• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

Brienne the beauty has been cast..imaginarium%20Gwendoline%20Christie.jpg
I've been polishing off the books rapidly and Brienne is a great character. I'm actually going to spoiler-write a bunch of thoughts about the books soon because I think this series (the books) are really great but in a very non-traditional way.
I think this series (the books) are really great but in a very non-traditional way.
Well, I think that's the point of the books, is to skewer traditional fantasy conventions. There's a dwarf, but instead of a mythic dwarf, he's an actually dwarf. Brienne is the tradition of going on a "quest" in mythology, but just turned on it's ear, taking all the romance and honor out of it. There are several things like that in the books.
Well, I think that's the point of the books, is to skewer traditional fantasy conventions. There's a dwarf, but instead of a mythic dwarf, he's an actually dwarf. Brienne is the tradition of going on a "quest" in mythology, but just turned on it's ear, taking all the romance and honor out of it. There are several things like that in the books.
I think it may be and it is brilliant in its own way. It also makes the books tough to read sometimes for reasons I will explain another time. I'm halfway through A Storm of Swords and looking forward to finishing A Feast for Crows right around when book 5 gets released.

About 800 pages into Storm of Swords - all I can say is Wow! Peter Dinklage does a great job in portraying Tyrion; hopefully he gets nominated and wins some awards.I'm also glad to see how Martin weaves back into the story characters who disappear for awhile. It looks like Storm was written in 2000 so he sure has slowed down the pace since I only have Feast left before the new book (Dance with Dragons) comes out in a few days.

About 800 pages into Storm of Swords - all I can say is Wow! Peter Dinklage does a great job in portraying Tyrion; hopefully he gets nominated and wins some awards.I'm also glad to see how Martin weaves back into the story characters who disappear for awhile. It looks like Storm was written in 2000 so he sure has slowed down the pace since I only have Feast left before the new book (Dance with Dragons) comes out in a few days.
He had a lot of trouble with book 4, which became books 4 and 5. Vast fantasy stories are hard to pull off well, imo.
I think now that I am in book 3.....it is becoming more and more apparent how good a job HBO did casting the show. Very spot on without almost every major and minor character. There are only two major characters I could think of where I think they should have gone with someone different, Robert Baratheon and Jorah.
Camelot got cancelled, your never going to see Lancelot.The bright side of that is a lot of people think James Purefoy and Eva Green will be open to new roles in Game of Thrones, Eva could pull off Melisandre really well.
speaking of breasts...I had no idea how wonderful Eva's are. Like WOWya, I'm not that sad at Camelot ending. it was fun enough to watch just cause I've grown up with that story but won't really miss it. I'm sure somebody else will give it a go down the road.I'm watching the Game of Thrones again and I must say it's almost better the second time through. Maybe moreso since I didn't read the books and so I missed how great some of the earlier scenes actually were.I kind've want to read the book but I've been warned that it's a sick long read. Definite time issues.

Your really missing out not reading the books. If nothing else grab the first audio book and listen to it in your spare time, Roy Dotrice does a great job with the narration.

That is not the issue I have with it. I'll tell you the issue I have with it, but It contains major spoilers. So read at your own risk..

The problem I have with book four, really starts in book three. Book three really should have been brining the series towards an end, brining it closer to the inevitable conflict. But at the end of book three, the starks get slaughtered, arya leaves the continent, tyrion kills his father and he and samsa run off,and Stannis appears on the wall to do battle with the evil of the north. So, instead of resolving things, it just sets a whole bunch of new things into motion. Which annoyed me, and much of it seemed like to just extend the series. but then, book four starts,a nd a whole bunch of new characters are introduced. The format of the books is, that each chapter is titled after a character, and it's done through that character's POV. Over the course of the First three books, there were several characters that were used from their POV. Tyrion, Eddard stark, Various stark children, Daenarys. It's a very clever device, and you get very attached to several of the characters. Book 4 has NONE of those characters, advances none of those story lines ( except arya's) Instead it introduces new characters, and takes the POV of old characters that previously were not the focus of the chapters. As I see it, there are 3 major thrusts of the story line. THe stuff going on North of the wall. The stuff going on with Daenarys, and the conflict in the 7 kingdoms. Book four wholly ignored the stuff north of the wall, and with Daenarys, and only had to do with the conflict in the 7 kingdoms, but rather than bringing that conflict into any sort of resolution, it split it off in a bunch of different directions, and introduced about a dozen new subplots, that at this point in the story, I could not bring myself to care about. I did not end up finishing the book, and I am not likely to read book five now. As I understand it, book 5 is NOT going to resolve these new directions that the author went into, but instead is going to be about all the story lines book 4 didn't cover ( and also Arya) So there won't be any resolution of story lines, or melding of them, until at least book six. And who knows how much longer he's going to do this split story thing. All I know is, there is now half the massive amount of story lines in these books, that I don't care at all about.I don't think novels, fantasy series, should be like soap operas. I do not think they should extend in ever increasing complexity, just for complexities sake. I don't think they should be extended, just for extension's sake, so the author can make some extra cash. My largest experience with this, was with the wheel of time, which I enjoyed at first, but as I read the books they got more and more unreadable, more and more complex, more and more story lines.. and it became obvious after several books, that the books aren't going anywhere, there is no resolution coming, it's just a long neverending fantasy soap opera. Not to mention, it's just not that well written. I do think the game of thrones is written better than the wheel of time, and I enjoyed the first three books, for what they were. But I can see no reason for book 4 , other than to make the series longer so the author can make more money. Or maybe he doesn't know how to end it, so he just extends it. or what ever. But if that's the direction the books are taking, I'll pass. Book 4 is just too big affront on story telling, and my patience as a reader.

I couldn't agree more with BigD - almost every one of his posts in this thread is spot on. Just finished Crows and had been avoiding this thread until I read all the books.
They nailed the final scene, I was worried about it, but it looked great. Production starts at the end of next month on season 2. Offers for a bunch of the new roles are out but are still being finalized so no announcements yet. Next season will be epic. Robb Stark, Stannis Baretheon, Renly Baretheon, and Tywin Lannister all leading armies against each other, the Night Watch's expedition beyond the wall... Dany's dragons... Tyrion running shit in King's Landing. At least the 5th book is only a couple weeks away.
I think the biggest issue for the average fan in Season Two will be

the absence of Robb throughout the entire season.

Not sure if they are going to do that or not in the series. I didn't love Clash, but obviously loved Swords and wanted to kick Martin in the nuts about halfway through Crows.

I just read the last chapter "Meanwhile, on the wall..." about 3 hours ago so I'm still not over the rage.

I couldn't agree more with BigD - almost every one of his posts in this thread is spot on. Just finished Crows and had been avoiding this thread until I read all the books. I think the biggest issue for the average fan in Season Two will be

the absence of Robb throughout the entire season.

Not sure if they are going to do that or not in the series. I didn't love Clash, but obviously loved Swords and wanted to kick Martin in the nuts about halfway through Crows.

I just read the last chapter "Meanwhile, on the wall..." about 3 hours ago so I'm still not over the rage.

Your first spoiler won't be an issue, they have already said theyy are moving story lines up from book three to cross with book two so they keep even screen time for certain characters. I'd expect them to add scenes for

Robb's romance and marriage that was only briefly covered in Cat's chapters in the books.

I've already been reading ADWD, got my hands on a leaked copy. It's quickly making up for whats missing in Feast, but reading certain chapters is weird because of the story overlap with Feast. Spoiling name of chapter so people watching the show won't know who i'm talking about, not contents...

The second Jon chapter ends with an awesome moment.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought Ecclestone was very good in 28 Days Later. I have no idea what Stannis is supposed to look like, anyway.
He's supposed to be a dead ringer for the mean CIA Deputy Director from Spy Games.