• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

Well, you sure can't say "Nothing ever happens." in a GoT episode. One of the things I have quickly come to enjoy about this series is that no one, and I mean NO ONE, is "safe". Ever since the death of Sir Hugh at the hands of The Mountain, and perhaps even before, I have been wondering who will actually survive into next season. Why the Sir Hugh thing, you may ask? Well, when a character is introduced to an important narrative thread (John Arryn's death), you might think he'll stick around some. NOT THE CASE! Hugh was almost immediately dispatched, and several other intermediate characters followed, most notably Daenerys' brother.So...the short of it is that I had already suspended my expectations of what will happen and simply am enjoying the wild ride.Re: Robb Stark: As I thought, Robb played Tywin a little, even though it came with a cost, but it seems like it was worth it so far...Nice move.

I finished reading A Game of Thrones a couple days ago. I started reading it after watching the first 3 episodes and I've been ahead of the series in my reading since about episode 4.While I think they've done a great job at putting a very large complicated story on screen I hope that HBO gives them a large enough budget and commitment now that the series is a hit that they can flesh things out and spend more time on a lot of things like they do in the books.I fully understand why in the first season they've done things the way they have but I think it can be even better if they stretch things out more.

I thought season 1 needed 12 episodes not 10, but they have done a pretty good job with it. I'm worried about how they will handle book 3 if they get that far.
I think book 4 would be more of a concern...

as they can't just abandon so many major characters for a whole season, TV audiences wouldn't put up with that. Unless, you mean, how the show will deal with the red wedding, which basically has no precedent in TV history.

On another note, regarding character mortality

after reading the 4 books, Daenarys is the only character I would be shocked to see die at this point. Others would be a little surprising, given how much time they've put into their sl's, like Jon Snow, Ayra, and Robb, but Daenarys story line is so removed from all the others, that it has to be central and important to the over all arc of the series, if they killed her off next book and made her story line the biggest red herring in literary history, well, I'd be stunned. But then again, I was stunned by the Red wedding

as they can't just abandon so many major characters for a whole season, TV audiences wouldn't put up with that. Unless, you mean, how the show will deal with the red wedding, which basically has no precedent in TV history.

i do not see book 4 being that big of a concern. book 5 should be out shortly, a book that (from rumour) runs concurrently with book 4. with them both written, tv will follow both at the same time thereby keeping whoever is in book 5 in the viewer limelight while using material from book 4.easy peasy.

The only complaint I have is that they didn't show any of the battle scene. One of the reviews I read said that its possible since its a on a TV budget, setting up an entire battle would have been a stretch if they couldn't do it the right way. It just kind of jumped and they were like look who we captured. As someone who never read the books I was very surprised this episode

It's been a few months and 7 novels later but I don't think there was much to the fight where Jamie was captured. I believe the one where Tyrion fought had him fighting and not knocked out before the fight though. Could be wrong though.

The book covers Tyrion going into battle though the way it's portrayed doesn't play well to a TV show, but the one where Jamie is captured was done very similar as it's all told from Cat's point of view as she is away from the battle and everything is explained after. Your not going to see any big battles in season 1, that was known well ahead of time. There are some upcoming things that I'm curious how they are going to handle because some of them just can't be skipped. From what I've read though the special effects company that is working on the show just quadrupled in staff for season 2. I like Robb a lot more in the show than in the book, he has his moments but they are doing a good job with him on the show. The Frey's were just as creepy as I expected.

Book 4 and 5 will be blended together for the TV show because of timelines.
This is one of those moments those of us that read the book have been waiting for the people new to the series to see.
As a reader of the book I obviously knew it was coming, but I still was glued to the screen when it happened. They filmed it perfectly getting everyones reaction and showing the last moments in slo-mo.When I read the book I had similar reaction. I wasn't running around the room, but I definitely had to put the book down and was a little upset and confused. I thought how could things move on from here?

I was soooo pissed when I read it. At least it lets you know that GRRM has no issue killing off people you might believe are integral parts of the story if not a main character. I am excited to see next weeks. I have a pretty good idea where they will end it and I am excited.

I was soooo pissed when I read it. At least it lets you know that GRRM has no issue killing off people you might believe are integral parts of the story if not a main character. I am excited to see next weeks. I have a pretty good idea where they will end it and I am excited.
Last people I saw this excited were the Pointer Sisters...

they didnt do enough to make sure people knew NED STARK was confessing to save his daughters. my buddy hasnt read the book and he was pissed that Ned sang like a bird there. i explained it and he got it. but it was a really veiled comment there by Varys (or however you spell it). personally i was hoping they'd change that so he'd go up there, and be all like, fuck you - bastard king, you aint got shit on me.

It's a story with characters, not a story about a character.
Agreed but I was still surprised and disappointed. More John Snow, please.

Yeah I mean it's obviously an ensemble thing, but he was still sort of the main character up to that point. Like McNulty in The Wire, maybe. Except without the decapitation. Anyway, I'm sure it'll just keep getting better. Is next week the season finale?

I imagine McNulty saying, as the sword/axe is falling to decapitate him, "What? What the fuck did I do?" and I am sure there are several people from the Wire who would want to swing it...

Anyway, I'm sure it'll just keep getting better. Is next week the season finale?
Unfortunately, yes. I think they've only greenlit 10 episodes for next season too, but hopefully they up it to 12. The book is longer and there's more stuff that happens.