Spoilers: Right as they introduce my potential second favorite character, they take away my #1. His behavior at that wedding was so good. I wish I had a way to act like that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

Have any of you guys read any of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series? I've seen it recommended as another excellent fantasy series, and reading GoT while also watching it was a bit overkill for me so I decided to check it out. I'm only 50 pages into the first book (of 14...) but it's great. I really have no idea where it's headed or what it's gonna be like in the long run, but so far it's fun and intriguing. It seems to have a bit more magic than GrrM and I'm hoping it doesn't get cheesy or silly like Lord of the Rings with elves and wizards and nonsense. Not that Tolkien sucks, but he can get pretty cheesy.

Oh God, Tim, I wish you would have asked me first. Wheel of time is the worst, just the worst. It veers off into so many different directions. The first book is fine, but each successive book, gets more and more needlessly complex. The plot screeches to a halt as more and more elements are added to the story. You go entire books without hearing from main characters, because he's juggling so many balls. If you like complexity, for it's own sake, then I'm sure you'll love WoT. But, if there comes a point 3, 4 or 5 books in, where you find the books tedious. Do not push on. Do not hope it gets better. It does not, it only gets worse. Cut your losses.

• Like 2

Oh God, Tim, I wish you would have asked me first. Wheel of time is the worst, just the worst.

Well shit, I think I did ask you just in time. I'm literally still 50 pages into book one, so crisis averted (although I may still give just book 1 a go, since I have it).

Are there any other worthwhile series like GoT? This year is my first time really reading anything in the genre.

Book one honestly isn't that bad, and I'd say push ahead and finish it. But, I would not read any of the others. I don't really know of anything like Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't read much genre fantasy fiction WoT almost completely killed my taste for it)

Huh, well good to know, I was hoping that if I liked book 1 I had a lifetime of it ahead if I wanted.

Also I didn't even pay for it, I pirated the ebook. I'm not a big fan of ebooks and I'm also not as big a fan of pirating ebooks as I am of pirating music since selling books are an author's main revenue stream and they don't often get rich, but he's dead so I don't feel bad.

Thanks for the rec. I just started a really cool science fiction book by Alfred Bester and then started finding all this other cool sci-fi that I've heard of but have never read, so I might put fantasy on hold for awhile but I'll definitely check it out eventually. Y'all convinced to give up on the first book of Wheel of Time - not too excited to read something that's just gonna get worse and worse.

Tim,

Way of Kings is fantastic, and the second book is great as well (Words of Radiance), but it is a 10 book series with only 2 books released, if that kind of thing bothers you.

I would also strongly recommend the Gentleman Bastard sequence by Scott Lynch.(Lies of Locke Lamora, Red seas under red skies, Republic of Thieves) There are 3 books released from that series (of 5 planned I think).

Another series I would highly recommend is the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell (The winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur). It is a blend of historical fiction with a lot of fantasy elements. It is probably the most engaging, fulfilling series of books I've ever read. It's a great introduction into historical fiction too, which is kind of a sister genre to epic fantasy, in my opinion. Plus, if you enjoy it, bernard Cornwell has several other complete series' which are also pretty great.

Another pretty good one is the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest) It ventures a bit more into what you might consider "cheesy", but I remember enjoying it quite a bit, and there is a followup trilogy to that as well so lots of reading if you end up enjoying the world/characters.

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtfo.

• Like 5

Get over it, pal.

Glad they're working the Iron Bank in full. In the books I never took it seriously, and then all of a sudden there's a banker running around battlegrounds, making quips. I like where it's heading.

Also, don't really care about Dany, but that's also because of where it's heading, unfortunately.

Really like everything else. Charles Dance with more screen time is great.

Also, don't really care about Dany, but that's also because of where it's heading, unfortunately.

You really shouldn't post stuff like this.

You know when you are watching a recorded football game and a team you root for is playing, then someone walks in the room and groans and says "ugh you don't want to watch the rest of that." That is basically what you are doing with your post and you are ruining things

• Like 1