah Mormont a lot better now with his new "I dont give a shit" attitude. I just wish everyone would get the hell out of Mereen already.

I definitely appreciate Barristan's storyline. It's the only worthwhile part of Daenerys being in Meereen for the last two books.

I assumed the red witch was going to bring jon back to life like the red priest did. And they didn't actually show him die, he may have lived through the stabbing.

Yeah, probably....just like Tyrion was "drowning" and then he was saved a few chapters later. I still don't like it. Jon Snow is the last true rooting interest I have left from book one.

Yeah I know that's a lot to ask for in a book.
[Jay-Z demonstrative laughter pic]

Dance with Dragons spoilers

I assumed the red witch was going to bring jon back to life like the red priest did. And they didn't actually show him die, he may have lived through the stabbing.

He's never done that before (supposedly killed off a character at the end of chapter only for it to just be a dramatic end)oh wait. he does it like three times in every book now.I've been saying (well not on here) that the whole thing about how "he killed Ned Stark so anyone is now game" is mostly BS. How many POV characters have died other than him? I think Arys Oakheart is the only one and I guess now Q Martell. Both dying in the first book they became POV characters. I know that a ton of other major characters have died but only a few of them have really had a big impact. BTW, I'm not counting Catelyn since she's a zombie fish now.I thought there was a chance he'd kill off Cersei in this one.Anyway, I liked the latest book quite a bit. Same old good stuff. Even with all the other characters I didn't really care about (Dornishmen and what's his face. Griffin. Not Peter), it was still a blast. I think the Reek/Prince/Ghost/Theon chapters came close to stealing the show away from Tyrion. Jon's were strong. I'm always a big fan of Arya's stuff so it was nice to have those in there at the end.I do have problems with the whole Meereen/Dany chapters. There's way too many damn characters and strange names. When they mention names and how they can't trust so and so from such and such, sometimes I just have to trust them.So as far as the next book goes, I'm looking forward to 2018 or so when the next one comes out (well with the series maybe maybe he'll have to get them out sooner). What would you do (ooo-ooooo) to see the Hound become a POV character? That would be quite fun.

So as far as the next book goes, I'm looking forward to 2018 or so when the next one comes out (well with the series maybe maybe he'll have to get them out sooner). What would you do (ooo-ooooo) to see the Hound become a POV character? That would be quite fun.

They are going to have to so something with the hound, right? they can't just have him be a monk doing nothing for the rest of the books. There has to be a reason he went to the monastery. I think he's going to join the religious military order. I think he even may fight against cersi's champion for the faith, so it would be the hound verses zombie mountain, which would be hilarious and awesome.

They are going to have to so something with the hound, right? they can't just have him be a monk doing nothing for the rest of the books. There has to be a reason he went to the monastery. I think he's going to join the religious military order. I think he even may fight against cersi's champion for the faith, so it would be the hound verses zombie mountain, which would be hilarious and awesome.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Clegane's have to stand off against each other at some point. I didn't even think of the Cersei trial aspect of it, I like that a lot.As for the rest of the book...Most of Dany's stuff sucked. Why GRRM takes one of his most enjoyable characters and makes her a sniffling, incompetent, sex hungry girl that hasn't learned anything about leading her people, only to bring her back to point A at the end, seems like a waste. The Barristan stuff was good, and I didn't even mind most of the Quentyn Martell stuff. Yes, its kind of strange to spend all those pages on introducing somebody for the first time, only to kill him off at the end, but overall Dorne does play an important part. What I would have preferred was not wasting Dany's first 6 chapters or so on her just sitting around failing, when he could have moved up Q's arrival, and then been able to have gotten either/both Tyrion and Victarion there, and started to make shit happen.Speaking of Tyrion, I didn't really like most of his chapters either. He's funny and smart in them, but it was also a lot of wasted time. Hooking him up with Mormont is a good idea, and I like having Tyrion kind of watch over him and bring him along, but I didn't really love it. There was also no chance that he died when he fell off of Griff's boat. Like the tomato said, you never really believe the death scenes until there's conclusive evidence.Speaking of, earlier, Victarion, I like him and his badassery. His last chapter where he just kills everyone was probably one of the most death-riddled in the entire story, especially if you discount any of the real battles. With Moqorro at his side, and the possible power of both R'hllor and the drowned god, he could fuck some shit up. Also, hopefully he ruins Daario quickly, if he's not being flung from a trebuchet at this point. Totally not enough Bran. His last chapter was how early? Especially with him not being in AFFC, and setting his storyline up to be so badass, to just go away from him like that? And then to hint at him while he's watching Theon and whispering in the godswood, but to just not go back his viewpoint at all? Really, really needed one more of his chapters in the last 100 pages. I liked the Arya stuff, whoever didn't is a little crazy, IMO. You're getting to see all the training of the faceless men, plus how they change their faces, PLUS she's learning how to warg, and do it effectively. What else do you want? There should only be awesome things to come from her in the next book, although she's probably going to end up with a terrible choice of killing....well, I was going to say Jon, but maybe someone else in her family as the final test. I don't think she'll go all the way in the faceless man world, but pretty far.As far as Jon goes, I read that last night and was pretty sad. Even though he's probably not completely dead, I was excited for the story arc and what was going to come of it. Bowen Marsh stabbing him with tears in his eyes was very sad. Melisandre probably resurrects him, and there's a lot of reason to think that Jon will be Azor Ahai reborn, with Mel having seen him in her fires all the time, and a whole bunch of other shit. There's also the Ghost possibility, and the possibility the Wun Wun just started kicking ass and the wildlings joined in and fucked up Selyse and crew before Jon fully died. Liked the Cersei stuff, was hoping to get to her trial. Jaime's chapter was pretty pointless, but what happens with him/Brienee/Catelyn will be a good read. Varys comes out waaaay ahead in his game, but kind of sucks that Kevan had to go. He was a little soft, but a good leader. Surprised Pycelle just got offed so quickly. Thought he'd be around Tommen for a while.

Somehow I forgot Reek/Theon, but those were probably my favorite chapters, partly for the content and partly for the writing. Some really good/brutal stuff in there, but the complete mental break down was agonizingly interesting to follow.Lastly, Wyman Manderly fucking rules. Did you catch that the meat pies he brought to Ramsay's wedding were actually the Frey's that were missing, as he's singing and dancing and mowing down slices, giving them to everyone. It was fantastic.

Just finished the book 10 minutes ago. Still bothered by Jon's last chapter. Overall I am pleased. I am not saying that is was slow at points and didn't go somewhere all the time but overall I enjoyed reading it.Obv loved Theon's chapters. I as well don't understand people's displeasure with Arya's Chapters. Sure she didn't have 8 chapters but the 2 or 3 she did have went places. Dany is Dany. I have never fully enjoyed her chapters but maybe with her out of Mereen things will look up. I actually enjoyed her last chapter.Selmy is awesome.I did not realize that the meat pies were Frey's. That is awesome. Varys is pretty bad ass too.Dorne people didn't bother me like it did for others.Ummm, yeah. Tyrion always pleases me. Cersi is effed up and I like it. so yeah, glad I read it.

This TV Critic feels that too many breasts are being shown on the show - I think that they enhance the storyline myself!LA Times
I'm not going to read a review from a chick that thinks there are too many breasts. That's just crazy talk.
Casting has been good so far, I like the pick for Melisandre. The Stannis one isn't what I pictured but I'm sure they will do some work to make him look the role.
I don't think he looks like Stannis to me at all. The guy I've got pictured in my head is much more hard.

I also agree that the Reek/Theon chapters were probably the best parts of this book.

I found myself skipping to the Theon chapters. They were good. I've gone back now. I agree that it's time for Dany to do something.
Started off pretty slow, with a too much history and names filling in empty spots that never existed until GRRM created them. I've really enjoyed other parts of it though, and on westeros.org forum they have a "still reading" subforum, with a thread for each chapter to talk about what happened and expound on theories and whatnot. It's helped me pick up on some of the stuff I've missed, like who certain people are and what certain dreams might mean, and it's helped me enjoy it more because of the immense details GRRM puts into stuff in the smallest and most insignificant of ways. I know BigD wants things to happen, and there is a ton of traveling in this where not a lot of things are happening, but most of it doesn't bother me too much, and I'm enjoying it.
Yep.